Fluid MTB from Anaconda

Status
Not open for further replies.

floody

Wheel size expert
So who installed the hangers? It is with extreme rare exception that this ever happens due to any cause bar bad derailleur limit screw setup, occasionally extreme chain length issues.

Reubs

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ahh, the old "JRA"

Disclaimer: I work at a bike shop. I have nothing to do with this brand or the wholesale shop selling it.

Fact: Things do not break for no reason.

Mosel, I'm curious. Were you riding with your son when all these "just riding along" incidents have occured? I tend to think that if this has happened numerous times then there may also be some rider error? Once maybe I can put down to poor quality assembly of the bike to begin with (if it were loose etc.) but 4 times? Come on! I was twelve once and I know what i used to do on bikes and that was long before bike videos existed as inspiration. Does your son know how to shift gears properly (serious question, just because he can flick the lever doesnt mean he's doing it right). What happened in the lead up to each breakage, any small crashes? was the bike put in the back of a car? was the derailier knocked, bumped or had some other kind of tweeking?________________ Are you positive????? You may not notice a small amount of bending from something else which then allows the derailier to shift into the spokes.

The bike you mention would be straight out of a Taiwanese bicycle manufacturers catelog (at this price point). The fact is, its probably the same frame as many other brands, just painted as a "fluid". I can understand your frustration with the after sales service and that is completely justified. I've always maintained that when you buy a bike (or a car for that matter), you are buying the service and expertise of that shop. I struggle to see how the results would have been any different on a norco or a giant (for example) except for the fact that the mechanic at such a store would (should) be able to tell you exactly what has happened to the bike, why it happened, and how to prevent it from happening again.

Grip

Yeah, yeah... blah, blah.
Mosel, the above post by Reubs is absolutely spot on. My kid destroyed more bikes and bits of kit than you could possibly imagine... in fact Talon is responsible for our entire business!

But not once was it the bike's or gear's fault... it was always because something wasn't set up right or used right or used within it's purpose.

I feel for you with the service aspect though, but a decent bike mechanic would be able to set that up correctly for you. Just keep in mind that everything you've described can still easily happen to a correctly setup bike just by picking up a stick in the derailleur... something that can happen so quickly and easily that the rider wont even know what's happened.

spannerbunny

Likes Bikes
Mosel, I have to agree with Reubs and grip.Things don't just break by themselfs....
I myself am a bike mechanic and have worked on some fluid bikes.
they are really quite good form what i can tell. Agood mix of components.

I suggest try going riding with yor son next time hes out riding, and you might see that it's not the bikes fault...

P.S. What anaconda store did you get the bike from?

.:ROBBO:.

Likes Dirt
Where ever I can. I hate big companies taking advantage of the little people.
I will also be sending a 3rd email to them. Eventually they may reply. Until then, Im spreading the word.

I paid hard earnt cash and ended up with rubbish.
I know its not a Expensive bike compaired to what you can pay but we only use it on little more than walking tracks. I figured at around $800 it should be able to handle it. (The anaconda staff told me it would be able to handle almost anything as it was designed for jumping- YEAR RIGHT)
My son is only small (approx 35kg) so its not like its being pounded.
The bike before this was a huffy brand and that was also a piece of junk but it only cost around $150 bucks. For a $150, i am ok with that. The Fluid bike has not lasted antwhere near as long. JUNK
And there is no way your 12yo kid resents the fact you bought him a cheap POS bike compared to what all his mates are riding and just keeps destroying bikes till he gets what he wants ;)

spannerbunny

Likes Bikes
On the subject of the cranks...
I bet they are FSA's.
It wasn't just fluid that got lumped with shitty cranks from them....

noddy

Likes Dirt
most of the fluid range is well suited to what their intended for, but i agree the mayhem/tantrum are a bit of a letdown, basicly they started with an alright frame and wheelset then munted it, cranks have major issues (not so much the newer ones) its still running a tripple ring setup which for a DJ bike is useless, and they use el'cheapo rear derailers, which, because of the massive amount of chain needed for the tripple ring setup to work, are long cage, and we all know long cage derailers are more prone to everything breaking.

if i owned one i would replace the tripple ring for a dual ring with bash or a chain device, then replace the derailer with a 105 roadie derailer. half decent set of cranks... maybe SLX or the older octalinks would still handle most stuff. and then it'ld be a fairly decent bike. you can't realy expect much better from the fork at this price point, the only forks i've seen break are from cases/abuse and even high quality forks can do that.

still if your after a dedicated DJ bike, a BMX will get you much more reliability for your buck than ANY MTB.

cheezario

Likes Bikes
As a "team member" of a certain Snake store, I can safely say that after 4 years with this company and working on Fluid bikes...... Go buy a Giant STP....

markyh990

Likes Dirt
Didn't happen to buy the bike from the fountain gate store in Victoria did you? Was in there one day and some bloke was unloading on this poor kid working there over some bike that kept stuffing up. Was good for a laugh if nothing else.

leachy

Squid
No Complaints with my Fluid bike

Hi All

Just reading through the different posts and it seems that alot of people put down something just because it apears cheap, and because it is cheaper it has to be rubbish.

I purchased a Fluid Rhythm about 6 weeks ago when it was on sale and this bike is great. It has all Shimano running gear XT RD and LX FD, decent Shimano disc brakes and half decent components and wheels everywhere else. I actually asked Anaconda's head office for the frame specifications before purchasing as I was looking at Giant, Kona, Avanti, Diamon Back etc.. and there is very minimal difference between any of the frames. 0.5 - 1 Deg here and there or a handfull of millimeters somewhere else but really nothing. I am sure that there would not be a standard bike frame that would fit everyone perfectly.

So at the end of the day all you are comparing is the running gear and other components. The Fluid higher end bikes win hands down. The only downfall I could actually see was that the have 6000 series aluminium instead of 7000 series as the frame material, but I am sure there are for and againsts for that as well.

So when I see someone saying that these bikes are crap I am wondering how they are coming to that conclusion. I dont work for these guys or know anyone that does but it disappointing to see that alot of people are happy to be ripped off and throw mud at a company that is trying to make this sport more affordable for more people and I was prepared to pay up to $1400-$1600 for a bike.

Ridenparadise

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It is good to hear some sort of rider review amongst so many quality control comments. Leachy, might have been better to actually give a ride report, but if you are fairly new to it then fair enough not to comment. Having fun on a bike is far more important than having an expensive bike.

The weird thing about MTB is that the more dosh you put into your steed, the faster you break bits off it. More expensive can= just as many breakages, spills and probably as many or more hospital visits.

So is anyone going to do some serious ride reports on Cell, Malvern Star and Fluid bikes? Our MTB mags have basically avoided it (saw one review).........

aloo95

Likes Bikes
i have a fluid "hydration pack" ... even though its not a bike its still by the same brand. I have found this pack its acutually quite comfy and is very durable i havent found any problems with it so i would suggest the brand from what i've seen with the pack

Chamelion

Likes Dirt
I also work at Anaconda... I have to be honest, there is absolutely nothing wrong with fluid bikes. After all, the only real difference is in the frame and I've never seen one come back with frame related issues. The rest of the bike is the same random assortment of name brand gear you'll find on anything else.

The real trick is to purchase when they're on sale... At the moment 2009 models are at half price. You can pick up an 11.*kg hard tail XC bike with recons and an XT groupset for $1100. o_O

Matt.

tom199

Squid
I used to have a fluid bike and there was nothing wrong with it most of the bikes have decent specs for a good price. But they don't stand a chance against a giant or any of the other bigger brands

cheezario

Likes Bikes
I also work at Anaconda... I have to be honest, there is absolutely nothing wrong with fluid bikes. After all, the only real difference is in the frame and I've never seen one come back with frame related issues. The rest of the bike is the same random assortment of name brand gear you'll find on anything else.
I have worked with the company for 3 years and in that time ive seen 3 frame breakages, but all 3 were due to the bike not ridden for purpose, ie: riding a
dirt jump bike as a roadie with the seat up 30cm will likely crack most frames. As for the 1100 xt groupset bike, that bike only has an xt rear derailler, the rest of the components are pretty generic. Having tested these bikes extenisivley in races and group rides, I can say that these bikes aren't very comfortable in terms of geometry and handling.

Chamelion

Likes Dirt
Corrected on the XT groupset.. I had a quick look during last shift and the rest is a little lower. Still insane value though even if you were to put it all on a frame you liked more. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.