Electric Vehicles etc

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Hydrogen cars are electric cars. But with a medium battery instead of a big one, plus a fuel cell (expensive and heavy) and fuel tanks that mean they’re a packaging disaster.

Back in the days when battery took a long time to charge maybe they had an advantage, but those days are past.
Worked for the Hindenburg.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
To be fair, there have been plenty of ICE cars that challenge the “normal” looks. The original Renault espace is a good example of a successful alternative packaging.
First gen Merc A-Class too. Yeah blah blah elk test crashy crash blah blah but that was an extreme example, they fixed it and it was still very clever, just forever tarnished by that one issue.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
First gen Merc A-Class too. Yeah blah blah elk test crashy crash blah blah but that was an extreme example, they fixed it and it was still very clever, just forever tarnished by that one issue.
And the egg shaped Toyota Tarago was pretty innovative too - mid engined ;)

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
And the egg shaped Toyota Tarago was pretty innovative too - mid engined ;)
Haha when I was a kid my mate's family got the first one in NSW! Made the local newspaper. That was a cool car.
Jeep Wrangler: for when you want the archaic crappiness of a Defender but with none of the charm. I got an unhealthy amount of enjoyment out of watching that one die.

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
This is how you do an EV...
https://www.aptera.us/

Claimed to use 100 Wh per mile and potentially a 1,000 mile range. Can be home charged but also covered in solar cells. Can be scaled up in wheelbase. And apparently entering production. Even if it doesn't...this is what our current automakers should be looking to do... efficiency and function should be key.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Has anyone seen economic analysis of what percentage of EV cars would change the landscape of fuel distribution etc?

I can see a scenario (sips afternoon coffee) where if you suddenly have say 20% EVs then you've got a 20% reduction in customers for petrol stations which I think is kinda huge (I don't know much about it, but its a small profit per litre right?). Could lead to less petrol stations or much more expensive fuel and flow on effects from there?

Haakon

has an accommodating arse

Claimed to use 100 Wh per mile and potentially a 1,000 mile range. Can be home charged but also covered in solar cells. Can be scaled up in wheelbase. And apparently entering production. Even if it doesn't...this is what our current automakers should be looking to do... efficiency and function should be key.
Im glad they managed to survive, its been a long time coming and many times its been looking like they would go under. Original concept had a small ICE.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
We had one, was pretty good loading a baby, and bikes as the entire back seat came out. The clutchless manual was also cool.

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
Has anyone seen economic analysis of what percentage of EV cars would change the landscape of fuel distribution etc?

I can see a scenario (sips afternoon coffee) where if you suddenly have say 20% EVs then you've got a 20% reduction in customers for petrol stations which I think is kinda huge (I don't know much about it, but its a small profit per litre right?). Could lead to less petrol stations or much more expensive fuel and flow on effects from there?
That may happen even without EVs given that most of our fuel is imported, it's not getting any cheaper and not everyone in the retail fuel business will be making enough coin to appease shareholders and financial providers expected return criteria...EVs are just part of that...and a tiny part of that too (at this point).

mark22

Likes Dirt

And your bike and kids go where? Not function in my book.

downunderdallas

Likes Bikes and Dirt

I must admit I'm a bit surprised we haven't seen more super slippery cars covered in solar cells yet, the solar challenge cars have almost been able to demonstrate a proof of concept https://solarteameindhoven.nl/stella-vie/ - I guess getting there for a feasible number with a practical car that people will buy is the tricky part!