Final Junior MTB team roster for 2008 World MTB Championships

NH_

Likes Bikes and Dirt
well they he can try again next year, after all he didnt make the criteria, but its not like this was his only chance to get his foot in the door, he is riding on a bloody wc team, for the rest of the juniors this is their chance to pick up a ride on a wc team, they have no second chance

Booost

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeh Tamryn!
I want to see some solid results from Rhys at the world cups! Prove those selectors wrong bud.

jon55sey

Likes Dirt
He still has next year. And he can prove everyone wrong. By next year if he is still on Tomac WC team he will have nearly 2 WC seasons experience and he can blast everyone and win by heaps. Rhys was born in 1991 yeah?

bighit james

Likes Dirt
I think it is very dissapointing that they are only taking 5 rather than the 7 they usually take. it does'nt help that the olympics are on during the same year...we were told that it would affect the selection...its awesome that tom is back ridding, but as steve was saying we pay the extra dollars to race the nationals and fly to new zealand for the oceanias for no real out come. i know how rhys is feeling as i am in the same boat, but its awesome that he has the opportunity to race with tomac o.s! well done to the other boys as well. see you guys at the worldcups hopefully!

cheers

James

Matto

Likes Bikes
well they he can try again next year, after all he didnt make the criteria, but its not like this was his only chance to get his foot in the door, he is riding on a bloody wc team, for the rest of the juniors this is their chance to pick up a ride on a wc team, they have no second chance

I think the point some of us are trying to make is that Rhys was more qualified under the criteria this year then Tom.

Again please dont think im dissing Toms ability, but in this instance, a rider with a better lead up season should be getting the jersey (if they are gonna only send 5 people)

ps. Rhys beat Tom by almost 8 seconds in NZ. Results don't lie.

Last edited:

Ryan

Radministrator
I was waiting for someone to drop a definite figure on how old Rhys actually is, as it had totally slipped my mind and I didn't want to get it completely wrong on the next point.

So; as Steven has said, he's still 16 and that, more than anything is probably the reason he's not going yet, the selectors have "hidden" talented riders before and he's still got two more cracks at the junior team starting in 09. Riding his first Worlds with a full WC season under his belt (2 full seasons assuming he smashes it as hard as he's expected to this year and picks up another ride for 2009) will be a huge advantage for him.

As far as I can remember, Hill is the only guy who's gone with the team at 16 in recent years and even he didn't do that well (by his standards anyway, a lowly 3rd :p) in that year.

dirtdemon

Likes Dirt
So; as Steven has said, he's still 16 and that, more than anything is probably the reason he's not going yet, the selectors have "hidden" talented riders before and he's still got two more cracks at the junior team starting in 09. Riding his first Worlds with a full WC season under his belt (2 full seasons assuming he smashes it as hard as he's expected to this year and picks up another ride for 2009) will be a huge advantage for him.

As far as I can remember, Hill is the only guy who's gone with the team at 16 in recent years and even he didn't do that well (by his standards anyway, a lowly 3rd :p) in that year.
Rhys is/or was 17 this year (born 1991) that means next year will be his last opportunity to get in the world team.

Squidly Didly

Has Been
Staff member
So; as Steven has said, he's still 16 and that, more than anything is probably the reason he's not going yet, the selectors have "hidden" talented riders before and he's still got two more cracks at the junior team starting in 09.
Rules got changed a while back and you now only get 2 shots instead of 3 at representing in the Junior Team.

Either way it's still only the start of his career and far from the end.

stevenw

Pro Rider
I was waiting for someone to drop a definite figure on how old Rhys actually is, as it had totally slipped my mind and I didn't want to get it completely wrong on the next point.

Thanks Ryan.
Rhys is only 16. When you look at the Australian team, Shaun O'Conner and Tamryn Murrell are also 16 years old.
Yes Rhys has a 2 year option with Tomac, which is great and it will give Rhys a hugh amount of experience. One thing I do want to point out is: By the time the champs are on in Italy, Rhys would of already raced 2 world cups and 2 swiss races. This means Rhys would have some experience behind him once the World Champs starts.
Yes Rhys is a very lucky kid, he knows that, but the dream of wearing the green and gold is whats making Rhys fight because he believes he has done what it takes to make the team.

Last edited:

jr cove

Likes Dirt
Sure but he also proved his commitment and skill are still up there with the best at both the Interschools and Oceania events.

I am confused about Rhys though. That kid knows his stuff and it's interesting to see only 5 on the team. Maybe that's all Australia needs these days!
they are only taking 5 riders this year because of the olympics
there have been alot of cost cutting as well

Ozza

Eats Squid
Rhys should be in the team.
Best thing you can do is train up and show them they made the wrong decision when you pin the world cups!

Jared

Yeti Cycles
I know how you feel Rhys! I was never selected as a junior at all to race worlds, and back then the criteria to make worlds team was top 3 in the national series or top 3 at the national champs, I got 3rd at the national champs but still didnt get a look in because I hadnt done enough of the other races I was told. I was gutted, but it seems so insignificant now.

But it was a good thing in the end, it got me fired up to kick some ass, and the next year I found myself selected in the Elite team.

Everyone knows you got the skills mate, you'll go very far if you keep at it! By this time next year you will forget that this ever happened!

stevenw

Pro Rider
I know how you feel Rhys! I was never selected as a junior at all to race worlds, and back then the criteria to make worlds team was top 3 in the national series or top 3 at the national champs, I got 3rd at the national champs but still didnt get a look in because I hadnt done enough of the other races I was told. I was gutted, but it seems so insignificant now.

But it was a good thing in the end, it got me fired up to kick some ass, and the next year I found myself selected in the Elite team.

Everyone knows you got the skills mate, you'll go very far if you keep at it! By this time next year you will forget that this ever happened!
Hi Jared,
Thanks for that. It means alot coming from you. Thank god you didn't give up and stuck at it.
I am gutted at the moment but it has fired me up to make the selectors realise their mistake. I'm training hard and I realise how lucky I am to be able to race the world cups ect. I believe this will make me a better rider and it will make me stronger.
Thankyou to everyone who has phoned me, or left messages on this forum. It's help me alot.
Cheers
Rhys

Downhill Domination

Captyvate Media
Look who really cares.
All these riders are absolute champions! ;)

They have beat the best in the country and to get to this stage is honourary for them. Just because a couple of people don't make it in doe n't mean that you have to criticise others because they did! ;)

Cheers to everyone who made it in and I'm sure you will do Australia proud!!!
Ty. ;)

eddie

Likes Bikes
Look who really cares.

They have beat the best in the country and to get to this stage is honourary for them. Just because a couple of people don't make it in doe n't mean that you have to criticise others because they did! ;)

Ty. ;)
Mate just shut up... what a simplistic attitude you have. Some people have issues with the selection, and rightly so given the circumstances. How disrespectful to say "who really cares", when some people have given it their all and copped alot of travel and race expenses to try and get there. Just show some respect.

mattvincent

Likes Dirt
Hey rhys!!,

I was extreemly suprised to see that rhys was not placed on the team this year, i was really looking forward to having him on the team over in italy. I really do like rhys always get along with him, just sucks that stuff like this always happens to the good people.

Heads up tho rhys next year is YOUR year, dont let any1 take it away from you this time. PM us ur mobile number too. See u in andora!

Matt Vincent

Matto

Likes Bikes
Look who really cares.

Ty. ;)
Your appear to be as ignorant as "Hucker-Booner"

The only 'criticism' thats being mentioned is that of the selectors.

DId you read the whole forum and actually see what people are writing about?

Last edited:

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member

That is advice we should all listen to,not just the junior guys and gals.

I have to ask: Do the selectors pick substitutes in case someone can't make the trip through injury?

stevenw

Pro Rider
That is advice we should all listen to,not just the junior guys and gals.

I have to ask: Do the selectors pick substitutes in case someone can't make the trip through injury?
From what I hear, they haven't taken a reserve for the last 2 years. For some fuked up reason they are only taking 5 riders THIS year instead of 7.