Fire Warnings

stirk

Burner
I was up around the Mid North coast Taree area a month ago and noticed how many gum trees looked dead on the mountains. A creek that usually flowed was stagnant, the whole place extremely dry. And it's now extremely burnt.

stirk

Burner
Wife's Grandma's place is in Upper Lansdowne next to Mount Coxcombe which is the mountain with heaps of dead trees I mentioned earlier. The trees are really dead now. Everyone has left so that's the important thing. Hopefully the house survives.

Take care folks.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Things are fine (to date) on our side of the range. A mere handful of kilometers away over the hills though, it's putrid, homes lost, needless to say a lot of animals in harms way but no one reported to be hurt or dead. Some of the warnings have been considered way over the top but I don't agree, you're better off warned than not.
Basically, the big fire west of Coffs Harbour; known as the Liberation Trail fire is forest and bushland with small rural towns and random properties. No disrespect to those areas of course but if that bad boy gets over that range we'll have big losses of homes and lives. As it is right now though with the change in wind direction, we're on alert on this side of the range and sitting pretty, fingers crossed.

While I think of it, there's a lot of local chat about "the fuckers need to backburn this shit". There's so much that can be said about bushfires and many people looking from the outside in who say stuff but truth is, forests and bushland are flammable,really flammable. You can chuck some containment in to protect certain areas but you ain't never gonna enough to prevent a bushfire. Oh except for completely obliterating said forest with....................an out of control bushfire. Lets be real, you jump on a plane or hell, just drive a car from Sydney to Brisbane and you'll see that the suggestion of backburning to stop these fires is a pretty vague assumption and a monumental task that would probably turn out to be a catastrophic fuck up that creates a new hazard anyway. Sucks to say it but we've all got to manage this with cool heads and stop trying to find a way to blame someone or something. I'm actually sick of seeing the shitty memes people put on social media saying it's a politicians fault or a greenies fault or a farmer's dog's fault etc etc, it doesn't help anything and it doesn't prevent anything. Lets deal with what we have and enjoy the great things we have.

Last edited:

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
Things are fine (to date) on our side of the range. A mere handful of kilometers away over the hills though, it's putrid, homes lost, needless to say a lot of animals in harms way but no one reported to be hurt or dead. Some of the warnings have been considered way over the top but I don't agree, you're better off warned than not.
Basically, the big fire west of Coffs Harbour; known as the Liberation Trail fire is forest and bushland with small rural towns and random properties. No disrespect to those areas of course but if that bad boy gets over that range we'll have big losses of homes and lives. As it is right now though with the change in wind direction, we're on alert on this side of the range and sitting pretty, fingers crossed.

While I think of it, there's a lot of local chat about "the fuckers need to backburn this shit". There's so much that can be said about bushfires and many people looking from the outside in who say stuff but truth is, forests and bushland are flammable,really flammable. You can chuck some containment in to protect certain areas but you ain't never gonna enough to prevent a bushfire. Oh except for completely obliterating said forest with....................an out of control bushfire. Lets be real, you jump on a plane or hell, just drive a car from Sydney to Brisbane and you'll see that the suggestion of backburning to stop these fires is a pretty vague assumption and a monumental task that would probably turn out to be a catastrophic fuck up that creates a new hazard anyway. Sucks to say it but we've all got to manage this with cool heads and stop trying to find a way to blame someone or something. I'm actually sick of seeing the shitty memes people put on social media saying it's a politicians fault or a greenies fault or a farmer's dog's fault etc etc, it doesn't help anything and it doesn't prevent anything. Lets deal with what we have and enjoy the great things we have.
totally agree with everything here
many of us choose to build houses surrounded by large tracts of bush, some for commercial reasons, some for lifestyle reasons
then we all get sad when a bushfire come through and rains fire on our parade
The aussie bush is built around fire, thats how it regenerates itself, If you choose to build here you are taking a gamble..
I don't really agree that it has anything to do with climate change, as fires have always happened, its just a series of poorly time events all happening at once..and who can dispel the fact that this hasn't happened countless times before!
anyway, for those still at risk, stay safe and don't try to be a hero

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
many of us choose to build houses surrounded by large tracts of bush, some for commercial reasons, some for lifestyle reasons
then we all get sad when a bushfire come through and rains fire on our parade
The aussie bush is built around fire, thats how it regenerates itself, If you choose to build here you are taking a gamble..
I can see the attraction of living close by to large national park of forest. Sure would help MTB'ing plus having a place away from the hordes has many good points. I just don't have the courage to do it knowing how big it goes up when the dice rolls the wrong way and it happens.

You would seriously have to consider a concrete igloo with some living space underground.

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
You would seriously have to consider a concrete igloo with some living space underground.
Yes, this is the exact reason why so many houses burn to the ground..
if I was to build in a area like this, I would build the bastard out of concrete tilt panels and have a fire deluge system to put out any embers that did start up..higher initial cost but at least it wont burn to the ground
Why do insurance companies cover people that build houses with timber frames and trusses in high risk areas.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
I don't really agree that it has anything to do with climate change, as fires have always happened, its just a series of poorly time events all happening at once..and who can dispel the fact that this hasn't happened countless times before!
That's an extremely simplistic way of looking at this. A quick bit of research shows these fire events are very close to a full two months earlier than the previous major Eastern seaboard fires in NSW.

Just a series of poorly timed events all happening at once..... Really?

Haakon

Keeps on digging
I used to love the week out doing back burns - what’s not to love about being paid to bounce around the bush in a 4WD and set fire to shit? . Think i set fire to stuff close to @moorey place once.

But, it is I think analogous to airline security checks. It makes people feel better but doesn’t really do much. Maybe in a very very localised sense it might slow down one getting going if you’re lucky to have had one done recently in your back yard - but that’s about it. Big fires move in the tree crowns, not undergrowth - once it’s really big and fast it doesn’t really care if there had been a back burn there or not.

It’s Australia. Eucalyptus burns really really well. It’s getting hotter and drier. More people live in the bush. More arsonists even. Etc.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
That's an extremely simplistic way of looking at this. A quick bit of research shows these fire events are very close to a full two months earlier than the previous major Eastern seaboard fires in NSW.

Just a series of poorly timed events all happening at once..... Really?
It is kinda frightening that it's not even summer yet. The hottest and driest part of the year (late summer) is months away and we're already fighting campaign fires, not a good look!

But climate change related or not, saying it's the Greenies fault is just ridiculous.

Even if they were preventing works, there's not a chance in hell you can stop fires that are spotting Kilometers away from firefronts. There's also no chance you can clear enough to stop these things given the amount of bush and grass land we have. And clearing works are subject to weather conditions, available resources, land access etc. Aaaaand even when the stars align and they are done its only temporary. Kinglake was levelled 10 years ago, it's been ready to go again for at least 5. Most clearing is only really any substantial help for the coming season, maybe two.

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk