First ride on a dually - wow

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Had a look at the ad for the Spitfire, certainly looks the goods. I'm a while off from being ready to squeeze the trigger yet though. Have some reservations on buying a used bike from interstate but not totally against it. The more I look, the more options there are ! Trek Fuel EX 7 or 8 look ok too
Let the budget do what it wants to do (naturally it goes up). Then justify it from the health angle - your spine will thank you and ensure you get many more years of riding.

hellmansam

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I see that a hire place near Margaret River has Ibis Ripley LS, Norco Optic and Anthem 27.5/29" so I'll go and sample those on the Middle Earth trails nearby (apparently pretty awesome ) and have some fun while seeing how my creaky frame holds up to some bigger rides

Petero

Likes Dirt
I see that a hire place near Margaret River has Ibis Ripley LS, Norco Optic and Anthem 27.5/29" so I'll go and sample those on the Middle Earth trails nearby (apparently pretty awesome ) and have some fun while seeing how my creaky frame holds up to some bigger rides
Middle Earth is probably towards the XC spectrum of trails. Few tech obstacles and logs rides but nothing knarly. Still a fun ride though - but quite long.

Consider demo-ing across from hire place (hairy marron?) at compartment 10 or south carters, both have fair more in the way of berms, jumps etc. You'll also be done quicker and can almost ride back to the shop and swap bikes - especially with compartment 10.

hellmansam

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Consider demo-ing across from hire place (hairy marron?) at compartment 10 or south carters, both have fair more in the way of berms, jumps etc.
Cheers good to know, I'm looking forward to getting familiar with the various trails around there. I've done plenty of k's in cars chasing waves between the Capes but never did much riding on those trips.

hellmansam

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yesty I rode a Whyte S150 in Collie. A few km of roads to get to Rays Trail via Dead Cat. A bit overgunned in the travel dept. the Large frame size was also a bit much with the dropper post as low as it could go in the frame. I took one of the offspring along and he was on a Whyte T130 in Medium. The plan was to swap bikes at some point but we didn't in the end as the lad would have found the Large too much, with the medium being the biggest he could comfortably fit on.
I found the 150 a bit of a slug heading out from the shop but lost that feeling once we got amongst it on the flowy singletrack. Since I haven't yet learnt to send it much I'm not taking many risks on the hire/demo bikes but the times I got the wheels off the ground was fun and fairly in control. pedalling up the gentle hills was ok, pedal bob came on when I pushed a bit harder but I don't have enough legs yet to bother locking out the shock. Nice bike but I won't need that much travel for a fair while, if ever. I noticed a few minor ticky/clicky noises while riding the road section back to the shop, seemed to be coming from the pivots on small movements of the back end. On a bike that's basically new I was a bit surprised.

Reactions: Zaf

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Should’ve given the T130 a go mate, it’s a all round trail bike opposed to the 150. Sold my enduro for a similiar bike, much more enjoyable.

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it!
^This

I'm overbiked on 90% of the stuff I ride, (it helps that the bike is no slug going up or particularly heavy) but that 10% of the time when it's in it's element is great fun and I'm sure it's bailed me out of a few situations where I have been out of my depth. There has been times when I've stopped at the end of a trail and thought how on earth did I manage that without coming unstuck.

Reactions: Zaf

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Should’ve given the T130 a go mate, it’s a all round trail bike opposed to the 150. Sold my enduro for a similiar bike, much more enjoyable.
Yeah, the T130 looks great - that an the Transition scout (which is what you got right?) definitely on the shortlist for my next bike (in the distant future).

Although, it is nice have a 160mm bike as they are very forgiving when you plow through rock gardens off line.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Yesty I rode a Whyte S150 in Collie. A few km of roads to get to Rays Trail via Dead Cat. A bit overgunned in the travel dept.
I found the 150 a bit of a slug heading out from the shop but lost that feeling once we got amongst it on the flowy singletrack. .

I'd definitely recommend a demo on their Ripley LS - 130 front, 120 rear. Feels about that level of squish going up, but descending feels like you've got more travel under you. Really nice bikes.

Ultra Lord

Yup. I’ve ridden alot of trails around aus and never felt uncomfortable or out of depth on my mid travel bike. Good geo, solid tyres, wide bars/short stem and a dropper. It’s not as confortable and quick in the super rough dh trails, but that’s okay it’s not a dh bike, go abit slower and be more aware of line choice. I’ve sent some solid jumps on it and it was fine.
First proper riding was done in tassie on this bike, coming off a 160mm endurbro and the bigger bike would’ve been worse all round.

All bikes are a compromise. With the whyte t130 if your pushing it out of it’s depth regularly bump fork travel up 10mm and happy days!

The only reason I’m thinking of buyin a bigger bike now is recent back surgery, but that’s all academic atm, gotta test my bike again soon before I commit.

650FB145-10A5-4F78-8844-944E5B0EA52C.png
Any excuse to show off my tranny :D

hellmansam

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Should’ve given the T130 a go mate, it’s a all round trail bike opposed to the 150.
Yeah I might go back and take the 130 out on my own. But there are other places (Ripley, Norco, Giant) with bikes for hire, with half day rates. We got charged a full day (2 x $80) for a 1pm till 5pm hire. So I'm inclined to sample the competition. Shoulda gone early in the day but other stuff got in the way. Once we had driven there it was a case of fuggit we're here now and it's a nice day.

Ultra Lord

100% try the others too. Atleast now you can rule out some styles of bike, long travel slack bikes ain’t really your thing. Wasn’t a wasted trip at all

Ultra Lord

The new ones of them got a pretty good wrap, the fixed the issue with the rear triangle hitting the seat tube on bottom out too. :)
A mate has one and he's pretty happy with it, haven't tried it personally though. He wouldn't let me ride it, bloody wanker.

hellmansam

Likes Bikes and Dirt
wtf that's not very matey....
They had a last years model One Forty, had SLX gear and was at run out price. I didn't know about the bottom out issue, that would suck.

koiom

Likes Bikes
I picked up a Merida One Forty 800 back in January.
Ripping trail bike that I absolutely love.
I use all of the rear travel pretty much every ride but I don't ever remember feeling it bottom out.
Fantastic spec for the coin too.