Get the girls with our special weight-loss dieting techniques

Steve-0

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I haven't had the fortune of personal advice when it comes to technique. However I've spent a lot of time doing research and combining this with my own experience and experimenting.

The bench techniques I've picked up are very close to the ones you describe Steve 0 but with a couple of differences.

I learned that, yes, the shortest path is the best. Therefore lowering to just below the pecs is NOT the shortest distance. Once you have your shoulders set (per your description), you lower straight down. I used to do the bottom of the pecs method but now find straight down to be better.

A description I learned to help with the lowering was this. Imagine holding a wooden pole in front of you with your normal bench press hand position. Now simply try to snap it in two by bending it. This should come from the lats rather than just the hands. Maintain this tension all the way down.

Touch

On the push back up, imagine trying to stretch or spread the bar. Think about making that bar an extra 30cm longer by the time you get to the top.

Pause

Try to snap the bar as you lower for the next rep........

Wrist position is also important once you start using heavier weights. The wrist should be straight, not bent back. Heavier weights will start to stress the carpals in the bent position.

Sorry if this seems to be repeating what others have just said however I've heard the "spread the bar" thing before but didn't get it. I actually learned the tech above from a Crossfit vid:

http://journal.crossfit.com/2011/12/benchsetup.tpl

You'll have to pay to watch this but this means a $25 / year online membership! For the amount you get, you can access a hell of a lot.
NB, I don't actually do CF and I don't really think it complements MTB that well but for those who know a bit about training, I think its fantastic.

Now, did your course cover spreading the floor with DL and SQ........??
Snapping the bar focusing on lats sounds pretty good too. Yeh it wasn't mentioned to me but if it helps you focus on the muscles required then it'll help. I'll try those techniques out next time I'm in the gym.

The bar should rest like accross your nipples, maybe abit lower however this could have just been due to my measurements and not the same for all. I'm pretty sure its there so that your pushing with your lats/chest/tri's and not your shoulders. Bar should always go straight up.

I totally forgot to mention grip! Mybad. Yeh forearm needs to be directly underneath the bar so it takes all the weight and not your wrist.

Haven't heard about spreading the floor, what is that? Could just be an unfamiliar term. I'll add all this into the original post soon.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

moto_guy

Banned
Any of you folk seen this http://www.maxchallenge.com.au/

If you buy mega overpriced supplements for 12 weeks you can win a trip for 2 to Thailand.

In unrelated news had a pre workout supplement before gym today and it didn't do much but make me really shaky and super energized afterwards. Anyone on here still swear by jack3d? Guy selling stuff at the gym said it's some pretty serious shit and needs to be cycled month on month off so your body doesn't get to used to it.

NCR600

Likes Dirt
Any of you folk seen this http://www.maxchallenge.com.au/

If you buy mega overpriced supplements for 12 weeks you can win a trip for 2 to Thailand.

In unrelated news had a pre workout supplement before gym today and it didn't do much but make me really shaky and super energized afterwards. Anyone on here still swear by jack3d? Guy selling stuff at the gym said it's some pretty serious shit and needs to be cycled month on month off so your body doesn't get to used to it.
They're a con. Most are loaded with caffeine and something like Niacin to make you feel flushed and tingly. I've tried a few and felt they helped, but when I stopped, it made no difference at all. The placebo effect can be strong.

I've found a cup of strong coffee and a little bag of glucose lollies works just as well if I'm feeling a bit low before a workout.

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Double espresso before the workout does it for me. I've read a few articles/opinions lately that seem to encourage caution regarding high intake levels of caffeine and other things found in a few pre-work supps. Didn't you use to swear black and blue by Jack3d, Plow?

Thanks for the share Norco, although I've seen dozens of DL vid's, that seemed to make the most sense to me.

@nDr3w

Likes Dirt
They're a con. Most are loaded with caffeine and something like Niacin to make you feel flushed and tingly.
This. That tingly feeling is from beta-alanine, and the rediculous fuck-off energy you get is from a substance called 1,3-dimethylamylamine, a powerful stimulant that is banned by a bunch of sporting bodies. Not to mention the come-down a lot of those pwo things give you that makes you feel like you've been hit by a truck.
A Nodoz tablet and gatorade does it for me these days. A pinch of beta-alanine powder or taurine powder if I'm tired.

Chalkie

Likes Dirt
Which picture? the bench one? It's pretty horrible but it shoes the path the bar needs to travel, he's not "setup" at all. Edited the post, Tried to find a proper picture but it's really hard to see.

Yeah - I was more talking about the fact the guy in the picture is using a reverse grip.

my02

Likes Dirt
Spreading the Floor

Spreading the Floor

When you squat, imagine there is a large piece of strong paper under your feet. By trying to push your feet apart (as if to tear the paper), you get much greater engagement of the glute medius and create extra torque in the joint. Whilst also forcing your knees out (also engaging glute med) you can feel tension getting wound up in the hips.

Say you can comfortably squat 100kg for 10 reps, when you warm up with 60kg, you would most likely find that just the act of maintaining this tension drives you up in the remaining two thirds of the squat.

NB, I find it works better with a wider stance. With heels at shoulder width or slightly wider and a small outward rotation of the feet, I find this works very well.

Just google "spread the floor, squatting" or search through t-nation.com and you should find a lot more detail (and more eloquent explanation).

Last edited:

Steve-0

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah - I was more talking about the fact the guy in the picture is using a reverse grip.
Lol! What the fuck is that shit. I'll delete the photo.
Spreading the Floor

When you squat, imagine there is a large piece of strong paper under your feet. By trying to push your feet apart (as if to tear the paper), you get much greater engagement of the glute medius and create extra torque in the joint. Whilst also forcing your knees out (also engaging glute med) you can feel tension getting wound up in the hips.

Say you can comfortably squat 100kg for 10 reps, when you warm up with 60kg, you would most likely find that just the act of maintain this tension drives you up in the remaining two thirds of the squat.

NB, I find it works better with a wider stance. With heels at shoulder width or slightly wider and a small outward rotation of the feet, I find this works very well.

Just google "spread the floor, squatting" or search through t-nation.com and you should find a lot more detail (and more eloquent explanation).
Never heard of that before, but I think he did say to put the weight through my heels and on the outsides of my feet so maybe that's the same thing? Stops knees bucking in and I guess helps engage your glutes. I also use feet in a fairly wide stance and angled out. feels better.

After learning the proper technique my glutes were being used like 1000x more then before. Helps so much!

NCR600

Likes Dirt
Spreading the Floor

Say you can comfortably squat 100kg for 10 reps, when you warm up with 60kg, you would most likely find that just the act of maintain this tension drives you up in the remaining two thirds of the squat.

I'll give this a crack on monday night and see how my knees deal with it. I've been strugglng with squats for a long time know and watched them go from 130kg to 60kg. I think doing absolutely no cardio (apart from walking) is helping now, and I'm going back up in weight, both on the bar and the gut!

Spreading the bar worked spectacularly well for me in my chest workout, and is probably the missing link for me in that department. Will be hitting 5x5 @ 110 next week, and should do it easily based on this week's effort. Looking for 120 in the next month or so.

Anyone doing Pendlay Rows? How do you find them compared to Tbar rows?

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What's an exercise I can do to failure, to train lats? Asking for situations when I don't have a spotter for benching.

NCR600

Likes Dirt
What's an exercise I can do to failure, to train lats? Asking for situations when I don't have a spotter for benching.
Various sorts of pull downs/ups and rows?

Why do you need a spotter for benching anyway? I never have one, and have only had to do the roll of shame once in the last 4 years, although it's been a close call a few times!

Steve-0

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Pullups Pushups repeat x10000 for epic lats to failure.

Farking weights in the gym have fallen ALOT can't lift farking shit. I've lost fat and gained muscle though. Energy level = zero when it comes to anything heavy, cardio/bodyweight excercises are awesome. I would think I need a break but I've been out of the gym for ~10days. Take a break anyway? Rest is fine, Hydration is fine, Protein is fine, Calories at maintanence maybe slighyly under (not that I'm counting much anymore lol) Stress?

NCR600: I do pendaley rows every now and again. I'd do them more often but I'm too scared of my back rounding or something. I LOVE the cable row machine thing. When you squat, are you starting the movement by pushing your hips back and then going ass to grass? Or do you break at the knees?

my02

Likes Dirt
I'll give this a crack on monday night and see how my knees deal with it. I've been strugglng with squats for a long time know and watched them go from 130kg to 60kg. I think doing absolutely no cardio (apart from walking) is helping now, and I'm going back up in weight, both on the bar and the gut!

Spreading the bar worked spectacularly well for me in my chest workout, and is probably the missing link for me in that department. Will be hitting 5x5 @ 110 next week, and should do it easily based on this week's effort. Looking for 120 in the next month or so.

Anyone doing Pendlay Rows? How do you find them compared to Tbar rows?
Glad to hear the bar spreading worked. I was surprised at how well it worked for me. One you've really got that technique dialled in, try it on the military press. I need to play around with it on HSPUs when I next give them a go.

Its worthwhile repeating this. I've found a lot of useful info on www.mobilitywod.com If you can take the time to go through the vids, you find some real gems in there. And all of his work points towards better performance through more effective and safer technique.

I do Pendlay rows (BB & DB but mainly DB). I find them very effective. I used a dead stop on the floor them try to rip it off without any torso rotation. Its certainly a humbling exercise if you've done heavy DB rows in the past (thinking you could be the next Yates).

NCR600

Likes Dirt
Pullups Pushups repeat x10000 for epic lats to failure.

Farking weights in the gym have fallen ALOT can't lift farking shit. I've lost fat and gained muscle though. Energy level = zero when it comes to anything heavy, cardio/bodyweight excercises are awesome. I would think I need a break but I've been out of the gym for ~10days. Take a break anyway? Rest is fine, Hydration is fine, Protein is fine, Calories at maintanence maybe slighyly under (not that I'm counting much anymore lol) Stress?

NCR600: I do pendaley rows every now and again. I'd do them more often but I'm too scared of my back rounding or something. I LOVE the cable row machine thing. When you squat, are you starting the movement by pushing your hips back and then going ass to grass? Or do you break at the knees?
If you're doing protein + creatine supplementation, try going off it for a month or so and maintaining the weights you're doing now, then hitting it up again. I've found it helps to break plateaus for me anyway.

I've tried so many things when I'm squatting it's not funny. Wide stance, narrow stance, half squats, lift under the heels, front squats, smith machine squats, and the only thing that improves my form and get ATG is front squats, but over 70kg, I physically can't hang onto the bar anymore and they feel a bit sketchy. On a standard squat, hips back and going to thighs parallel with the ground feels best for my knees, but of course isn't the best form and my back (also have a permanantly damaged vertebra, damn mountainbikes!) rounds quite badly. The only other guy in the gym that does halfway decent squats and deads will only do them wearing full mechanical knee braces and a belt. The guy's nearly as old as me, probably as heavy as me and still plays gridiron so he may well be onto something there!

Glad to hear the bar spreading worked. I was surprised at how well it worked for me. One you've really got that technique dialled in, try it on the military press. I need to play around with it on HSPUs when I next give them a go.

Its worthwhile repeating this. I've found a lot of useful info on www.mobilitywod.com If you can take the time to go through the vids, you find some real gems in there. And all of his work points towards better performance through more effective and safer technique.

I do Pendlay rows (BB & DB but mainly DB). I find them very effective. I used a dead stop on the floor them try to rip it off without any torso rotation. Its certainly a humbling exercise if you've done heavy DB rows in the past (thinking you could be the next Yates).
I've started on the Pendlays because 50kg dumbell single arm dumbell rows were getting too light and I can't get more than 80kg onto our T-Bar row machine. Had a bit of an argument with the trainer at the gym who thought my back was too rounded while doing them, despite never having heard of Pendlay rows before and when I told him that my back looks rounded because of my injury he was dead against them! Might have to try them with DB's in future. If the other guy gets onto the Olympic Bar before me, I won't see it again that night!

Cheers!

Steve-0

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Found the problem. Woke up this morning with epic flu symptoms. Must of been screwing me up for the last week and it's finally come forward.

Shitballs.

I've got a busted knee and I'm squatting 1.7x bodyweight. Knee feels better then ever but when I stop squatting it starts to play up. I'm only young but I think squats shouldn't be feared.

@nDr3w

Likes Dirt
Found the problem. Woke up this morning with epic flu symptoms. Must of been screwing me up for the last week and it's finally come forward.
At least now you know what the problem is. Means you can fix it + will be less of a head fuck. I've been pretty sick lately too, on anti-biotics now, still training, lifts are down a bit but it isn't frustrating because there's an identifiable reason for it.

Tried that "spreading the floor" technique, felt really good. Couple more sessions to hone it in and I think it'll make a noticeable difference.

Weighed in at 83.5 today. Pumped to break that 84-85 range I've been stuck on for a while. Will update lifting stats at 80kg.

moto_guy

Banned

Shitballs.

I've got a busted knee and I'm squatting 1.7x bodyweight. Knee feels better then ever but when I stop squatting it starts to play up. I'm only young but I think squats shouldn't be feared.
That's unfortunate. Do you ever straighten your legs while squatting? some say its okay but in my (limited) experience it's bad.

And I have heard from a supplement importer that Jack3d is going to be banned soon.

and in other news I lost my 15th kilo today yeow!