Final Junior MTB team roster for 2008 World MTB Championships

dher90

Likes Dirt
Rhys should have been in the team as should have Laurie and it would be nice to know what the selectors are basing their decisions on. If they are already there and there are spots available why not give them the jersey it's not going to cost them anything but just give Australia another two chances at a gold medal.

my point exactly:)

I would also like to point out that i have no problem wat so ever with Tom being on the team....he is an outstanding rider and im excited to see wat he will do at his second world championships

Best of luck mate!

stevenw

Pro Rider
Update:

Just spent the morning talking to the a few people in the know fron Cycling Australia. We can appeal but it doesn't look like Rhys stands a chance. There are 3 rules for selction in the Australian team. 1: Must at least win a national series round: Rhys won at Illinbah. 2: Must be consistent. Rhys finished 3rd National series 2 years in a row. Admittedly, he could of been more consistant in his races but mechanical problems caused a few dramas in some of his races. 3: Must be within 106% of a 1st Place elite rider. Rhys missed out by .05% at Illinbah. If Rhys had done his seeding run time, instead of slowing down in his race run because he didn't want to make a mistake, Rhys would now be in the Aussie team. There are alot of "if's" and unfortunatly Rhys didn't produce a great run when he needed to like the Australian Champs and winning the National series. Rhys could of done a better time in NZ but luck wasn't on his side. The people in the know believe Rhys should be in the team and they feel for him missing out, but rules are rules and if they break the rules for Rhys, then that opens up the flood gates for other riders to appeal.

So at the moment, we don't know what to do. There is a chance Rhys could ride for NZ, but that would mean not being able to ride for Australia later on.

I'm trying to get Rhys to focus on riding for the Tomac team and how he is a lucky kid to be given that chance. Its just hard for a 16 year old to understand how lucky he is, when all he wants to do is ride for Tomac and ride for his country.

Thanks to everyone who has phoned and sent messages on farkin and e mails. It means alot to us.

Last edited:

Matto

Likes Bikes
Update:

There are 3 rules for selction in the Australian team. 1: Must at least win a national series round: Rhys won at Illinbah. 2: Must be consistent. Rhys finished 3rd National series 2 years in a row. Admittedly, he could of been more consistant in his races but mechanical problems caused a few dramas in some of his races. 3: Must be within 106% of a 1st Place elite rider. Rhys missed out by .05% at Illinbah.
Did Tom win a national Round in the last season?

Was Tom consistent in the last Australian series?

Did Tom post a time within 106% of an 1st Elite rider in the last series?

I dont deny that Tom Patton is an awesome rider. His injury was an unfortunate tragedy, and his recovery is nothing but fantastic.
The fact remains that he hardly raced this past Australian Series, and Rhys did, and placed very well. So much so that based on the placings in the Australian series just finished, and placing at the oceanic titles (finishing ahead of Tom Patton) ,the criteria as set out above,Rhys is clearly a better rider for this past season.

Irrespective of this, there are STILL 2 spots that could still be filled, and both Laurie and Rhys are going to be over there anyways as factory riders for Tomac, so no cost to Australian MTB. And more chances of an Australian sweep on the podium

How is this such a difficult decision to make???

Daver

Kung Fu Panda
Did Tom win a national Round in the last season?

Was Tom consistent in the last Australian series?

Did Tom post a time within 106% of an 1st Elite rider in the last series?

I dont deny that Tom Patton is an awesome rider. His injury was an unfortunate tragedy, and his recovery is nothing but fantastic.
The fact remains that he hardly raced this past Australian Series, and Rhys did, and placed very well. So much so that based on the placings in the Australian series just finished, and placing at the oceanic titles (finishing ahead of Tom Patton) ,the criteria as set out above,Rhys is clearly a better rider for this past season.

Irrespective of this, there are STILL 2 spots that could still be filled, and both Laurie and Rhys are going to be over there anyways as factory riders for Tomac, so no cost to Australian MTB. And more chances of an Australian sweep on the podium

How is this such a difficult decision to make???
Tom is also the only rider with experience from last year's worlds. Very few riders have won or podiumed on their first outing at worlds... so experience is always going to be vital. Given that Tom went managed to finish just behind Sean, Matt and Bert at the interschools, which was his first race back, so with a bit of training under his belt he'll be even faster.

Raw Toast Man

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Update:
Thanks to everyone who has phoned and sent messages on farkin and e mails. It means alot to us.
and myspace;)

I think most of us can see were the selectors are coming from now... Tom had world champ experience so why not send him "to help the young'uns".
Good luck fighting it. There is always the Sunny Series :rolleyes:

Last edited:

dher90

Likes Dirt
and myspace;)

I think most of us can see were the selectors are coming from now...
I CAN'T!!!

There are 2 available spots left in the team.....it wont cost them a fortune to let them race!

i cant beleive im getting so frustrated about this but it just doesnt add up!

if you can send 7 than send 7!!! its not like were a struggling country....we can afford it!!!

grrrr:mad:

Matto

Likes Bikes
Tom is also the only rider with experience from last year's worlds. Very few riders have won or podiumed on their first outing at worlds... so experience is always going to be vital. Given that Tom went managed to finish just behind Sean, Matt and Bert at the interschools, which was his first race back, so with a bit of training under his belt he'll be even faster.
Maybe so, but based on that theory, maybe we should give Michael Ronning a call and see if he wants to race pro mens? I hear he was pretty fast a few seasons back and im sure with some training under his belt he will be back to world cup standard :D

jones1169

Cannon Fodder
I CAN'T!!!

There are 2 available spots left in the team.....it wont cost them a fortune to let them race!

i cant beleive im getting so frustrated about this but it just doesnt add up!

if you can send 7 than send 7!!! its not like were a struggling country....we can afford it!!!

grrrr:mad:
I could be wrong but as i think MTBA contribute nothing to the riders. All you get is the right to ride for your country. You have to find all the money yourself.

Squidly Didly

Has Been
Staff member
Maybe so, but based on that theory, maybe we should give Michael Ronning a call and see if he wants to race pro mens? I hear he was pretty fast a few seasons back and im sure with some training under his belt he will be back to world cup standard :D
Here's another perspective - since we're comparing this to Elite field, should we scrap half the Elite squad as most of them don't do the National Series? Hmm something else to ponder about.

stevenw

Pro Rider
I could be wrong but as i think MTBA contribute nothing to the riders. All you get is the right to ride for your country. You have to find all the money yourself.
yes your right. You even have to pay Cycling Australia some money to be in the team.

dirtdemon

Likes Dirt
For those who are interested these look like the clauses that the selectors have used

WHY NOT CHOOSE 7 JUNIORS

1.1.2 Selectors will make final selections based on merit within the limits of the quotas listed above for each division. There is no obligation by CA to fill quotas. Size of the final teams will be determined by the selectors with input from the head coach of each discipline.

WHY WAS TOM ABLE TO BE SELECTED

2.4 PERFORMANCE EVALUATION – PREVIOUS SEASONS:
As per clause 4.2.4 in Section A, performances from the previous two seasons may be considered at the discretion of the National Mountain Bike Selectors on the recommendation of the relevant National Coach especially where a quota has not been filled.

THE CLAUSES STEVE WILLIAMSE WAS REFERING TO

7. DH – U19 MEN

7.1. Initial Selections: Three (3) athletes will be selected on the basis of the following results
7.1.1. 1st Selection - 2008 U19 Men’s Australian DH National Champion. (Dylan)
7.1.2. 2nd Selection - 2nd placed athlete in 2008 U19 Men’s Australian DH National Championships. (Matt)
7.1.3. 3rd Selection - highest placed rider in the 2007/2008 U19 Men’s DH National Series who is not placed in the top two of the 2008 U19 Men’s DH National Championship. (Shaun)

7.2. Additional Selections:
7.2.1. Events: The National Mountain Bike Selectors may select additional riders in U19 Men’s DH based on consideration of performances at the following events against the performance standards set out in clause 7.2.2 below:
7.2.1.1. 2008 U19 Men’s DH National Mountain Bike Championships
7.2.1.2. 2007/2008 U19 Men’s DH National Mountain Bike Series
7.2.1.3. 2008 U19 Men’s DH Oceania Championships
7.2.2. Performance standards: Performances in the listed selection events in 7.2.1 will be evaluated against the following standards not necessarily in priority of the order shown:
7.2.2.1. Overall results: athletes who win any of the races in the 2007/2008
U19 Men’s DH National Mountain Bike Series (Rhys)
7.2.2.2. Consistently competitive results: performances in the 2007/8 National
Mountain Bike Series and the 2008 National Mountain Bike Championships, that clearly demonstrate consistently competitive results against the initially selected athletes
7.2.2.3. Time Comparison: U19 male DH athletes achieving a time equal to or
less than 106% of the time of the winning elite man at any of the listed
selection events

stevenw

Pro Rider
Here's another perspective - since we're comparing this to Elite field, should we scrap half the Elite squad as most of them don't do the National Series? Hmm something else to ponder about.
very good point Squidly. Maybe the rules need to be changed.

Drew.

Eats Squid
fark. tears all round. sum1 plz attach a box of tissues to this thread....!

PATTON SHREDS.
Yo pull your cock outta your arse ay?
Unless you completely missed the fucken point, no one said Patton doesn't shred, we all know he does.
Everyone is just suprised Rhys missed the team, and by .5 of a percent, and Patton got in, even after just returning from a major crash. Though as Squid said, Tom has the upperhand with passed experience.
It is a real shame Rhys didn't make it this year, I guess really all you can do is challenge MTBA, if not, just use it as a learning experience.
All of the selected riders have brilliant talent, not denying that for a second.

BLAKE-2234

Likes Bikes and Dirt
dylan is going to pin something feirce on his new steed

feel for rhys though he has so much potential and for him to go this year would be great imo i do not like the decision the selectors have made but their decision is final and if they think patton can pull out a win for aus at the worlds this year coming from a broke back (hehehe) then good for them. what i hate/ed seeing last year was all the junior team giving themselves stupid haircuts cmon guys you are representing us do us a favour and act like normal people

rant over

congratulations to the rest of the team i hope you can all do our country proud:)

NH_

Likes Bikes and Dirt
so rhys is 16? how many kids get on the worlds team at that age? seriously, he still has a few years until hes over the age limit for juniors, so why bring him in so early? he gets all the wc season to hone his skills and then if he performs he will be selected

in past years there has pretty much always been a rider or two on the team with previous worlds experience (delfs and bain last year) and look at their results compared to the other aussie juniors, sure theres only a few people between them but experience is experience

Raw Toast Man

Likes Bikes and Dirt
fark. tears all round. sum1 plz attach a box of tissues to this thread....!

PATTON SHREDS.
Please fuck off... no one said here that patton cant ride.

Cockhead!!
yeah, what steve said

so rhys is 16? how many kids get on the worlds team at that age? seriously, he still has a few years until hes over the age limit for juniors, so why bring him in so early? he gets all the wc season to hone his skills and then if he performs he will be selected
erience
no? next year will his last year in under 19s? yes no? otherwise robbie hucker etc can make the team next year.