Germaine Greer can go and get f*cked.

kerbdrop

Likes Dirt
We do exist you know!! Just got to look past the t & a!!:p ;)
hahaha :D

but i have to side with you here.. pop media is chockers with crass depictions of flighty young femmes... one of my pet hates, especially when i'm flipping through some UK mtb mag and some skank with absolutely no biking sense is draping her goodies over an innocent dh bike

Though the tables are turning.. the objectification of men has started to filter through, look at some of the gaultier mens adverts and ck undies..

But one thing that i think warrants discussion is that young girls are now being fed this idea that through sexual liberation and subsequent promiscuity, they can assert their womanhood (e.g. turn on video hits any given sat morning).. makes me kinda sick.. but then thank goodness for JTV

Techno Destructo

Riding In Peace
I think you missed the ironic humour of his post there mate. I thought it was hilarious. Don't know if it was intentional though...
C'mon S... surely you didn't think that was clever humour or anything? The emoticon added at the end doesn't seem to imply a joke...

The thing that bothers me is that these are the true feelings of a lot of the male population...

I'm not a huge fan of Germaine Greer, but she's done some good things (and some pretty stupid things). And all I want is balance, equality and unity. I wonder why other people hate that idea so much... (not talking about you S....)

Like people who hate The Green Party. They're just looking out for the welfare of the planet and disadvantaged people. It doesn't make any sense to me...:(

|Matt|

Banned
then shot again... and then say sorry i thought you were a deer...
Dick Cheney might be able to help.

But, I too saw the report on the late news last night on channel 9 (after the 9/11 doco :cool: ) and what a BITCH! He's got a wife and two little kids you arrogant whore! Like you would say things like 'it was the animal kingdom getting their revenge' or some shit. Stevo put countless hours and a LOT of his own money into the Zoo and helping animals with their problems, and relocation.

When she gets the respect, and man hours behind the Zoo and the welfare of Australian animals maybe she can cook up something up. Until then, go rot in a hole, bitch.

One thing that makes me SOOOO angry is all the titty girls at car races, dancing girls at the footy etc. Where are the hunky men for the women?
Johnny, umm..is there something you aren't telling us?

Last edited:

scblack

Leucocholic
One thing that makes me SOOOO angry is all the titty girls at car races, dancing girls at the footy etc. Where are the hunky men for the women? I see women at car races and footy all the time? Why do we ignore them? IS it like they're not welcome or something?

I have no problem with objectification if it is evenly dispersed and all are welcome to enjoy in it. We all objectify to a certain degree when we appreciate the appearance of some one we don't know whether they be on screen or walking down the street. There's nothing wrong with it when it's not exclusive.

That's my rant.
The girls at the footy are generally perving at the PLAYERS, so they get their little bit of titillation.:)

What they look at at the car races I dunno.

But no-one is stopping them doing the same thing if they wish.;)

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
I think you'll find she's married in a heterosexual relationship. I don't agree with everything she says, but I give her more credit than many others. Plus, you have to respect the courage of her convictions.
Respect the "courage of her convictions" even though they're usually not within 10 degrees of anything resembling logic? Yet you don't seem to take that stance when it comes to Johnny Howard or GWB...
On the contrary, I respect the courage of anyone's convictions, just not the convictions themselves. feel free to point out where I've said that I don't ;)
Nice diversion from the point then, because that means SFA if the convictions are fucked.
What?! Hang on, I was replying to something you said about me that was completely off the mark! For the record, I respect courage of convictions, that doesn't mean you have to respect the view though. Courage and logic are two completely differing issues. I don't care what your point of view is if I'm measuring your intestinal fortitude, it has no relevance. Doesn't mean I disregard the point of view though, I can separate the two as I'm sure you can too.
Then why did you bring up the "courage of convictions" thing when it was clearly the ARGUMENTS (well and the person or lack thereof) I was flaming, not how deeply she believed in em?
You're on drugs if you cannot see the continuity in that discussion.

FR Drew

Not a custom title.
I have to admit, when I heard her about a year ago talking about sex with boys and how "up for it and eager they were" I was floored.

If a 50 year old bloke was interviewed anywhere about teenage girls and said how great they were to sleep with and how "eager for it" they were, Germaine would be first in the queue with the torches and pitchforks. Not to mention that the "eagerness" that she finds attractive now would be the overly forward male desire for sex that she used to rail against.

The very worst case of Feminist having of cake and eating it too.

I'm with Johnny, there are still a lot of glass ceilings, pay inequalities, we need more paid childcare and maternity leave (and paternity leave but don't say that too loudly around the feminists) there are still huge issues with domestic and sexual violence.

Frankly, although there are things about her that grate, Prue Goward is doing a hell of a lot more to further the causes of women than Ms Greer, who seems to talk and be reactionary just for the sake of it.

I'm alot more interested to hear what David Attenborough or David Suzuki or John Wamsley or even Harry Butler have to say on the passing of Steve Irwin than I am about what bloody Germaine thought about him. I mean seriously, it's like a cake competition judge being paid to type what they thought of last season's F1 racing. Who gives a rats?

Last edited:

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Scale of posts in this thread

|worst|>...S. .........................................Mine...............FR Drew...<|best|

:p

Last edited:

Drizz

Likes Dirt
I'm with Johnny, there are still a lot of glass ceilings, pay inequalities, we need more paid childcare and maternity leave (and paternity leave but don't say that too loudly around the feminists) there are still huge issues with domestic and sexual violence.
I prefer “paternity” leave over “maternity” leave. There are now men whos willing to sacrifice their career so their partners can further their careers. Not many but they are there.

[QUOTE ]……I mean seriously, it's like a cake competition judge being paid to type what they thought of last season's F1 racing. Who gives a rats?[/QUOTE]

I know another place that fits that description, its call talkback radio.

All I can say is this: When its finally time to meet your maker Germaine, how many people will shed a tear for your passing?

tonas

Likes Dirt
All I can say is this: When its finally time to meet your maker Germaine, how many people will shed a tear for your passing?
Probably more than most, but that's not it the point. Greer has earnt her stripes and has the scars to show for it. Many women and men can be thankful for the road she has choosen to venture down.

The timing of her recent comments on a much loved deceased person have ensured she has recieved front page media attention and this is where I have my issue with her. It appears she deliberately set out detract from the grieving/celebrating process of an individual purely for the sake of attaining some media attention herself. Not cool Greer, not cool at all.

On another note, no state funeral...? Good decision me thinks. :)

Andy.

Drizz

Likes Dirt
Probably more than most, but that's not it the point. Greer has earnt her stripes and has the scars to show for it. Many women and men can be thankful for the road she has choosen to venture down.
I agree with you that she done some great work for the feminist cause and no one can take that part away from her, but I guess my point is (just like yours) why cheapen your achievement by stomping on someone that has no qualms with you nor what you fighting for.

Steve might be controversial, but hes far from sexist as far as I can remember.

Last edited:

mtbmamma

Likes Dirt
I'm alot more interested to hear what David Attenborough or David Suzuki or John Wamsley or even Harry Butler have to say on the passing of Steve Irwin than I am about what bloody Germaine thought about him. I mean seriously, it's like a cake competition judge being paid to type what they thought of last season's F1 racing. Who gives a rats?
I agree with both FRDrew and Johnny, there are many things that still need to be addressed with regards womem. There is the working environment when they have children, yes, the glass ceiling, pay inequalities, domestic violence and general violence against women. I know that these are serious and world wide issues for women but Germaine Greer left here 40+ years ago and is seriously out of touch with 21st Century Australia.
Yes we still have our problems but to interview a feminist "English" woman about a man who has made his mark here in Australia in only the last 10 or so years is the most ridiculous piece of journalism I have ever seen. Yes, she wrote about him in her column but Australia should have ignored her as she does Australia, except when she speaks out to make cheap shots and to keep her public profile up. Its women like this who give the rest of us hardworking women a very very bad name. :D

mtbmamma

Likes Dirt
Totally with you on that one.

Thats where your wrong. He is a male, so of course he's sexist. ;)

Andy.
Amazingly there are many men out there today who are not sexist in any way, though again, there are still some who look at you see a woman and discount anything that comes out of your mouth because of that.

Men, like women, are changing and adapting to a totally different way of life especially professional and family life.

I think someone like Steve Irwin showed that very well. Both he and Terri worked together and balanced work and family life together and from the outside they seemed to have stuck the right balance.

There's lots of you out there doing it every day, you're just too shy to speak out especially in front of your mates but you are there, as this thread shows. :)

TonyG

Likes Dirt
I think I would like to be a fly on the wall at a Germaine Geer and Rev Fred Nile debate on moral and ethical standards.
That would be like listening to the Clan and Al Qaeda decide US foreign policy.

Dumbellina

Likes Dirt
Perhaps it says something about the maleness of this forum. But a female work colleague and I were talking about Germaine Greer and women it seem have a different slant on the story.

She said that amongst her friends the Greer was only stating the bleedingly obvious whem most women hear the a stingray kill Steve Irwin, their first reaction was "what the f$#k did Steve Irwin do to the Stingray first?".

So all you feminist bashers out there, unless you have an XX chromosomal makeup, I suggest you might speak to a woman or two. (Miranda Divine, not sure she counts.)

TonyG

Likes Dirt
I have, and I have not heard any of that type of negativity. It's not all this blowing wind up his arse stuff, but still reasonably positive.

tonas

Likes Dirt
Perhaps it says something about the maleness of this forum. But a female work colleague and I were talking about Germaine Greer and women it seem have a different slant on the story.

She said that amongst her friends the Greer was only stating the bleedingly obvious whem most women hear the a stingray kill Steve Irwin, their first reaction was "what the f$#k did Steve Irwin do to the Stingray first?".

So all you feminist bashers out there, unless you have an XX chromosomal makeup, I suggest you might speak to a woman or two. (Miranda Divine, not sure she counts.)
Once again... as much as the content of her speech angered me it's the timing of such comments that I take umbrage with. Greer's views on Irwin may just be closer to the thoughts of many men and women then we would like to admit but degradation of the recently deceased is no way to revive a flagging career.

Andy.

Drizz

Likes Dirt
I did, they think its terrible that he die and feel sorry for him and his family. I think its unfortunate that feminist got drawn into this debate because one of their prominient member choose to wrote an article in an inappropriate time. If its another colourful character like Anthony Mundine mouthing off, I am sure we will be dishing out on boxers and how "mindless" [1] their sport is.

[1] For the record, I don't think boxing is mindless.

EDIT: ^ Yeah, and also what Tonas said.^

Last edited: