Formula One world championship

willsy01

Eats Squid
The sooner they stop with the retarded practice of using astroturf as run off on corner exits, the better. Use normal grass or gravel and the drivers will quickly learn that exceeding the limits will have a heavy impact on their race. Either that, or use a V8SC style three strikes system.

F1 as a whole is actually pissing me off at the moment. Bernie and his band of merry fuckwits seem to be going beyond the call of duty to destroy the sport. Megaphone exhausts......titanium skid blocks to create sparks......threats to drop Monza......Tilke designed tracks.....standing restarts after safety cars......Bernie refusing to adopt any form of social media because "it wouldn't immediately generate revenue".......fuck them and the horse they rode in on.

Charlie Whiting was probably the last bastion of sensibility in F1 but even he's become a puppet for Bernie.

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2014/07/04/teams-enthusiastic-standing-restarts/

“Their first concern was in regard to fairness. They felt that a race leader was more likely to lose his lead from a standing start than he is from a rolling start. Equally, however, if you are in second place you might actually like the idea of being able to take the lead, which you probably wouldn’t do with a rolling start."

What the hell is that dribble??? Fffffuuuuuuuuuu..............

Anyway....here's a picture of a dog making his tail look like his wang and looking really pleased about it.

Last edited:

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
It's all about safety. The current line of thinking is that a driver has more chance to regain control of the car on tarmac and proves less of a danger to himself, marshals and spectators if he runs off. This unfortunately has led to tracks looking a lot more like giant car parks and no punishment for running wide. There definitely needs to be some form of penalty introduced for the race itself but at least they've addressed the issue during qualifying.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Shit yeah! A Willsy GIF! :llama:

An entire track made of astro turf would be sweet, no doubt that'll be proposed soon enough.

Skydome

What's invisible and smells like hay?
Yeah I'm not really liking the new rules for the F1.

It was tones better with the previous rules, also loud cars, loved the screamers, they were good.

driftking

Wheel size expert
I do wonder why they have solid barriers I would have figure by now they would have implemented a force absorbing system that improves the drivers chance of survival but equally help reduce cars shooting back on track.

Anyway interesting I know we have discussed the x1 here before seen here
red-bull-x1-1.jpg
And while it was created under, what they say are real physics and engineering, which therefore the car should in theory be able to be created to spec.

The issue aside from safety was that fact that the car puts about 8.75G into the driver which is considered deadly....or is it?
Watch this
[video=dailymotion;xv6ln0]http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xv6ln0_richard-hammonds-miracles-of-nature-g-suit_tech[/video]

For those who didn't watch the video essentially it is a suit that reduces the flow of blood away from the head, the test pilot withstood over 9G for quite a while, he also solved a rubix cube showing that the pilot was in good form.
While I am not suggesting the X1 will ever be built due to the obvious reason that tracks would need to have run off 3times as larger as now. But it does make you question the future of f1, racing as a whole and of course combat air craft.

Will we one day have these huge tracks with huge run off and driver hitting stupid high G forces. It doesn't seem far from possible, we know its possible now it only takes someone stupidly rich to build such a track and cars. Can't deny it would be blood brilliant seeing cars going that fast and that hard around corners.

Last edited:

akashra

Eats Squid
I'd love to see an X1 series as a support series to Formula 1 - maybe just have 4 or 6 races in the series, and make it purely a time-trial format - no racing, so less risk of crashes etc. Something for the spectators to watch at F1 events as a little something extra on-track. Give them basically two flying laps, with the best lap being counted, or maybe take the total time of two or three laps. Run it under the same pretext as X1 - No restrictions, the only caveat being that the driver must be able to survive one hell of an impact, maybe the same with wheel tethers.

Skydome

What's invisible and smells like hay?
I'd love to see an X1 series as a support series to Formula 1 - maybe just have 4 or 6 races in the series, and make it purely a time-trial format - no racing, so less risk of crashes etc. Something for the spectators to watch at F1 events as a little something extra on-track. Give them basically two flying laps, with the best lap being counted, or maybe take the total time of two or three laps. Run it under the same pretext as X1 - No restrictions, the only caveat being that the driver must be able to survive one hell of an impact, maybe the same with wheel tethers.
Sounds better than the main F1 race imo.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
I had a chuckle to myslef yesterday when I saw the support races for the Singapore Grand Prix. I went last year and was pretty impressed that GP2 was part of the schedule and Porsche cup as well as F1. This year? It's the Asian Porsche cup. That's it. There are stages all around the venue and a few bands are playing but seriously? That's pretty lame. It just goes to show that we do it pretty bloody good with the supports we run in Australia.
I heard once that China has no supports, just F1.

driftking

Wheel size expert
Not liking those rims.
On the argument front I understand that having a rim size that is comparable to modern cars improves the trickle down to production but on the other front the tires are such a huge part of what yields to road changes and traction with the suspension. It really brings into question what this means for racing not only car control but also tire life, with less rubber would we inevitably be seeing a harder compound again.

it seems in the last few years goal has been to make cars slow.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
This has been the goal since 1994.

High speeds mean high risk. Reducing speeds in any way only aids rather than hinders safety.
More like 1951.....

Just about every rule change since Formula One began (actually probably the 1920s, but the World Championship wasn't inaugurated until 1951) has been with the aim of slowing the cars down after engineers push boundaries beyond comfortable levels. Engine sizes, super/turbochargers, tyre dimensions, wing dimensions, ground effects, fuel capacities, refuelling or not, et cetera......

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Not liking those rims.
On the argument front I understand that having a rim size that is comparable to modern cars improves the trickle down to production but on the other front the tires are such a huge part of what yields to road changes and traction with the suspension. It really brings into question what this means for racing not only car control but also tire life, with less rubber would we inevitably be seeing a harder compound again.
It's not necessarily less rubber. The amount of rubber in contact with the track is still the same as with the 13" wheels.

I'm a bit ambivalent about the whole new wheels thing. I prefer the traditional look but then there could be a few advantages in changing up a few sizes.

It'll certainly mean a whole new way of thinking in regards to tire pressures but then with less air in the tires, the tire temperatures might be easier to regulate and it'll certainly give them a few more options in regards to the brakes. The larger wheel diameter could lead to larger discs for better temperature regulation or give them more room to play with in regards to energy recovery systems.

Are we still going on about the X-1? You all know it was most likely dreamt up by Adrian Newey and sketched on the back of a fag packet over the course of a spare lunch break, don't you?

If it were at all possible and if Red Bull had actually invested any time whatsoever in designing it, they would have built it. They aren't short of the cash and they've never been shy of publicity stunts.

Think about it realistically. How much do you think Adrian Newey would charge to act as a consultant? It's not like constantly having to bugger around with one years car whilst simultaneously planning ahead for the next season isn't a full time job already.

How many days-if not weeks- would it take to actually brain-storm the basics of the car. All the calculations for the aerodynamics, planning where all the control systems will go, how they will work, the weights, the balance etc. etc. Do you think Polyphony are going to pay for all that? They won't even part with the cash to have a decent damage engine or sound effects in their games and they've had almost 20 years to work on those issues.

It's a marketing gimmick, nothing more.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I think you are right about the X1. As for the 18s I think they look good, at least until Mal-de-tete takes it out for a spin! If adopted it will mean more suspension research since the sidewalls are reduced so that won't be a bad thing.

Big AC

Likes Dirt
Are we still going on about the X-1? You all know it was most likely dreamt up by Adrian Newey and sketched on the back of a fag packet over the course of a spare lunch break, don't you?

If it were at all possible and if Red Bull had actually invested any time whatsoever in designing it, they would have built it. They aren't short of the cash and they've never been shy of publicity stunts.

Think about it realistically. How much do you think Adrian Newey would charge to act as a consultant? It's not like constantly having to bugger around with one years car whilst simultaneously planning ahead for the next season isn't a full time job already.

How many days-if not weeks- would it take to actually brain-storm the basics of the car. All the calculations for the aerodynamics, planning where all the control systems will go, how they will work, the weights, the balance etc. etc. Do you think Polyphony are going to pay for all that? They won't even part with the cash to have a decent damage engine or sound effects in their games and they've had almost 20 years to work on those issues.

It's a marketing gimmick, nothing more.
Whilst Red Bull and Polyphony Digital won’t be making a working X1 anytime soon some kiddies from the Netherlands have big ambitions and their design may look familiar. All they need now is a lot of cash and someone to drive it, this should happen soon………...

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/07/07/inmotion-im01-nurburgring-le-mans-garage-56-report/