Formula One world championship

Pastavore

Eats Squid
Bahaha, this is awesome! Just wait until Maldonado spins his lotus, and a Williams runs into the front of him! The American broadcast will have to censor the impact.

So what is it so far? Williams are team tiny chub, lotus repping the camel toe, and merc want to be team saggy clit. What team is going to model their nose on a puckered anus?
chuckles x 1000

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
So what is it so far? Williams are team tiny chub, lotus repping the camel toe, and merc want to be team saggy clit. What team is going to model their nose on a puckered anus?
Force India's sole teaser shot is in side profile. It might already be them!

Not liking Mclaren's complete lack of colour scheme either. I know they're still waiting on a title sponsor and will presumably be adding in flashes of red around their corporate masters logo but it still looks way too much like a Merc.

Last edited:

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
It's been a busy evening.

First off, Mercedes presumably realising that all the best horror films only show the merest glimpse of maybe part of the monster , have given us a teaser where their new car is all but a flash of grey. More importantly though, it's the first audio capture of one of the new V6's in action.

[video=youtube;FkMh_PCfWTo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkMh_PCfWTo[/video]

Also, Eric Bouiller is leaving Lotus and is expected to be announced as Team Principal for Mclaren.

wombat

Lives in a hole
Force India's sole teaser shot is in side profile. It might already be them!

Not liking Mclaren's complete lack of colour scheme either. I know they're still waiting on a title sponsor and will presumably be adding in flashes of red around their corporate masters logo but it still looks way too much like a Merc.
Shit, I just glanced at that car and assumed it was the merc! Didn't read the model name.

Rider15

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That lotus is very different to what I was expecting! Seem quite a bit different to what the other teams are doing also. Have to wonder what the reasoning behind it is. Very keen to see what Redbull come up with

driftking

Wheel size expert
Shit, I just glanced at that car and assumed it was the merc! Didn't read the model name.
I just spent the last 5min thinking what the hell everyone was talking about than it clicked. mclaren haha

Actually on this note what is the different between the Mercedes petronas and the Mercedes mclaren team? I know they are two independent teams but what role does Mercedes play in both teams? Iv never really thought about it from what I gather Mercedes will be the engine supplier for both and that's about it?

The sound of that video actually is quite good, still maintains that high pitch scream with a bit more deep rumble to it, quite impressed actually.

Last edited:

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Mercedes make cars. and engines

Mercedes supply engines to Mclaren (who incidentally also produce their own cars) and due to the intricacies of contracts/prior relationships/past projects, Mercedes get to have their name registered as part of the team name which presumably makes for good advertising. This doesn't happen with Force India to whom Mercedes also supply engines. I do not know why.

Not content with getting their name and logo all over Mclaren's F1 cars, Mercedes also decided to buy out Ross Brawn's old team Brawn Racing (who themselves only a year prior were owned and named after Honda) in 2009 and rebadge the entire team as Mercedes or Mercedes Petronas (after their chief sponsor) as putting their engine supplier after their name would leave them with Mercedes-Mercedes which sounds fucking stupid.

Ferrari also have their own team (called Ferrari) yet also supply engines to Sauber who don't call themselves Sauber Ferrari. I have no idea why Ferrari haven't gone down the free advertising route by insisting on naming rights but then italians have always been a little bit tricky like that.

Anyway by having their own F1 team, Mercedes can get to hear Germany's national anthem 'Deutschland Uber Alles'* played after the driver's national anthem whenever they win a race unlike when Mclaren win and they are forced to listen to 'God Save The Queen' instead. Either way, at least it's meant that Red Bull haven't won so we are spared the suicidal dirge that is the Austrian national anthem**.

*not that we don't get to hear it enough already

** not that the team are based in bloody Austria either. Pretty much every team bar Ferrari, Sauber and Torro Rosso are ultimately British. Oh and Red Bull is originally a bloody Thai drink too!

Last edited:

driftking

Wheel size expert
Sn short:
Mclaren design mclaren cars with merc engines.
Merc design merc cars with merc engines.

Curious does this also follow over for production cars?
Does Mercedes produce engines for mclaren I'm pretty sure iv seen Merced mclaren as a model or car so I can assume mclaren do some styling for Mercedes as well as doing thier own individual bodies?

Maybe when sauber do better ferrari will slap a label on it as claim haha.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Sn short:
Mclaren design mclaren cars with merc engines.
Merc design merc cars with merc engines.
No.

Mclaren design Mclaren F1 cars, Mercedes provide the engines

The Artists Formerly Known as Tyrrell/BAR/Honda/Brawn design F1 cars for Mercedes in England. The team lineup has changed over the years - Brawn's left and Niki Lauda now seems to be hanging around a lot but it's largely the same mob. Mercedes also provide the engines for the team

Curious does this also follow over for production cars?
Does Mercedes produce engines for mclaren I'm pretty sure iv seen Merced mclaren as a model or car so I can assume mclaren do some styling for Mercedes as well as doing thier own individual bodies?
Nope. Mercedes do their thing and Mclaren do their own thing. The last collaboration between the two as far as road cars were concerned was the Mercedes Benz SLR Mclaren which was built back in the 00's in England by Mclaren for Mercedes.

It was quite the beast:

MARKL

Eats Squid
Who cares what it looks like? Fast is beautiful.
No, F1aesthetics are completely contrived, designers make it fast the FIA try to make it look like a 1989 McLaren - Low nose and no stupid looking vanes, boards, winglets etc.

Would you want your company name on it? Would you want to wear the T shirt of the most laughed at team with the franger looking nose? I sure as shit wouldn't. I do hope they are fast though, I'd love to see them in the top few teams again.
This is why I'm shitting myself, they have a good habit of pushing the ugly option and I doubt this year will be any different. Honestly, this shit with the nose cones on these cars are making them look almost as moronic as the current IRL design, that's is a butt ugly race car.
image.jpg

Wow! Button pushed, expectations exceeded and I assume new t shirt for Melbourne Dozer? Though it looks like the Ferrari and Williams are made for each other ;)

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I reckon Ferrari will win a few races this year. Drivers will look in their mirrors, see that and have to pit for a spew. Except Grosjean and Hamilton who only have mirrors because they are in the rules.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
I feel........violated, embarrassed, I'm sad. F1 looks and so far sounds, like a fucking terrible. These cars are hideous and make the designers look like amateurs.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
I feel........violated, embarrassed, I'm sad. F1 looks and so far sounds, like a fucking terrible. These cars are hideous and make the designers look like amateurs.
I've not been able to get a TV signal on any channel since the USGP. After the big reveals this week I'm not in any hurry to climb up on the roof and sort the aerial out.