Final Junior MTB team roster for 2008 World MTB Championships

BKelly

teh fast
Thats BULLSHIT! If there are more places on the team why would you not fill them especially with riders as fast as Rhys and Laurie with just as much chance of doing well as any of the other riders. You can say its for the best and he's too young or whatever all you want but with their results from this past season i think they have definately showed they are fast enough and earnt their spots on the team! With two spare spots left on the team what harm would it do to send these guys, I don't get it?

Last edited:

DH_slave

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It definitely think Rhys should be on the team, and wouldn't harm them to do so as its not like they are forking out money to help him to get there/pay for anything. cheer up buddy sic that you are going to all the world cups, talk to you later.

mtber56

Squid
Sure but he also proved his commitment and skill are still up there with the best at both the Interschools and Oceania events.

I am confused about Rhys though. That kid knows his stuff and it's interesting to see only 5 on the team. Maybe that's all Australia needs these days!
Rhys now racin for kiwi under 19 DH team and 4x

Booost

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Steve can you confirm this? Does that not mean that he will have to race for NZ in seniors?

emcgough

Likes Dirt
+1 looking for confirmation from Steve on that one. It would be sweet justice if Rhys did race with NZ and got in the top 10/top 5/did extremely well and showed the Aussie selectors what's up.

mtber56

Squid
2008 junior

Mountainbike New Zealand are proud to announce the NZ Team who will be co
The Downhill side of the team includes three former Junior World Championship medalists and current Junior bronze medallist Matt Scoles. As with the Cross Country team, NZ's depth of Downhill talent and raw speed is represented in both the Elite and the Junior ranks, with Hawkes Bay Junior athletes Aari Barrett and Brook McDonald going into this event with nothing short of complete domination of their category in mind.

Yeti/Fox full time professionals Sam Blenkinsop and Justin Leov, along with seasoned campaigner Nathan Rankin will lead the strong Elite Downhill contingent, and carry the hopes of a dynamic and fully supportive NZ MTB community. "The stength and depth of NZ's downhill athletes is paralleled only by their committment and enthusiasm - most will be leaving for Europe within the next few weeks to compete at World Cup events in Andorra and Scotland before the Italian Worlds. There is the ideal preparation for taking on the worlds best in Italy in June"

An exciting group of athletes comprising youth mixed with experience has been selected to compete in the spectacular Four Cross discipline. Matt Walker and Rhys Willemse provide the youth with 2006 Junior Downhill World Champion Cameron Cole bringing experience along with Wyn Masters and Craig Pattle

U19 Downhill
Brook McDonald - Napier
Matt Walker - Kawerau
Peter Cooper - Blenheim
Aari Barrett - Havelock North
Richard Leacock - Wellington
Rhys Willemse - Brisbane Based

Elite Downhill
Scarlett Hagen - Queenstown
Amy Laird - Christchurch
Matt Scoles - Alexandra
Justin Leov - Christchurch
Nathan Rankin - Levin
Sam Blenkinsop - Wanganui
Kieran Bennett - Nelson
Glenn Haden - Wanganui
Mike Skinner - Auckland
Cameron Cole - Christchurch

Elite Four Cross
Wyn Masters - Wanganui
Craig Pattle - Rotorua
Matt Walker - Kawerau
Cameron Cole - Christchurch
Rhys Willemse - Brisbane Based

d_j1

Likes Dirt
Ok, so the logical assumption here is that Rhys is NZ born, Aus based? Correct me if I'm wrong. As a Brissie racer, all I can say is that thank shit Rhys is on a world's teams. No one deserves it more. Congrats.

b_S

Likes Bikes and Dirt
As a Brissie racer, all I can say is that thank shit Rhys is on a world's teams. Because then when he whips my and everyone elses arse we can at least say "oh well, what else would you expect from an international racer"
Fixed it for you ;)

patto94

Likes Dirt
wait so the lowest age group that they take for world mtb championships is under 19 mens.
but what about the under 16 mens and stuff

Minimum age for a UCI world quality race is 17 on year of birth basis.They all get anouther year or two or three of practice before taking to the world.Train hard!!

stevenw

Pro Rider
+1 looking for confirmation from Steve on that one. It would be sweet justice if Rhys did race with NZ and got in the top 10/top 5/did extremely well and showed the Aussie selectors what's up.
Sorry I haven't replied sooner. We've had alot to think about lately and we've finally come to a decision.

Yes its true. Rhys will ride for New Zealand at the world champs. Rhys is looking forward to riding for his new country. New Zealand are very happy to have Rhys on their team and Rhys is looking forward to wearing the silver fern. and Yes it would be "Sweet Justice" if Rhys got a top ten result.

Rhys' Mum and grandparents all played in rep teams for New Zealand, so its good to see Rhys carrying on the family tradition.

Thanks for those who have supported Rhys over these last few weeks. It hasn't been an easy time.

Cheers
Steve/joanne

faceplant666

Likes Dirt
Wait...Wyn...Worlds Team?

FUCKIN GOOD ON YA WYN

Go for gold Wyn...

Also Grats to Rhys on getting on the NZ team And to Tom for comming back from such a horrific injury.

BLAKE-2234

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i would absolutely love to see rhys win the juniour worlds title that would be poetic justice and teach the selectors what real talent is

good luck and ride hard

d_j1

Likes Dirt
Fixed it for you ;)
Haha face saving excuses +1. Again congrats Rhys, just make it so that the Aussie selectors will be begging for you to be on the team next year! I'm still struggling to understand why the Australian selectors, as I perceive it, are 'throwing away' good riders. Yes the Olympics are on this year, but XC was in the Olympics last time and did that effect the cross country team?* Understandable that BMX is there now as well but at most that's only 3 more riders. Surely wouldn't cost so much as to drop an extra 2 spots of the DH roster for eg.

*That's a legitimate question which my argument sort of hinges on. Feel free to correct me.