eBikes - what's the current perspective

Status
Not open for further replies.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Yeah he's not obviously going to come out and shitcan the hand that feeds him but watching him ride - he seems to be smashing it with these new bikes and enjoying it. Doesn't seem to be holding him back
You'd look pretty happy too if you were being paid a fair whack of $$$ to ride a bike for work.

So obviously his comments do mean somethingbecause they represent his actionsand not some made up marketingshit.
You're right. He wouldn't be meeting a contractual obligation here at all...just pure and unbiased opinions like those offered by John Laws through his golden microphone in support of Telstra or Michael Jordan's love of Nike footwear.

all pedal assist and E bikes as a motorized vehicle whichwill require a particular license andsome sort of identity on the bike.They'll be banned from trail networksthe same as motor bikes etc etc.
Good. I look forward to similar actions transpiring here, where we tend to have a much more conservative approach to such things. I'm seeing a lot of the high end pedal assist bikes on the local trails, and as anyone who has ridden there knows they are the flattest boring trails in NSW. If you really need that assistance to make the piss all climb and cut an extra couple of laps for a ride...that's just fucking wierd. On trail these things do hammer. Just recently one of the local shredders was on his mum's e-bike heading to the trails along the same stretch of mostly flat cycleway as me. There was no way I could have kept up with him for the full stretch of cycleway. Sure we rendezvoused at the exact moment I was finishing about 6km of riding along the highway up a slight Hill and he was coming down the hill...but that wouldn't have made a difference. Another e-bike rider told me he rides to the trails from home (after I made a bit of a jest about how it must be relieving on the mammoth glenrock lagoon climbs) as justification of ownership and it was better than driving there. He also told me where he lives which is well within 1km of the trail head and very close to a mid trail access point. Anyway my point here was just that these rigs pump along at a pace that is much faster than most regular riders despite the no throttle hype. I have witnessed a number of mongs cornering poorly, skidding unnecessarily, and other similar wear and tear inducing techniques that wouldn't be as prevalent if they were on a regular bike. As someone who gets involved in trail maintenance from time to time this passes me off as the turn out of fat middle aged e-bike riders is about 0/1000000000000000 volunteers. If your only reason for e-biking is you can't otherwise ride I could be convinced, but if that barrier is your huge gut and arse...

But all of that is of minor concern in the bigger picture. The bigger issue I come across is fuckwits, morons, and douche bags riding these things on crowded shared paths. I live exceptionally close to a popular cycleway, I ride to work or the shops along it, I ride it recreationally, I take my nephews/niece/friend'skids on it, I fish at a few different spots along it, I drink coffee beside it as well. It is fair to say I spend a good % of my time along this damn thing. The sad truth here is that Newcastle doesn't have a lot of cycleway or shared path and with the amount of construction work currently going on in the "city" it is regularly quite congested. As the availability of e-bikes has grown I have seen plenty of people riding them irresponsibly along this pathway. It is dangerous and will not be of benefit to the wider cycling community.

It will also potentially have great benefit in building these up as a viable transport alternative. By formalising it all this may birth a low power e-bike throttle driven industry that reduces the number of cars and motorcycles on the roads, which can only he a good thing. Sure there are already e-motor bikes, but there's probably plenty of people that want something that is more like a bicycle they don't have to pedal, as evidenced by the popularity of the current varieties.

There was an explosion of throttle and pedal powered bikes around here about 10-15 years ago. The most common looked like a vesper and were of particular popularity with house-os and drug runners. They became such a pest that they were specifically banned, sending one local bike shop under at the time. However with the proper planning this mode of transport could become a viable future option.

Last edited:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Yeah, this is the point where I curb my enthusiasm, though.

Each to their own and all but I have issues with able bodies taking short cuts, but that's just me looking at the world through the prism of my own values and biases.

I have more concrete concerns about what advocating for able bodies to ride e-bikes will do to congestion and over-use of trails and ultimately access to those trails. These are all discussions that we've had previously in this thread.
I agree with @johnny in this regard.

I also feel that if you're able bodied (or just unfit) and want to take the easy option...grow some balls and get a dirt bike. But don't you ride it on my trails.

You'd look pretty happy too if you were being paid a fair whack of $$$ to ride a bike for work.

You're right. He wouldn't be meeting a contractual obligation here at all...just pure and unbiased opinions like those offered by John Laws through his golden microphone in support of Telstra or Michael Jordan's love of Nike footwear.

Good. I look forward to similar actions transpiring here, where we tend to have a much more conservative approach to such things. I'm seeing a lot of the high end pedal assist bikes on the local trails, and as anyone who has ridden there knows they are the flattest boring trails in NSW. If you really need that assistance to make the piss all climb and cut an extra couple of laps for a ride...that's just fucking wierd. On trail these things do hammer. Just recently one of the local shredders was on his mum's e-bike heading to the trails along the same stretch of mostly flat cycleway as me. There was no way I could have kept up with him for the full stretch of cycleway. Sure we rendezvoused at the exact moment I was finishing about 6km of riding along the highway up a slight Hill and he was coming down the hill...but that wouldn't have made a difference. Another e-bike rider told me he rides to the trails from home (after I made a bit of a jest about how it must be relieving on the mammoth glenrock lagoon climbs) as justification of ownership and it was better than driving there. He also told me where he lives which is well within 1km of the trail head and very close to a mid trail access point. Anyway my point here was just that these rigs pump along at a pace that is much faster than most regular riders despite the no throttle hype. I have witnessed a number of mongs cornering poorly, skidding unnecessarily, and other similar wear and tear inducing techniques that wouldn't be as prevalent if they were on a regular bike. As someone who gets involved in trail maintenance from time to time this passes me off as the turn out of fat middle aged e-bike riders is about 0/1000000000000000 volunteers. If your only reason for e-biking is you can't otherwise ride I could be convinced, but if that barrier is your huge gut and arse...

But all of that is of minor concern in the bigger picture. The bigger issue I come across is fuckwits, morons, and double bags riding these things on crowded shared paths. I live exceptionally close to a popular cycleway, I ride to work or the shops along it, I ride it recreationally, I take my nephews/niece/friend'skids on it, I fish at a few different spots along it, I drink coffee beside it as well. It is fair to say I spend a good % of my time along this damn thing. The sad truth here is that Newcastle doesn't have a lot of cycleway or shared path and with the amount of construction work currently going on in the "city" it is regularly quite congested. As the availability of e-bikes has grown I have seen plenty of people riding them irresponsibly along this pathway. It is dangerous and will not be of benefit to the wider cycling community.

It will also potentially have great benefit in building these up as a viable transport alternative. By formalising it all this may birth a low power e-bike throttle driven industry that reduces the number of cars and motorcycles on the roads, which can only he a good thing. Sure there are already e-motor bikes, but there's probably plenty of people that want something that is more like a bicycle they don't have to pedal, as evidenced by the popularity of the current varieties.

There was an explosion of throttle and pedal powered bikes around here about 10-15 years ago. The most common looked like a vesper and were of particular popularity with house-os and drug runners. They became such a pest that they were specifically banned, sending one local bike shop under at the time. However with the proper planning this mode of transport could become a viable future option.
double bags ?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
double bags ?
Fuck me! This phone...I mean I type douche bag often enough that even if douche was a made up word it should be automatically in the fucking dictionary! For fuck sake it autocorrects shift to shit often enough!!! I was not referring specifically to unattractive people, though....plenty of them around here too!

Thanks for the heads up. Can't believe.you read so much of my post. Beware the sneaky edit.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
There's a lot whining and sulking going on about road riders getting too many laws in their favor and people subsequently claiming its ruining their live's and costing them millions of seconds of time per year to badly overtake a cyclist. They're up in arms now saying roadies should be only allowed to ride single file etc etc blah blah blah. There's the constant rant that "fuckin' roadies should be paying rego! That'll fix all our problems!". I have issues with 98% of the things people say about sharing the road with cyclists and I have issues with 98% of the things roadies say about sharing the road with vehicles but I choose to just live life happily ever after and share the road.
Sometimes I do pipe up and say to people saying roadies need rego will eat their words big time if that happens as that will come with more laws making roadies more empowered and legally able to do more. Stay with me, I'm getting there! What if, just what if E bikes become that much of a thing in Australia that they become the most common two wheeled thing on the road (I won't call them bicycles, they aren't). What will Australian's be like on the road if E bikes are so common rolling along at 45km on the flat that it is actually a pretty risk move to pass someone?
Can E bikes on the road start a civil war?

bikie

Rock Bottom
I think you need to temper your hypntotism with the very real and visceral skepticism of and resistance to the latest standard and marketing that we see in MTBing.

This forum is overflowing with resistance to that shit so I don't see how you can make this comparrison in this particular forum.
What? I'm not making a comparison. It's an observation. I don't need to temper anything. I try stuff and if it's good then I use it. I don't crap on about how shit something is when I have no idea about it because I'm in some special old man's club that overflows with resistance and skepticism.

This is what puzzles me.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Fuck off @Dozer!!! Australia invented the V8 and we will never let long haired bong water drinking hippies like you take away our right to drive an excessively overpowered vehicle in an inappropriate way in an area it is not suited to! What would our mighty road warrior think of such sissy talk? #layofftheshroomsbro!

With our state governments greedy claws always reaching for more cash I don't know how they haven't worked out a way to get cash from us yet. This new style of 2 wheeled transport might be just the opportunity.they have sought. What if e-bikes suddenly trigger bicycles being made illegal on the road (and the footpath)!!!!!???

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
And? He adjusted and is now having a ball. Do you not adjust between bikes?
He is a pro and struggled to move the bike around, it was in no way like his normal style. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to read between the lines ie. It may be fun, but it's no longer a bicycle. That principle means something, maybe not yourself, but to quite a few people.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
It may be fun, but it's no longer a bicycle.
Exactly.

I'd certainly be interested to try one, but in their current format they don't really appeal as a substitute for a mountain bike. They seem heavy and cumbersome, and while the very talented can apparently throw them around with a bit of style, average joe is probably just going to steamroll over everything in a fairly straight line. Skill and fitness development are going to slide down the list of priorities for many of these guys when electric torque can help them over that rocky pinch climb.

If the tech advances to the point where some pedal assistance found it's way into a bike with a similar weight to current trail bikes, I can see the appeal of being able to enjoy a long back country excursion that might otherwise be difficult.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
What? I'm not making a comparison.
Yes you did.

I don't need to temper anything.
Yes you do.

I try stuff and if it's good then I use it. I don't crap on about how shit something is when I have no idea about it because I'm in some special old man's club that overflows with resistance and skepticism.
Well at least you won’t feel left out given your membership in the condescending wankers club.

Feel free to carry on without me caring what you say next.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Well I’m 61 years old and hope to remain ebike free for as long as possible.
Good on you Lazmo, keep err going as long as you can. I know quite a few 60+ blokes who can hand my ass to me even when I'm at peak fitness... some fit old blokes out there.

I always remember a quote I read quite a few years ago and its 100%

When you rock up at a race and think it looks in the bag...

"Always beware of Old blokes, Locals and SingleSpeeders..."

The bigger issue I come across is fuckwits, morons, and douche bags riding these things on crowded shared paths.
With anything, you are going to get a wider range of people joining up when things get easier, dirt bike crew ? who couldn't be bothered riding a proper bike, now taking the sport up... the only saviour is, 6 GRAND FOR A PUSH BIKE, can get me 3 new dirt bikes that can.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
With anything, you are going to get a wider range of people joining up when things get easier, dirt bike crew ? who couldn't be bothered riding a proper bike, now taking the sport up... the only saviour is, 6 GRAND FOR A PUSH BIKE, can get me 3 new dirt bikes that can.
What new dirt bikes are you buying for 2 grand?

It’s funny because the serious dirt bikers I know ride xc bikes more than there moto’s. And full blown xc too, not long travel fun bikes.
Fit as fuck those dudes, and can ride bloody well. We should be thankfull we don’t have more of em jumping ship, it’d get embarrassing getting shown up all the time.

The moto guys that by these are the same that burn across sports fields on an old 85, rats tail flapping in the wind and a ladidas fanny pack strapped under their armpit (or kaos pouch as some like to call it).

stirk

Burner
I don't see any e-MTB around my bush but the e-bikes used by food delivery people are a pain in the arse.

They seem to want to own the footpath in the CBD even though not allowed to ride on it . And in shared areas they scoot along at 30kph with no warning as to their approach behind you. It's motorbikes on the footpath.

I think this thread can be summed up now.

E-bikes are motorbikes used by lazy able bodied people for the wrong reason or old or injured people for the right reason.

The food couriers can fuck off.

ozzybmx

Not new, but new to them.

It’s funny because the serious dirt bikers I know ride xc bikes more than there moto’s. And full blown xc too, not long travel fun bikes.
Fit as fuck those dudes, and can ride bloody well. We should be thankfull we don’t have more of em jumping ship, it’d get embarrassing getting shown up all the time.
Yes, these guys are 100% and already ride bikes... and agree, bloody fit blokes and great skill too.

The moto guys that by these are the same that burn across sports fields on an old 85, rats tail flapping in the wind and a ladidas fanny pack strapped under their armpit (or kaos pouch as some like to call it).
These are the 2k (or less) paddock beaters, hard to think they will splash 6K+ on an ebike.

ozzybmx

I think this thread can be summed up now.

E-bikes are motorbikes used by lazy able bodied people for the wrong reason or old or injured people for the right reason.

The food couriers can fuck off.
I own a Giant Full-E Pro (bought for the missus as she has knee issues), I have ridden it 3 times, 2 of them to try it and last week, the day before a 4hr endurance race, I took a few people for 2 laps of the course.... very little energy expended, exactly what I needed.
Also people doing trailwork and accessing the same point to work where vehicles cant get in, there are many 'acceptable' reasons why able bodied people could ride them. They are definitely different and not really my cup of tea but they will be here to stay and after a bit of experience on them, as long as the pedalec 250w bike is ridden, there is no more damage to trails than a normal rider.

stirk

Burner
I own a Giant Full-E Pro (bought for the missus as she has knee issues), I have ridden it 3 times, 2 of them to try it and last week, the day before a 4hr endurance race, I took a few people for 2 laps of the course.... very little energy expended, exactly what I needed.
Also people doing trailwork and accessing the same point to work where vehicles cant get in, there are many 'acceptable' reasons why able bodied people could ride them. They are definitely different and not really my cup of tea but they will be here to stay and after a bit of experience on them, as long as the pedalec 250w bike is ridden, there is no more damage to trails than a normal rider.
Ok you add a couple more reasons why a racer or trail builder might enjoy an e-bike but wouldn't a Segway be more fun?

Flow-Rider

Burner
stoner.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.