Germaine Greer can go and get f*cked.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
While I agree that we still have a fair way to go in terms of achieving true equality, I think extremists like Greer *are* irrelevant in today's society. A much more cooperative sort of change is needed, not the antagonistic bullshit she puts out.

Extremists of any kind piss me off really.
I agree. We have advanced very little on the issue of sexual equality.

My choice of words may have misconstrued the message I was trying to get across. By irrelevant I mean, unfavourable or out of step in today's politically conservative and self-centrist atmosphere. Greer's views on sexual equality are grounded in ‘old world’ ideology.

She's lost her key player status and therefore makes inflammatory remarks purely for the sake of reaction. Steve Irwin was never her wheelbarrow to push.

Andy.
I agree with you both.

tonas

Likes Dirt
We can always rely on the Herald Sun for engauging those that are comfortable rolling in gutter with in a game of one-up-manship.

Jill Singer! Don't get me started. :)

Andy.

toodles

Wheel size expert
Germaine Greer? I don't even know why anybody listens to her. It's not like she's hot or anything.

mtbmamma

Likes Dirt
As a female I find her inflammatory and more trouble than she is now worth. And with quotes like the following:

The animal world has finally taken its revenge on Irwin, but probably not before a whole generation of kids in shorts seven sizes too small has learned to shout in the ears of animals with hearing 10 times more acute than theirs, determined to become millionaire animal-loving zoo-owners in their turn.

I wish the animal world would take its revenge upon hera and relieve us of her negative presence. And No I am not a conservative stay at home, I work in the building industry and run my own business and with or without people like her I still would have done it as I was raised in that sort of household with open attitudes. I have had to fight many battles but more often than not I am respected on site because I know what I am doing and am good at what I do, which in the end is the real test.:)

Last edited:

Techno Destructo

Riding In Peace
Germaine Greer has her place, but if that report is accurate, she's fallen severely out of touch with society... if not by her inability to read public opinion, then her complete loss of the ideals of courtesy, sympathy, politeness and tact.

Really sad, actually, because I admired her for some of her stuff in the past...:(

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
And No I am not a conservative stay at home, I work in the building industry and run my own business and with or without people like her I still would have done it as I was raised in that sort of household with open attitudes.
Whilst I agree that she is far too militant for this day and age, not all women were lucky to be raised in a liberal household and I'm sure they are thankful for her efforts and those who preceeded her.

custard

Banned
can we find out where she lives, and throw eggs at her house...

even the iraquis would feel sad that there favourite aussie got killed.

Last edited:

Breaka

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My existing impressions of her were not good at all. And after reading those articles, she is in my eyes the lowest form of filth.

To say those things about Steve Irwin in his passing is fucking pathetic.

Burn burn burn burn bitch.

S.

ex offender
I think you'll find she's married in a heterosexual relationship. I don't agree with everything she says, but I give her more credit than many others. Plus, you have to respect the courage of her convictions.
Yes heterosexual, I did imply her relationship was with a woman.

Respect the "courage of her convictions" even though they're usually not within 10 degrees of anything resembling logic? Yet you don't seem to take that stance when it comes to Johnny Howard or GWB...

I support the objectification of hardcore feminists. It's that whole ramming-it-down-your-throat thing all over again.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Yes heterosexual, I did imply her relationship was with a woman.

Respect the "courage of her convictions" even though they're usually not within 10 degrees of anything resembling logic? Yet you don't seem to take that stance when it comes to Johnny Howard or GWB...

I support the objectification of hardcore feminists. It's that whole ramming-it-down-your-throat thing all over again.
On the contrary, I respect the courage of anyone's convictions, just not the convictions themselves. feel free to point out where I've said that I don't ;)

S.

ex offender
On the contrary, I respect the courage of anyone's convictions, just not the convictions themselves. feel free to point out where I've said that I don't ;)
Nice diversion from the point then, because that means SFA if the convictions are fucked.

mtbmamma

Likes Dirt
Whilst I agree that she is far too militant for this day and age, not all women were lucky to be raised in a liberal household and I'm sure they are thankful for her efforts and those who preceeded her.
Yes, you are right on that point, but there are better ways these days than vilification of people whose views you don't share. There are more subtle ways to get around problems rather than front on. That way you try to keep people onside whilst trying to convert them to your opinion.

Steve Irwin was one of a fading breed, the Aussie Larikin, God rest his soul. :D

Last edited:

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
germaine greer, (yes, this low-life doesn't deserve to have her name written with capitals), is a man-hater, with no comprehension of the words 'respect', 'morals' and general ethics. The amount of utter rubbish that spews forth from that woman's mouth, and the way she has completely disrespected the deceased Steve Irwin, proves that she is nothing more than an immature, snivelling woman, who has made an cowardly attack on a great Australian man, who loved nature and everything around him.
greer should be ashamed of her thoughts and her life, for practically celebrating a true Aussie's death.
This is the lowest attack and opinion I have ever heard. It even begs me to use the cliché "un-Australian".
Stupid bitch.

tonas

Likes Dirt
germaine greer, (yes, this low-life doesn't deserve to have her name written with capitals), is a man-hater, with no comprehension of the words 'respect', 'morals' and general ethics.
In the contrary, it's just that her take on morality disqualifies all men. ;)

The amount of utter rubbish that spews forth from that woman's mouth, and the way she has completely disrespected the deceased Steve Irwin, proves that she is nothing more than an immature, snivelling woman, who has made an cowardly attack on a great Australian man, who loved nature and everything around him.
Not even close. On a social relativity scale of 1-10 Greer opinions linger below decimal point status. She couldn't even disrespect the Pope! :D

greer should be ashamed of her thoughts and her life, for practically celebrating a true Aussie's death.
This is the lowest attack and opinion I have ever heard. It even begs me to use the cliché "un-Australian".
Stupid bitch.
The democratic privilege of free speech presumes that commonsense is a generously distributed commodity, unfortunately this appears to be far from the reality. Greer's comments are reflective of the uncomfortable place she has chosen to occupy, disconnected from mainstream Australia. A bitch yes, but stupid, no.

NCR600

Likes Dirt
Some people's reactions to Mr Irwin's death are getting really quite scary.

He was an entrepaneur, zoo owner and entertainer, that much we know. Only those who personally knew him will know deeper than that.

People are carrying on like he was an Aussie version of the prophet Mohammed, beyond reproach from mortals.

Crazy old Germ has a right to her opinion, and a well known love of stirring people up to garner publicity. She is looking for just this sort of a reaction.

2 years ago, you all would have been crucifying Steve Irwin for the baby stunt, for being an international embarassment bent on destroying any hope of Australia being viewed as a civilized, cultured nation, and being a shameless self publicist.

The founder of the Australian Democrats, Don Chipp, and author and teacher Colin Thiele have both died in the past week. Both were great Australians. Both deserve better than this circus around Steve Irwin's demise.

Dumbellina

Likes Dirt
Some people's reactions to Mr Irwin's death are getting really quite scary.

He was an entrepaneur, zoo owner and entertainer, that much we know. Only those who personally knew him will know deeper than that.

People are carrying on like he was an Aussie version of the prophet Mohammed, beyond reproach from mortals.

Crazy old Germ has a right to her opinion, and a well known love of stirring people up to garner publicity. She is looking for just this sort of a reaction.

2 years ago, you all would have been crucifying Steve Irwin for the baby stunt, for being an international embarassment bent on destroying any hope of Australia being viewed as a civilized, cultured nation, and being a shameless self publicist.

The founder of the Australian Democrats, Don Chipp, and author and teacher Colin Thiele have both died in the past week. Both were great Australians. Both deserve better than this circus around Steve Irwin's demise.

Ditto ditto ditto.

Germaine's article is supposed to be humourous. If like the Murdoch press you have no sense of humour, then be shocked and appalled. The fact it caught your attention says she's achieved her purpose.

All I can say is that South Park's Cartman's version of Irwin, who loved sticking his thumb up crocodile bums is how I will remember him - as pathetic and poetic that image is.