Formula One world championship

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Yep, I enjoyed that. I think the Rosberg Hamilton battle was looming so it's a shame the Merc shit itself. Still, I don't rate Rosberg so it's good to see him bomb out. ;)
The Vettel Alonso duel was great! To me, thats what the racing should be (minus the childish crying). The skill of those two in some of the passes was amazing, shame it ended when Vettel actually balled up and passed him on track instead of waiting for a penalty on Alonso.
It's a pity Loldonado didn't flip when Esteban hit him, that would have made for a few laughs.
How about Bottas and Ricciardo's finishes! Both guys started a little lower, especially Bottas and wow, they drove great!

akashra

Eats Squid
As much as I have no particular love for Vettel, Alonso's driving was just outright stupid. This whole attitude of "I have this line and if you don't brake I'm turning in to you" is the kind of crap that ruins this sport - especially when the stewards go handing out penalties afterwards because some idiot decided "but I have the 'racing line'". I was seriously hoping Vettel would just stick the car inside and Alonso end up in the barriers Kimi style with the BS he was pulling there.

Big AC

Likes Dirt
Haven’t seen the battle yet as I called it quits after Rosberg’s gearbox gave up (Tenplay tonight). However, I’m a fan of committed driving and the “I’m turning in no matter what” move as it is part of the psychology of racing. Senna was a pro at it as everyone knew that he had no fear of having a crash and would just turn in unless the other driver already had the corner 100% won. It’s kind of like a good dive bomb move in reverse, “I’m sending it and unless you give me room we will crash”.

Don’t get me wrong a stupid dive bomb / turn in move which is never going to work is idiotic and something that Maldanardo would do, a good one is like what Hamilton was doing at the start of the Austrian GP and is beautiful aggressive driving – the one on Massa was gold. It’s a fine line.

Game on for the championship and Germany will hopefully be a great fight between Hamilton and Rosberg. Hamilton sends a dive bomb up the inside of Rosberg into the hairpin on the last lap, both run wide onto the tarmac on the outside of the corner and go side by side in the next corner where Hamilton forces Rosberg onto the grass. The German fans crack it and throw beer cans at Hamilton when he enters the stadium section. Fisty cuffs break out in the post-race interview.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
As much as I have no particular love for Vettel, Alonso's driving was just outright stupid. This whole attitude of "I have this line and if you don't brake I'm turning in to you" is the kind of crap that ruins this sport - especially when the stewards go handing out penalties afterwards because some idiot decided "but I have the 'racing line'". I was seriously hoping Vettel would just stick the car inside and Alonso end up in the barriers Kimi style with the BS he was pulling there.
Errr, were you watching the TV upside down? That was some of the best pure racing we've seen in a bloody long time and it was 100% fair. The argument that Alonso was tuning in in Vettel probably had something to do with the fact that Alosno was in front. I totally enjoyed some of the Alonso Webber ding dongs in years gone by but that was right up there last night. If they didn't broadcast the radio messages then it would have been seen as something else. The talk that Alonso left no racing room was fucking bullshit too, he left the necessary gaps for the precious champion to have room but closed it when Vettel couldn't make it and he would not have made it if he jumped at the gaps as he would've driven them both off the track. That duel was easily the high;light of the race with two premium champions racing.

akashra

Eats Squid
Haven’t seen the battle yet as I called it quits after Rosberg’s gearbox gave up (Tenplay tonight). However, I’m a fan of committed driving and the “I’m turning in no matter what” move as it is part of the psychology of racing. Senna was a pro at it as everyone knew that he had no fear of having a crash and would just turn in unless the other driver already had the corner 100% won. It’s kind of like a good dive bomb move in reverse, “I’m sending it and unless you give me room we will crash”.
Yeah, but Senna in that regards was a psychopath. I don't understand why he's respected as history goes, the accidents he caused, and the fear he put in to drivers around him - he was basically a much faster version of Maldonado or Grosjean. Throughout his career there were plenty of drivers who voiced their opinion it was only a matter of time until he killed someone or got someone else killed, just noone expected it to be through a mechanical failure.

akashra

Eats Squid
The argument that Alonso was tuning in in Vettel probably had something to do with the fact that Alosno was in front
Ah, so a slower car is now allowed to just pull across in front of a car that is carrying more speed and effectively resort to blocking? Because that's what it is.

The talk that Alonso left no racing room was fucking bullshit too, he left the necessary gaps for the precious champion to have room but closed it when Vettel couldn't make it and he would not have made it if he jumped at the gaps as he would've driven them both off the track.
If Vettel had have made use of many of those gaps, the two would have been off the circuit with mangled cars.

Going on this logic, Perez has no blame whatsoever to take for the incident between him and Massa at Canada, because he was in front - there was plenty of gap there further on the left.

It's a stupid argument. Drivers need to share responsibility, you can't just close a line being taken by another driver and cause them to take evasive action.

Big AC

Likes Dirt
Yeah, but Senna in that regards was a psychopath. I don't understand why he's respected as history goes, the accidents he caused, and the fear he put in to drivers around him - he was basically a much faster version of Maldonado or Grosjean. Throughout his career there were plenty of drivers who voiced their opinion it was only a matter of time until he killed someone or got someone else killed, just noone expected it to be through a mechanical failure.
What is acceptable for a move has changed over the years. Back when Senna was racing it was ok to drive people off the track and be dangerous, you can’t judge him by today’s rules. He pushed the limit of what was acceptable as far as the rule makers were concerned, as all the great drivers do. As far as other drivers complaining and being scared of you, so long as it doesn’t attract a penalty (and you’re ok with the risks) then as a driver this is a good thing as you have won the psychological war – people don’t dare to a 50/50 move on you and know that they have to get out of your way if you send it.

The difference between the very good and the great is sometimes that the great are willing to do whatever it takes within the rules to win even if it is unpopular (and they really push the limit of the rules). Schumi, Vettel, Senna, etc (and no doubt a many others) were all willing to push the limits of the on track rules to win.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
As much as I have no particular love for Vettel, Alonso's driving was just outright stupid. This whole attitude of "I have this line and if you don't brake I'm turning in to you" is the kind of crap that ruins this sport -
Two of the most highly rated drivers in the world going wheel to wheel for the entire length of a straight after tussling for half a dozen laps beforehand, is 'ruining' the sport? Are you for real?

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Bottas definitely had the drive of the day although Ricciardo comes a close second. Speaking of which Kimi's crash, Hamilton's win and the Vettel/Alonso shenanigans seemed to have overshadowed the fact that not only has Danny outperformed his teammate again, he did it despite starting 6 places behind him.

akashra

Eats Squid
Two of the most highly rated drivers in the world going wheel to wheel for the entire length of a straight after tussling for half a dozen laps beforehand, is 'ruining' the sport? Are you for real?
It only went on because Vettel was sensible and didn't take what should have been otherwise usable passing opportunities knowing full well moves by Alonso would have caused a collision. What we're seeing is basically "yay, we got to see some 'racing' ... because one meathead decided to drive dangerously and block another driver for a number of laps". If he'd left a 2m wide gap (noting that they're 1.8m wide) then it might be fair game - but no, he didn't. When someone already has a faster line and you dart across over it so - and do so multiple times over a number of laps - that's not racing, that's just unsportsmanlike.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
I totally agree with you on this. It's a shame it ended how it did but without sounding like too much of an arse, his death did make him more recognised as one of the greatest steerers of all time. I had hoped he'd retire gracefully one day and run another driver or even a team. I often think about where things would have gone for him and I imagine him on the pit wall at some of the Melbourne races in the 1990's with a headset on or even driving a Williams instead of Villenueve or Hill or Coulthard.

If Vettel had have made use of many of those gaps, the two would have been off the circuit with mangled cars.

Going on this logic, Perez has no blame whatsoever to take for the incident between him and Massa at Canada, because he was in front - there was plenty of gap there further on the left.
That's where the judgement of Vettel came into it, he was quick enough and smart enough to race the guy in a fashion that meant they'd both finish.
As for Massa and Perez; I reckon that was one of those instances that both drivers did a minute thing at the same time where both ended up in the showers early and yeah, I think the Perez penalty was shit and driven by other factors.

akashra

Eats Squid
As for Massa and Perez; I reckon that was one of those instances that both drivers did a minute thing at the same time where both ended up in the showers early and yeah, I think the Perez penalty was shit and driven by other factors.
That's why I don't really get why people are saying "oh, that's just good racing" with Alonso/Vettel. On one case we have a sudden moment decision that just happened to result in an incident, yet on the other hand we have multiple instances of things happening where one driver was smart enough to recognise it and that one's okay - partly this claim coming because it produced some 'good racing'.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
The only thing that detracted from the Vettel Alonso stouch was the pit messages in my opinion. Stop whinging when you are doing the same thing. Enough racing room to comply with the rules and shit loads of wheel to wheel racing. Brilliant. Actually I thought the contact between Vettel and Hamilton on the first lap was going to end in tears but the cars are obviously very strong side to side.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
I've got no love for Ferrari or Alonso but his driving was amazing. Just because the car behind is faster, it doesn't mean that they should get an automatic free pass. Alonso battled for his spot probing both the limits of the rules and the limits of the track. There were no multiple direction changes involved, just some very canny line choices that made it as hard as possible for Vettel to pass.
That's racing. It's why we have the drivers all on the same track at the same time instead of doing time-trials.

oliosky

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That side by side footage of vettel and alonso down the straight was epic. Best battle of the year and really showed that vettel has the minerals and race craft to match it with arguably the best race driver on the grid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Just read the transcript for the post-race press conference. Lewis is clearly not impressed by Santander's trophy. He further bagged it out in the press conference saying it looks like they spent a maximum of about 10 quid on it.!

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Just read the transcript for the post-race press conference. Lewis is clearly not impressed by Santander's trophy. He further bagged it out in the press conference saying it looks like they spent a maximum of about 10 quid on it.!
Haha, thats funny. I laughed at that on the podium when it fell apart. Here's the post race question:

Q: (Mike Doodson – GPweek) Lewis, you’re obviously very happy with the gold trophy [present on the platform]– but you seem to have been a bit unhappy with the sponsor’s trophy. Did I hear you say it fell to bits on the podium? And how did you come to get this one between the podium and here?
LH: Well, yeah! This one’s a lot nicer. I mean, growing up watching Formula One, you see trophies like this. Real trophies, y’know? And the trophies that we have nowadays, whilst it’s a real privilege being on top of the podium, my one fell to pieces! The bottom fell off the one we just had. It’s plastic, it must cost ten pounds! It’s so bad. I might just get the plaque, which is probably the most expensive part of the trophy I think. Back in the day they really, really made the trophies. And this is the special thing about being on the podium and winning. These trophies mean – for me, I don’t know how it is for the other drivers – but this is what we have to show for our lifetime achievements. I hope we can get some better ones moving forwards.

driftking

Wheel size expert
The radio bs was ridiculous however I see the point in that if all so is on the radio vetted needs to be as well otherwise better might get a penalty and all so gets away with it. While they can't hear each others radio I can understand why they do these things.

I think the incident was just pure racing from all so, I can see some argument for the track limits in that it allows them to take the corners faster and in vettels case I did wonder if he stayed within the limits would be have made some of those moves or passes.

But ultimately it was brilliant racing and what f1 should be.
It was not blocking from alonso he did not move off his racing line. It's just the two lines intersected at the exit, vettel was not forced off line or off track so there was nothing wrong with it, he just stopped him from getting on the gas, that's what racing is.

If alonso pushed vettel off track or caused him to swerve then yes it's a bad move or if he moved from his racing line to purposely stop vettel but he didn't they both took two lines that intersected at the end of the corner. Both drivers where equal so here was no need for either to yield.

End of the day vettel took him anyway which I was stoked with most because it gave ricciardo more points over alonso in the championship.

I was pretty bummed for rosberg I do like him as a drive and unlike dozer I rate him pretty highly.
He had a awesome start though after the red flag pulled huge distance on the field. I was bummed we were going to miss out on the impending merc battle.

Kimi was crazy not just the car but all the debris that flew across the track like an explosion before the car even came back on track, I hope he hasn't done any more back damage it was a huge bump onto the track and That collision was what 46G or something. It was a shame to see him and Massa out I think they would have really given us some more excitement in the race.

Good to see bottas up there too. Williams has such a good car on the straights. They should be strong at Montreal, very keen to see them at monza.

+1 that trophies was shocking.
You would think with all the money they could produce some decent trophies.

Last edited:

Skydome

What's invisible and smells like hay?
Is there going to be any on board footage from kimmy after that crash?

Or did it destroy the on board camera?

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Is there going to be any on board footage from kimmy after that crash?

Or did it destroy the on board camera?
THere's undoubtably footage - the cars have multiple cameras these days and I think they stream live to race control so even if every camera was destroyed, the data would still have survived.

Whether Ferrari or the FIA choose to release it is really up to themselves. It wasn't a fatal accident so I don't see any reason why they would withhold it. It might just take a few days.