Final Junior MTB team roster for 2008 World MTB Championships

Squidly Didly

Has Been
Staff member
Following the completion of the 2008 Oceania Championships and in accordance with the
2008 selection policy, the National MTB selectors have added the following additional
athletes to the MTB World Championships Junior Team.

Downhill - U19 Men
Tamryn Murrell (21/07/1991 Mudgeeraba)
Tom Patton (14/11/1990 Belrose NSW

Cross Country – U19 Men
Peter Braunsteins (24/02/1990 Kew VIC)

These athletes are now added to those already selected and endorsed.

DOWNHILL - Junior Men
Dylan Prohm
Matthew Vincent
Shaun O’Connor

DOWNHILL - Junior Women
Caroline Buchanan

CROSS COUNTRY – U19 Men
Charlton Durie
Luke Fetch
Robbie Hucker
David Johnston

CROSS COUNTRY – U19 Women
Rebecca Henderson

Official release here

ferg

Likes Dirt
absolute joke laurie dinham and rhys willimse are not on the team. both on a factory rides for the whole wc season.

Plow King

Little bit.
Yeah I'm abit confused as how to Patton got in, sure he is a great rider. No denying that but hes been off for most of the season with a broken back, did he even race any state or national rounds?

Squidly Didly

Has Been
Staff member
Yeah I'm abit confused as how to Patton got in, sure he is a great rider. No denying that but hes been off for most of the season with a broken back, did he even race any state or national rounds?
Sure but he also proved his commitment and skill are still up there with the best at both the Interschools and Oceania events.

I am confused about Rhys though. That kid knows his stuff and it's interesting to see only 5 on the team. Maybe that's all Australia needs these days!

Mugger

Senir oMermber
Nice good to see Tam making it in the team, seen that kid progress to an amazingly fast rider. Bummer about rhys, thought he had it eh.

Drew.

Eats Squid
Big suprise not to see Rhys on the list I thought he would have had a pretty much guaranteed spot!
Oh well.
Congrats to all!

conor.1

Genetic Throwback
does it matter if rhys made the team or not. he is still going to the worlds under tomac isnt he?

stevenw

Pro Rider
does it matter if rhys made the team or not. he is still going to the worlds under tomac isnt he?
Rhys is racing the world cups with Tomac. You have to ride for your country to race the world champs. The sad thing is Rhys will be at the worlds with his Tomac team, now he'll just have to watch it from the sidelines. We are going to fight the ruling and all we can do is wait and see.

Matto

Likes Bikes
I agree. Props to Tom for making the team... but I think Rhys's results far outweigh the fact that Tom missed a lot of the season due to injury...

Something doesnt quite add up

dher90

Likes Dirt
im absolutely furious!!!! :mad:

Rhys finished 3rd in the series(which included a win!!), rides for a factory team and will already be over there competing at the best level in the world!!!

WAKE UP SELECTORS!!!!!

Also would have been nice to see Laurie Dinham in there as he will also be racing the world cups and will dramatically improve no doubt!!!

:mad:

my 2 cents

Yeti

Pro Rider
Rhys is racing the world cups with Tomac. You have to ride for your country to race the world champs. The sad thing is Rhys will be at the worlds with his Tomac team, now he'll just have to watch it from the sidelines. We are going to fight the ruling and all we can do is wait and see.
Steve,

Will an appeal be made? I believe Terry Scarr, Joe Fox and Luke Strom have made them in the past.

I'm also interested into why the selectors have only chosen 5 rather than 6/7. Maybe this is due to a lack of funding due to olympic priorities?

It would be good to keep us updated! Rhys should be on that team.

stevenw

Pro Rider
Steve,

Will an appeal be made? I believe Terry Scarr, Joe Fox and Luke Strom have made them in the past.

I'm also interested into why the selectors have only chosen 5 rather than 6/7. Maybe this is due to a lack of funding due to olympic priorities?

It would be good to keep us updated! Rhys should be on that team.
Thanks for all the nice comments everyone. Your comments have cheered Rhys up a little.
I will keep you all updated on our appeal. We have hit a hurdle already and it looks like we might not be able to appeal now. An appeal needs to be done when the team was announed after the Canberra Champs. Tony Scott is looking into this for us. We were told to wait until after the Oceania's to see if Rhys had made the team. We all knew in NZ that Tom was on the team. Apparently he gets a foot in the door because he raced the World Champs last year. Nothing against Tom, but I don't think its right that we had to spend all that extra money to go to NZ if they already knew who was on the team and that they would only be taking one more rider. Admittedly, Rhys should have finished in the top 3 and we wouldn't have this problem now. Hopefully I will know more tomorrow about this appeal process.

Ryan

Radministrator
Luckily for Rhys, due to his baby-facedness he should be able to scrape in to at least another 4 or 5 more junior worlds before the commisars start getting suspicious.

There's an important lesson here for everyone; never doubt the ability of the Australian Worlds selectors to cock things up.

dirtdemon

Likes Dirt
Congrats Tom. It would have been a shame if you missed out. I believe you are one of the most talented riders in the junior team and deserve your place. After your results last season and your recent results in interschools and oceania you showed that you still are capable of making an impact on the world team.

Some of you farkiners may have forgotten that this kid was learning how to walk properly about 3 months ago and in the short time since then was able to be competitive at Oceanias, imagine what another 3 months of training and competing will result in. He would have also been competing in a world cup team if it wasn't for his injuries.

Rhys should have been in the team as should have Laurie and it would be nice to know what the selectors are basing their decisions on. If they are already there and there are spots available why not give them the jersey it's not going to cost them anything but just give Australia another two chances at a gold medal.