Electric Vehicles etc

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member

tubby74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just back from another road trip, Sydney to Gold Coast. Despite reports I waited 2 minutes at mclean, no waiting any other stop. Some places showed a wait when we were 20 minutes away and 0 cars by the time we got there. I think most people know to charge not to full but to get to the next stop, as charging in to 20-80% range is much faster than the last 20.

Downside this time was charging around coolangatta. There was a chargefox station 2 minutes from the apartment. Great, I can charge over dinner at less than half the tesla rate. Nope, didn't work. At the airport shops there was a slow charger and a fast charger, also chargefox. Slow one didn't work, fast one did. Lucky the car already there was done shortly. Still wasn't supercharger fast.

The only tesla supercharger on the Gold Coast is at pacific fair. 25km from every we were in kirra. We planned meet ups for lunch around that but charging at the far end of a trip away from home remains an inconvenience. Also annoying is the need to plan something then run back and move the car when it's done in 35 minutes to avoid the $1 a minute idle fees. I get why they are needed but it ties you to the car a but there.

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
Despite reports of huge queues, just did sydney to gold coast. 2 chargers were empty when we pulled in and waited 2 minutes for one at mclean. Though this is again a very well run route and inland trips may not be so easy.
I did a road trip with my brother in his Model 3 from Canberra to Geelong and found it pretty easy with the supercharger network. We didn't have to wait anywhere but there were two cars waiting at Euroa when we came back to the car.
Overall, it was a pretty pain free trip.

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
How long does it take to "fill up" when on a road trip?
We did three stops with around 10 to 15min charge at each stop. Could have done with two stops but my brother wanted a fairly full charge when he got on the Spirit of Tasmania ferry.

tubby74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
we did 3 stops - 2 were listed as under 10- minutes and notice that we were ready to continue the journey came before we'd finished toilet break and a short walk. 15-100% at coffs harbour was longer (that last 20 is about 1/3 the speed to less than the 20-80), but still had to not dawdle back to the car after lunch in the shopping centre before idle fees start 5 minutes after your charge is done

Scotty T

Walks the walk
This is a great video to send to clowns who try to tell you:
  • Hydrogen has a future in electric cars
  • Synthetic petrol has a future
  • Cobalt and nickel mining is killing all the kiddies
  • All ur electrons come from burning coal which is as bad as petrol

madstace

Likes Dirt
This is a great video to send to clowns who try to tell you:
  • Hydrogen has a future in electric cars
  • Synthetic petrol has a future
  • Cobalt and nickel mining is killing all the kiddies
  • All ur electrons come from burning coal which is as bad as petrol
I'll admit I skipped around on this but I didn't see anything to counter your third point. There's substantial evidence of how terrible the impact of the rare earth mineral mining is for the immediate areas where it occurs. More to the point, there's substantial evidence there's simply not enough of these elements to meet demand for electric vehicles to go mainstream. For that to happen, as well as improve the ethical, environmental and commercial viability of BEV, battery tech needs to improve. Sodium-ion and the various solid state tech currently being worked on seem the most promising short-term.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
I'll admit I skipped around on this but I didn't see anything to counter your third point. There's substantial evidence of how terrible the impact of the rare earth mineral mining is for the immediate areas where it occurs. More to the point, there's substantial evidence there's simply not enough of these elements to meet demand for electric vehicles to go mainstream. For that to happen, as well as improve the ethical, environmental and commercial viability of BEV, battery tech needs to improve. Sodium-ion and the various solid state tech currently being worked on seem the most promising short-term.
Yeah sorry, that's in another one he did on battery tech, but as I recall the points were that battery tech is moving on so will need less/none of these minerals, those minerals are not the only ones killing kiddies, and those minerals are not only used for batteries. Those points are generally the schtick of the anti ev crowd.

The oil industry might not kill the kids getting the stuff out of the ground any more, but it kills us all coming out the tailpipe.

downunderdallas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It might not be in this video but the majority of EV's coming into Australia now are cobalt free, Lithium Iron Phosphate (all base model Teslas and BYD's) FWIW Australia also mines a decent chunk of the world's cobalt.

Are you talking about rare earth minerals or cobalt and lithium? They are different things. There is actually heaps of lithium it's all over the place including the ocean, just takes a while to get mines/refineries operating and some things are more economical than others. Sodium-ion would be cheaper and plentiful if they can get them dense enough and lasting long enough. Solid state would be great for density but pretty sure most of them are also lithium based.

There is a massive amount of misinformation available!