Germaine Greer can go and get f*cked.

brisneyland

Likes Dirt
*rant*

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,20362163-5008780,00.html

She's a literary fucking hack with nothing to contribute to the world, no way of getting anyone to pay attention to her bullshit without deliberately causing controversy like this. She's an opportunistic bitch, preying on the misfortunes of others for personal gain.

That is all.

Normal programming will be resumed in 5, 4, 3

Last edited by a moderator:

scblack

Leucocholic
Germaine Greer may have had some relevance back in the 60s.

The shit she dribbles out lately cancels out that relevance she may have once had.

She has truly become a sad case.

W2ttsy

Likes Dirt
there is always one that has to fuck it up for the rest of us.

unlike all her other "articles" i dont think she will escape the heat from this piece of rubbish. it was misinformed, unreadable rubbish. i dont even know how it made it off the cutting room floor.

W2ttsy

The Paperboy

Likes Dirt
"As glowing tributes and praise for Steve Irwin filled newspapers and television screens around the world, fellow Australian Germaine Greer launched a distasteful tirade on the much-loved Crocodile Hunter yesterday."

After all that they still have the nerve to call her Australian..

Edit:
Sorry
Upon reading the whole article not the sectional version at the top of this thread. It's not that bad they have just taken her article out of context as per normal.

Last edited:

Weasel

Likes Dirt
To go and do that... Shes human trash...

Throw on the heap with the rest of the filth i say

brisneyland

Likes Dirt
If your going to complain about what someone has written you need to actually read what they've written, not some News Ltd hack's out-of-context take on it.
Fair point, and thanks for linking the article, I now think even less of her.

Evidently it's Stainton's job to keep Irwin pumped larger than life, shouting "Crikey!" and punching the air.
Inflammatory bullshit.

If the crocodile had been less depressed it might have made the decision for him.
More inflammatory bullshit. Crocodiles have an incredibly slow metabolism and are generally not fast movers.

The crocodile would rather have been anywhere else and the chicken had had a grim life too, but that's entertainment at Australia Zoo.
The womans a freakin retard!

What Irwin never seemed to understand was that animals need space. The one lesson any conservationist must labour to drive home is that habitat loss is the principal cause of species loss.
Misinformed bitch! Steve did more for wildlife and habitat conservation thank quite possibly anyone else on earth, ever.

Every creature he brandished at the camera was in distress.
What the fuck would she know about animal psychology?

In 2004, Irwin was accused of illegally encroaching on the space of penguins, seals and humpback whales in Antarctica, where he was filming a documentary called Ice Breaker. An investigation by the Australian Environmental Department resulted in no action being taken, which is not surprising seeing that John Howard, the prime minister, made sure that Irwin was one of the guests invited to a "gala barbecue" for George Bush a few months before. Howard is now Irwin's chief mourner, which is only fair, seeing that Irwin announced that Howard is the greatest leader the world has ever seen.
No action was taken because the allegations were a baseless media beat-up (the doco was filmed on my mum's boat, and she was very much central to the investigation). And as for her amazin leap of logic about Howard suppressing the investigation, well that's just retarded.

I reiterate: she can go and get fucked.

Last edited:

Daver

Kung Fu Panda
'That sort of self-delusion is what it takes to be a real Aussie larrikin'

Germaine Greer
Tuesday September 5, 2006
The Guardian

The world mourns. World-famous wildlife warrior Steve Irwin has died a hero, doing the thing he loved, filming a sequence for a new TV series. He was supposed to have been making a new documentary to have been called Ocean's Deadliest, but, when filming was held up by bad weather, he decided to "go off and shoot a few segments" for his eight-year-old daughter's upcoming TV series, "just stuff on the reef and little animals". His manager John Stainton "just said fine, anything that would keep him moving and keep his adrenaline going". Evidently it's Stainton's job to keep Irwin pumped larger than life, shouting "Crikey!" and punching the air.

Irwin was the real Crocodile Dundee, a great Australian, an ambassador for wildlife, a global phenomenon, a superhuman generator of merchandise, books, interactive video-games and action figures. The only creatures he couldn't dominate were parrots. A parrot once did its best to rip his nose off his face. Parrots are a lot smarter than crocodiles.
What seems to have happened on Batt Reef is that Irwin and a cameraman went off in a little dinghy to see what they could find. What they found were stingrays. You can just imagine Irwin yelling: "Just look at these beauties! Crikey! With those barbs a stingray can kill a horse!" (Yes, Steve, but a stingray doesn't want to kill a horse. It eats crustaceans, for God's sake.) All Australian children know about stingrays. We are now being told that only three people have ever been killed by Australian stingrays. One of them must have been the chap who bought it 60 years ago in Brighton Baths where my school used to go on swimming days. Port Philip Bay was famous for stingrays, which are fine as long as you can see them, but they do what most Dasyatidae do, which is bury themselves in the sand or mud with only their eyes sticking out. What you don't want to do with a stingray is stand on it. The lashing response of the tail is automatic; the barb is coated with a bacterial slime as deadly as rotten oyster toxin.

As a Melbourne boy, Irwin should have had a healthy respect for stingrays, which are actually commoner, and bigger, in southern waters than they are near Port Douglas, where he was killed. The film-makers maintain that the ray that took Irwin out was a "bull ray", or Dasyatis brevicaudata, but this is not usually found as far north as Port Douglas. Marine biologist Dr Meredith Peach has been quoted as saying, "It's really quite unusual for divers to be stung unless they are grappling with the animal and, knowing Steve Irwin, perhaps that may have been the case." Not much sympathy there then.

The only time Irwin ever seemed less than entirely lovable to his fans (as distinct from zoologists) was when he went into the Australia Zoo crocodile enclosure with his month-old baby son in one hand and a dead chicken in the other. For a second you didn't know which one he meant to feed to the crocodile. If the crocodile had been less depressed it might have made the decision for him. As the catatonic beast obediently downed its tiny snack, Irwin walked his baby on the grass, not something that paediatricians recommend for rubbery baby legs even when there isn't a stir-crazy carnivore a few feet away. The adoring world was momentarily appalled. They called it child abuse. The whole spectacle was revolting. The crocodile would rather have been anywhere else and the chicken had had a grim life too, but that's entertainment at Australia Zoo.

Irwin's response to the sudden outburst of criticism was bizarre. He believed that he had the crocodile under control. But he could have fallen over, suggested an interviewer. He admitted that was possible, but only if a meteor had hit the earth and caused an earthquake of 6.6 on the Richter scale. That sort of self-delusion is what it takes to be a "real Aussie larrikin".

What Irwin never seemed to understand was that animals need space. The one lesson any conservationist must labour to drive home is that habitat loss is the principal cause of species loss. There was no habitat, no matter how fragile or finely balanced, that Irwin hesitated to barge into, trumpeting his wonder and amazement to the skies. There was not an animal he was not prepared to manhandle. Every creature he brandished at the camera was in distress. Every snake badgered by Irwin was at a huge disadvantage, with only a single possible reaction to its terrifying situation, which was to strike. Easy enough to avoid, if you know what's coming. Even my cat knew that much. Those of us who live with snakes, as I do with no fewer than 12 front-fanged venomous snake species in my bit of Queensland rainforest, know that they will get out of our way if we leave them a choice. Some snakes are described as aggressive, but, if you're a snake, unprovoked aggression doesn't make sense. Snakes on a plane only want to get off. But Irwin was an entertainer, a 21st-century version of a lion-tamer, with crocodiles instead of lions.

In 2004, Irwin was accused of illegally encroaching on the space of penguins, seals and humpback whales in Antarctica, where he was filming a documentary called Ice Breaker. An investigation by the Australian Environmental Department resulted in no action being taken, which is not surprising seeing that John Howard, the prime minister, made sure that Irwin was one of the guests invited to a "gala barbecue" for George Bush a few months before. Howard is now Irwin's chief mourner, which is only fair, seeing that Irwin announced that Howard is the greatest leader the world has ever seen.

The animal world has finally taken its revenge on Irwin, but probably not before a whole generation of kids in shorts seven sizes too small has learned to shout in the ears of animals with hearing 10 times more acute than theirs, determined to become millionaire animal-loving zoo-owners in their turn.
I agree fully- thats the first thing she'd said which i agree with. I don't see why "Australian" should refer to people chasing animals wearing weird clothes and shouting out a constant catch-phrase. Bogan, yes, Australian, no.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
No she can't. She's a hardline lesbian feminist, who's going to touch her?
I think you'll find she's married in a heterosexual relationship. I don't agree with everything she says, but I give her more credit than many others. Plus, you have to respect the courage of her convictions.

tonas

Likes Dirt
It's simple really...

When the war you've thrust yourself into for the past 40 odd years has fallen to the wayside and is now considered socially irrelevant, what else can you do but create opposition through antagonistic articles in a despite attempt to regain some semblance of relevance in a world which has past you by.

Greer's 15mins has come and gone...

Andy.

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thankfully the praise for his life and the work that he did completely drowns out the negative bull$h*t that the selected few are stating.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
It's simple really...

When the war you've thrust yourself into for the past 40 odd years has fallen to the wayside and is now considered socially irrelevant, what else can you do but create opposition through antagonistic articles in a despite attempt to regain some semblance of relevance in a world which has past you by.

Greer's 15mins has come and gone...

Andy.
Sorry dude, if you think that the feminist issue is done and dusted, you may be part of the remaining problem.

Glass cieling, dommestic abuse, maternity leave....., I'm not what you'd call a feminist, but I do know that it is still very relevant today.

floody

Wheel size expert
Its an unfortunate article in many ways, but also has a number of reasonably lucid points. Perhaps its the wrong timing. It would most likely have been exalted by many during Irwin's lifetime.

brisneyland

Likes Dirt
Sorry dude, if you think that the feminist issue is done and dusted, you may be part of the remaining problem.

Glass cieling, dommestic abuse, maternity leave....., I'm not what you'd call a feminist, but I do know that it is still very relevant today.
While I agree that we still have a fair way to go in terms of achieving true equality, I think extremists like Greer *are* irrelevant in today's society. A much more cooperative sort of change is needed, not the antagonistic bullshit she puts out.

Extremists of any kind piss me off really.

tonas

Likes Dirt

I agree. We have advanced very little on the issue of sexual equality.

My choice of words may have misconstrued the message I was trying to get across. By irrelevant I mean, unfavourable or out of step in today's politically conservative and self-centrist atmosphere. Greer's views on sexual equality are grounded in ‘old world’ ideology.

She's lost her key player status and therefore makes inflammatory remarks purely for the sake of reaction. Steve Irwin was never her wheelbarrow to push.

Andy.

gravelclimber

Likes Dirt
Just read this:

Mr Howard, who knew him personally, told MPs in Canberra that people were shocked by his death “in bizarre, tragic and in some respects quintessentially Australian circumstances”.
Quintessentially Australian circumstances. Seriously?!? Just as silly as anything old Germaine had to say IMO.

tonas

Likes Dirt
Just read this:

Quintessentially Australian circumstances. Seriously?!? Just as silly as anything old Germaine had to say IMO.
Thats just sick. Unconstructive and disrespectful. Following that line of logic the manner of Irwin's death was more appropriate than had he been eaten by a lion!

Greer's out of touch and loathing it.

Andy.

gravelclimber

Likes Dirt
http://blogs.smh.com.au/thedailytruth/archives/2006/09/crocodile_tears.html

We're a fickle mob, yes we are. Back in 2004, we were lining up to crucify Steve Irwin for apparently endangering the life of his infant son, Bob, during that televised incident that made world news. Today, the same man is "our Steve", "Irwin the superstar", a "phenomenon", an "Aussie hero", an "Australian legend", "our man", "our lovable larrikin" - not a hint of the scornful regard in which we held him just two years ago, replaced with a no less cynical sauce that borders on complete insanity, today's papers once again so choked with teary tributes and agonised eulogies I can't even bring myself to search for the rest of the news. This is the way of things in the 21st century - death, far more newsworthy than life, sucks the frankness and honesty clean out of the media.

Now, for heaven's sake, don't commit the error of thinking I'm kicking Irwin here. I liked Steve Irwin - or, at least, I liked his public persona. I didn't know him personally, so I can't speak of him intimately (as many others appear to be comfortable doing). But everyone I know who knew him, or who met him in passing, seemed determined to impress upon me the news that he was as good a bloke as he seemed. While not moved to tears by his death (I didn't know him, you see), I can at least say I'm sorry he's gone, and that I feel for his wife and children. Who wouldn't?

But what winds me up about celebrity death these days is the manner in which the frauds in the media fair blow their loads in the "outpouring of grief" that has became standard issue since Diana's sick and prolonged exit. Footage runs in slow motion as pianos tinkle, while every columnist with the imagination of a duck jumps up for their own gooey turn at the pulpit in a free-to-air funeral service that never ends.

During these times, anyone who dares speak his or her mind, giving an honest opinion unbothered by the forced public ceremony of misery, is howled down as a creep and a heretic by the very people who are being the fakes.

Germaine Greer is someone who has never ceased to speak her mind - if she feels strongly about something, you can depend upon her to voice it, and she doesn't care how many public hankies are filled with snot as a result. Today, Greer hasn't disappointed her own reputation, adding a touch of vinegar to the volumes of syrup that we've endured since Monday. Those journalists carrying Irwin's casket have dropped their charge in pursuit of the gatecrasher, the "outpouring of grief" suddenly morphing into an explosion of sanctimonious outrage.

Loudest of all is the Melbourne Herald Sun, who report today that "a storm of fury has erupted over Germaine Greer's criticism of Steve Irwin". In fact, the "storm" was induced by The Herald Sun's own journalists, jumping on the phone to extract whatever inclement weather they could muster from interested (or otherwise) parties. It was a piece whose opinion was decided with or without the phone calls, editorialising thusly:

"The expat Aussie, known more these days for her regular bashing of her homeland...hit below the belt as she accused Irwin of sending the wrong message to kids."

This is interesting, for, two years ago, The Herald Sun led the witchhunt for Irwin, Jill Singer hooking in good and proper in an editorial headlined: "Dad's a Drongo". In contrast to Greer's "scathing attack", which at least had the temper to go the issue and not the man, Singer's piece referred to Irwin as "simple-minded", "Neanderthal", "a Tarzanesque, chest-beating reductionist", a "dangerous dropkick" and a "dill", before going on to declare that "this foolish pair" of parents were setting a lousy example indeed, their actions comparable to some of the world's more loathed personages:

"Steve has a lot in common with his heroes. John Howard toughens up the babies of asylum seekers by locking them behind razor wire from the time they're born, while George Bush assures the world that Iraqi and Afghani babies must be bombed for their own good."

The piece went on to compare Irwin to Michael Jackson.

I'm not saying Singer's piece was any more or less worthy than Greer's - in fact, I can appreciate both opinions, particularly today. If Irwin's death teaches us anything at all, it's that no situation involving wild animals is as "under control" as Steve would have liked us to believe back in 2004. If he could speak today, I'm convinced he'd agree that it was better the 'unexpected' happened when it did rather than when it simply might have.

What's happened between then and now? Nothing much, really - Irwin never changed his approach to life, and, as far as I know, never issued anything close to an apology for the way he lived.

What's changed is that, today, he's dead, and death sells by the bushell.

But you can't sell a dead "drongo", so it's "hero", "legend" and "larrikin" all the way, and anyone who doesn't toe that line is a creep.

How pathetic.