Fire Warnings

D01

Likes Dirt
How much did the cut from the RFS last year, $15m or something I think. A cut anyway, not a boost in budget...

Commissioner Shane Fitzsimmons says that's rubbish.

"Not only has our budget not been cut, we are enjoying record budgets," he said.

"We have got more money today than we have ever before in the history of the organisation."

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Commissioner Shane Fitzsimmons says that's rubbish.

"Not only has our budget not been cut, we are enjoying record budgets," he said.

"We have got more money today than we have ever before in the history of the organisation."

That’s good to hear. Where was it reported that it had been cut? I don’t remember where I saw it...

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Every godam event is the worst that's ever been now.
...and oddly every snow season is the best in 20 years here at Perisher Blew, Mt Thredno, Mt Hot Ham, Fall Over Creek, and Mt Bullshit...so hurry on down forms because the fresh tracks won't last all day! This is spin poodle signing off from the carpark where we have just finished piling up all the snow we could find to get a new accurate depth measure for today.

D01

Likes Dirt
That’s good to hear. Where was it reported that it had been cut? I don’t remember where I saw it...
You might also have been thinking of the supposed cuts to Fire and Rescue, also rubbish.

This was answered on ABC Q&A on Monday night.

From Q&A transcript:

JAMES LAVERY
Sorry. Just with Fire Rescue, this year they had $13 million cut from...

JASON FALINSKI
So, that’s not true. So, that’s not true. The reason that there was a $13 million decrease in your capital budget is because in the previous financial year you had a new headquarters built, and we’re not... You know, the New South Wales government is not going to build a new headquarters for Fire and Rescue every year.

Haakon

You might also have been thinking of the supposed cuts to Fire and Rescue, also rubbish.

This was answered on ABC Q&A on Monday night.

From Q&A transcript:

JAMES LAVERY
Sorry. Just with Fire Rescue, this year they had $13 million cut from...

JASON FALINSKI
So, that’s not true. So, that’s not true. The reason that there was a $13 million decrease in your capital budget is because in the previous financial year you had a new headquarters built, and we’re not... You know, the New South Wales government is not going to build a new headquarters for Fire and Rescue every year.
So i guess the question there is was there 13M cut from the operational budget this year?

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
how come the Government and the Dept of Defence seem to find more and more reasons to spend shitloads of cash on things we don't need to fight an enemy that we don't have, but we have to borrow major fire fighting equipment from abroad each fire season
the reality of this is that the fire seasons of these countries where we are borrowing from are now getting longer, so their off season may not coincide with our fire season..
Do we really need flying submarines and invisible rocket planes?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Not since Nero did battle with the sea has there been such a monumental declaration of war! The war on fire!!!

Flow-Rider

Burner
I had a long talk with a lady chasing up donations from the Qld branch of fire & emergency services and she said that they were miles understaffed because there was a lot more than expected fires this season across Qld. The staff they had available were over worked trying to keep up with the spread of new fires.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Is anyone on here a volunteer fire fighter? I reckon I might join up. Keen to hear some real world experience on it.

Haakon

Is anyone on here a volunteer fire fighter? I reckon I might join up. Keen to hear some real world experience on it.

Ive been a paid firefighter with the Victorian government, and I’d say it the most rewarding work I’ve ever done. Its hard work but damn it’s great. Occasionally a bit scary but risk is managed pretty strictly.

volunteer brigades are a bit prone to internal politics and there is an element of redneck hero types doing it to be manly men and get a bit of a hero complex, but they’re mostly solid good people. Just stay out of the organisational politics and be sensible and it’s worth doing.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
There is an element of redneck hero types doing it to be manly men and get a bit of a hero complex
This is expected but bothers me and I'd probably knock a guy like that out. I'm all for the praise the fire guys get but I do know there is some absolute fucking cocksacks involved that don't help the cause.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Yeah, have been for over 10 years (12 even if I'm mathing right), been really lax though the last few years due to life getting in the way and sort of losing the passion a bit.

You get out what you put in. It can be super rewarding, and you get training and experience that you'll never come close to in regular Joe land. If you don't put in though, it can be a chore. And if you have too much other things going on in life, it can burn you out a bit. I've been on all sides of this over the last 10 years.

At the end of the day it's well worth the effort though. I'm definitely a better person for it, I've met some top people, and I've been there to help people at their absolute lowest. When I come across an emergency in day to day life I start thinking systematically. Even with my son having an asthma attack or wife passing out from pain I just get the job done because I know that's how you get the best outcome.

There will be an influx of people wanting to volunteer now, we had the same thing after black Saturday. Be patient if it takes a while to get through the local brigade screening and be patient with training as it might take longer to get through.

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Haakon

This is expected but bothers me and I'd probably knock a guy like that out. I'm all for the praise the fire guys get but I do know there is some absolute fucking cocksacks involved that don't help the cause.
We didn't get that in the paid divisions, but i saw a bit of in our CFA colleagues. Its been fairly discouraged these days though. Our local volunteer brigade back home in Vic nabbed a firebug when one the guys on the truck heading out to a fire suddenly knew a bit too much about exactly where the fire was!!

There was also a weird counter productive animosity between the volunteer CFA and us - they saw as useless public servants and not really committed because we were being paid, and many in the paid crews saw them as unprofessional redneck wannabes. I didn't understand it myself... I saw good and bad operators on both sides, but it fucked me off one day on the actual day of black Saturday when I was out of water and looking for some and 3 huge CFA tankers parked up with their thumbs up their arse refused to even talk to me about where to get 500l of water let along let me have some from their tanker. Fuckwits.

Hopefully all that nonsense has died down since I was doing it...

mark22

Likes Dirt
15 years with the CFA as a volunteer 7 years of that as an officer but that was 16 years ago. Took so much of my time when I was an officer however it was very rewarding with a good leadership development program. I have a great respect for the CFA and the level of equipment they use it is second to none.
During my time we were flown up to the Hunter region in NSW to put the wet stuff on the red stuff (some drove the tankers up)
Jesus h Christ the crap appliances they had was astounding some of the guys recognised some of their old tankers the CFA had pensioned off we even had the CFA mechanics and a Radio tech with the strike force. The NSW guys were amazed that we were not getting paid for this as most seemed to be getting some sort of allowance but called themselves volunteers.

Tis a bit different in Vic where most brigades consist of unpaid volunteers and the CFA and the MFB (Metropolitan Fire Brigade) not sharing geographic areas.
Unlike QLD which confounds me no end.
Not sure what state you're in, you get back what you put in the community.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Re why we need to spend 30% of GDP on submarines and planes.

Ever seen a multinational kick back a % of the action on a fleet of fire trucks to the inner circle of government? No. But sure can on submarines that couldn’t torpedo a leaky fishing trawler and fighter jets that will never fly.