Get the girls with our special weight-loss dieting techniques

my02

Likes Dirt
85kg military press tonight. Experimented with shoulder / scapulae positioning to create torque. Worked well.

Managed 87.5 to just below halfway (sticking point), hovered but wasn't going anywhere without squirming.

Last edited:

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Has a decent lifter or PL coach ever checked your form?
Had it checked by an 18 y.o. competing bodybuilder (mate of a mate) a few days ago. He said it was pretty good except for not squatting enough at the start/end of my lift. I think that session I sacrificed form for additional weight, so I ended up pretty bloody sore after that.
Today I reduced the weight a bit to focus on technique and whilst it seems to be nowhere near as bad as last time, I'm unsure if there should be any sort of feeling at all, hence the post.

jonozrx

Likes Dirt
Does it feel like DOMS, or is it a different kind of pain? It's hard to describe an acceptable level of pain, as everyone perceives it differently.

@nDr3w

Likes Dirt
Muscular lower back pain, deadlift associated. A good thing, or poor technique?
Depends. Is it the type of soreness you feel in your legs after a big set of squats, or in your chest after some solid benching?

Sometimes that pain can just be a solid reminder that you did some big, fuck-off lifting. Other times, not so much...

On anti-biotics. Should be interesting to see how this plays out.

moto_guy

Banned
Muscular lower back pain, deadlift associated. A good thing, or poor technique?
I was about to ask the same thing. Did some 5x5 DL's the other day starting at 60kg and making my way up to 100kg. At then end and it felt like a worked muscular burn in my lower back straight after and lasted until the afternoon.

Is that normal for someone who hasn't really used those muscles much before or is it technique based?

my02

Likes Dirt
You really can't expect to get a solid answer from a bunch of non-medical mountain bikers I'm afraid.

My "burns" last only towards the end of a set, then dissipate very quickly. However a "hot" feeling that I get in my shoulder whenever my pressing movements are careless last for much longer and I know through experience that this is NOT a good thing. So with that in mind, giving a smattering of info on line isn't going to provide you with any gospel.

See your doctor or a physio but please don't just listen to "the big bloke at the gym". Someone who understands biomechanics is going to provide you with an answer that supports longevity or your body, rather then getting a PR.

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Is that normal for someone who hasn't really used those muscles much before or is it technique based?
Having thought about it for a while, and spoken to a few more people, I've decided the relevant answer for me is technique based. I went from 60 to 100kg's over the course of 3 sessions, so I'm going to drop it back 10 or so kg's and try and hold the best form I can. If I can do this for a week or so, I should have a pretty definitive answer, and I've got nothing to lose by playing it safe I guess...

In other news, BN WPC arrived today - loving it! Still waiting for Oatmass to rock up though...

Steve-0

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I went from 60 to 100kg's over the course of 3 sessions,
I went from 100kg to 170kg in the space of 2 months. Technique is everything, don't think your technique went out because the weight went up, it could've gotten better!

I'll post a step by step dead lift how to tonight on how I was taught by powerlifters. Dead lift only has a couple rules and is easy as once learnt.

@nDr3w

Likes Dirt
I'll post a step by step dead lift how to tonight on how I was taught by powerlifters. Dead lift only has a couple rules and is easy as once learnt.
Keen to read this.
Also, are you going to share with us your hints for benching? I remember you saying the guys at PTC helped you get it right, including how to use your legs properly?

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Also, are you going to share with us your hints for benching? I remember you saying the guys at PTC helped you get it right, including how to use your legs properly?
Doesn't the use of legs vary depending on how you want to train? Ie. Bodybuilder is different to strength?

iridedh

Likes Dirt
mate stop eating sugar

i only eat about 30-50 grams of carbs a day
have lost 12 kilos, sleep better and have plenty of energy
try for yourself
exercising makes you hungry, and if what you eating is not good, there is really no point (for weight loss only, cause cardio e etc different story)
but you can spend 3 hours at the gym, come home to a fruit juice (full of sugar), pasta tomato sauce (sugar) and dessert.....
you will never make it
protein shakes, meats salads vegetables (some, mostly the green ones)
only eat 30 grams of carbs for 2 weeks, and i guarantee you loose at least 5 kilos!!! anyone overweight
be carefull with hidden carbs, in sauces and etc

Steve-0

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Doesn't the use of legs vary depending on how you want to train? Ie. Bodybuilder is different to strength?
Bodybuilding is all about size with strength being a side effect, Powerlifting is all about strength and size is kept to a bare minimum. When bodybuilders lift there focusing on isolating and stressing a perticlar muscle. When powerlifters lift, there trying to use as many muscles as possible to lift as much as possible. That's all pretty basic but when you bench (or squat/deadlift) you really want to lift as much weight as possible. The reps will vary depending on your goals but IMO the form should be the same for all these big lifts.

Keen to read this.
I must throw in a disclaimer that what I'm going to describe is second hand info from PTC and that if anyone here wants to really learn how to lift they need to visit them in person! Or a gym that's just as good but for PL'ing PTC is very much in the top league of Australia.

Deadlift:

Deadlifts are pretty simple once learnt. You walk up to bar and pick it up making sure you keep a straight back.

-You should place your hands as narrow as possible without going closer then shoulder width. It needs to be comfortable but the wider your hands, the higher you have to lift the bar and the harder it will be. Shoulder width or just wider is good.
-Feet should be placed anywhere where they don't push out on your arms and your shins need to be roughly 5" back from the bar. Your knees must be inline with your toes! My stance is pretty narrow and my feet angle out abit. As long as your knees don't push your arms out and your knees are inline with your toes then you're good to go.
-With your feet in place and your hands on the bar you need to squat down enough so that your scapular are directly over the bar. Your knees should go forward so that the bar touches your shins. Your ass might be way in the air or down low, it doesn't matter. Grab the bar, and squat down only as much as you need to so that your scapular are straight up from the bar. Adjust you feet distance from the bar as you go so that the bar is close to your shins.
-You must keep a straight back, Look forward, chest up and tailbone flat.
-Take up the slack so you're under tension and then push the floor away from you like a leg press. The second that bar gets to your knees you need squeeze those glutes and thrust your hips forward to complete the lift.
-You should always finish the lift with shoulders back, you can do this during the lift or sort of shrug it at the end, it needs to be down in competition for it to be "locked out"
-Thats it!

-Before you bend down to grab the bar, take in a deep breath and push you stomach out. Sort of take the air into your belly and not your chest. This helps keep yoru core tight. It also applies to every other lfit.
-Do not breathe during your lift. If you're repping, do as many reps as possible before breathing. Stop, take a breath and keep going, don't "breath in on negative, breath out on positive" or whatever, it's pointless.
-Walk up the to bar and lift it ASAP! This should take 1.5s or less. Focus on what you need to do before you walk up to the bar. Then walk upto the bar and lift some goddamn heavy weight!
-Arms must be straight the entire time, imagine they are ropes and your hands are hooks.

Bench:

The goal of the bench is to get as tight as possible (uncomfortable tight) and press the bar off yoru chest.

-Squeeze your shoulder blades down and back as much as possible. Get someone to touch you right in the middle there and then focus on that point and squeeze as much as possible. They need to be down and in, not "shrugged" and in. I push my shoulders down and then squeeze back really tight with my arms out to my sides.
-When you've done that and you're on the bench, bring your ass towards your head (along the bench) so that there's an arch in your back. This just tightens everything up even more and focuses the pressure onto the top of your back inbetween your shoulder blades.
-Place your feet on the ground with solid force. If someone bumps your leg, it shouldn't move at all. At this stage your back is really tight and your as stable as possible.
-Grab the bar and set your hand to the right width for you. Use the outside ring markings on the bar to set grip width. This is always 83cm. Knurlng in the middle can change, the rings don't/shouldn't.
-Get the bar into position without moving your shoulder blades. You need to remain tight! You will probably need a spotter to help lift the bar out on big weights. If your shoulders slide out doing this and you're not tight anymore, then you need to start again.
-Once the bar is in position over your lower chest you need to lower it whilst keeping your elbows in as much as possible, Mine are at a 45 degree angle. If your elbows flare out so that your upper arms are in line with each other then you could do some serious damage to your shoulders! It's also neglecting your lats.
-Bring the bar down to the point just below your pecs.
-you MUST touch your chest. Bounce it off your chest, don't just tap it lightly. Obviously don't drop it on your chest or your going to hurt yourself. Just enough so it touches your chest and not just your shirt or whatever.
-PUSH that bar straight up! Make sure it goes directly up and not towards your shoudlers. Straight = shorter distance and it's safer.
-Push the bar back into the rack hard and fast, make some noise, and then drop it into the pins/hooks/rack.
-done.

-Before you lift the bar off the rack (for a 1RM) or before you start repping, take a deep breath and perform the WHOLE reppetition before breathing out.
-The tighter you are, the better base you have to push off. Tightness is everything.
-Big bench comes from epic batman lats. Use them when you bench.
-You must keep forearms directly under the bar so the full force is transferred through the base of your palm and not your wrist.

I'll probably edit this later to include squats too, or to fix anything. Also I left out the leg drive thing for now as I know how to do it but I can't physically do it lol. It's tricky as but it helps.

Edit: iridedh, That's a solid way to lose weight. Low carbs zero sugars will help you shred kilos fast! However if you stay on low carbs constantly then you'll never grow any muscle and you still need plenty of fats so you don't go insane. Keto is probably the most successful diet around and it cycles carbs. I'm not sure excactly how it works but you basically have very little/no carbs for 4-5days and then you eat heaps of carbs for 2 days and then repeat. This cycling provides the benefit of low carb fat loss and high carb days for msucle building.

I think that's how it works... haven't really looked into it.

Attachments

Last edited:

Chalkie

Likes Dirt
Might want to edit that picture - or did i miss something. Apart from that all solid advice!

One thing that took me a while to learn but improved my bench massively was to imagine yourself tearing the bar in half when lower to activate your triceps and keep them tight. I've also been told by a coach that you should hvae a little bit of arc in your back - ie. your butt and shoulder blades should be the two contact points on the bench and you should be able to slide your hand under your lower back pretty easily.

Steve-0

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Might want to edit that picture - or did i miss something. Apart from that all solid advice!

One thing that took me a while to learn but improved my bench massively was to imagine yourself tearing the bar in half when lower to activate your triceps and keep them tight. I've also been told by a coach that you should hvae a little bit of arc in your back - ie. your butt and shoulder blades should be the two contact points on the bench and you should be able to slide your hand under your lower back pretty easily.
Which picture? the bench one? It's pretty horrible but it shoes the path the bar needs to travel, he's not "setup" at all. Edited the post, Tried to find a proper picture but it's really hard to see.

Yeh you really need to feel all the weight going through the top of your back where it touches the bench as you describe. HUGE power increase from doing this. Staying tight helps keep this point solid and everything stable. Arch is only small, liek you say, a hand gap... it's just to further tighten that point.

I wasn't taught the tearing the bar thing at PTC but I've heard it before and tried it. Would probably help in a BB'ing scenario where your really trying to hit your triceps (narrower grip, tearing the bar etc).

Last edited:

my02

Likes Dirt
I haven't had the fortune of personal advice when it comes to technique. However I've spent a lot of time doing research and combining this with my own experience and experimenting.

The bench techniques I've picked up are very close to the ones you describe Steve 0 but with a couple of differences.

I learned that, yes, the shortest path is the best. Therefore lowering to just below the pecs is NOT the shortest distance. Once you have your shoulders set (per your description), you lower straight down. I used to do the bottom of the pecs method but now find straight down to be better.

A description I learned to help with the lowering was this. Imagine holding a wooden pole in front of you with your normal bench press hand position. Now simply try to snap it in two by bending it. This should come from the lats rather than just the hands. Maintain this tension all the way down.

Touch

On the push back up, imagine trying to stretch or spread the bar. Think about making that bar an extra 30cm longer by the time you get to the top.

Pause

Try to snap the bar as you lower for the next rep........

Wrist position is also important once you start using heavier weights. The wrist should be straight, not bent back. Heavier weights will start to stress the carpals in the bent position.

Sorry if this seems to be repeating what others have just said however I've heard the "spread the bar" thing before but didn't get it. I actually learned the tech above from a Crossfit vid:

http://journal.crossfit.com/2011/12/benchsetup.tpl

You'll have to pay to watch this but this means a $25 / year online membership! For the amount you get, you can access a hell of a lot.
NB, I don't actually do CF and I don't really think it complements MTB that well but for those who know a bit about training, I think its fantastic.

Now, did your course cover spreading the floor with DL and SQ........??

Last edited: