Get the girls with our special weight-loss dieting techniques

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So I trained with "that big guy at the gym" tonight, the same one who gave me deadlift advice a few weeks back...turns out he's the current Australian sub-junior deadlift champ.

[video=youtube;Z9BYNnGMl1Y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9BYNnGMl1Y[/video]

He said he pulled a 300kg dead in his latest powerlifting comp, with a PB of 318. Just in training tonight, he deadlifted 280kg and benched 155kg. Mind=blown. Certainly motivating to do some bigger lifts, and he couldn't be a nicer guy.

Edit: What are people's thoughts of front squats for core workout (since sit-up-like movements are apparently bad/ineffective...)? And finally, what can you folk recommend as an efficient exercise for increasing grip strength? I find the bar slipping out of my non-dominant hand when deadlifting bigger weights, and whilst BB.com lists heaps of grip strength exercises, I'm unsure what would be the most appropriate.

Last edited:

@nDr3w

Likes Dirt
Just deadlifted 400lbs.... feelssogoodman.

And benched 90kg for 1.7reps lol
Shit yeah boss. I'm going for the 200/440 this Saturday!

So I trained with "that big guy at the gym" tonight, the same one who gave me deadlift advice a few weeks back...turns out he's the current Australian sub-junior deadlift champ.

[video=youtube;Z9BYNnGMl1Y]Edit: What are people's thoughts of front squats for core workout (since sit-up-like movements are apparently bad/ineffective...)? And finally, what can you folk recommend as an efficient exercise for increasing grip strength? I find the bar slipping out of my non-dominant hand when deadlifting bigger weights, and whilst BB.com lists heaps of grip strength exercises, I'm unsure what would be the most appropriate.
Front squats are awesome. Doing those + military press will give you a strong core in no time.
As for grip strength, if you're using alternate grip, use double overhand on your warm-ups. Pull-ups with all fingers over the bar (instead of gripping it like a set of handlebars help), as well as things like shrugs and lunges if you don't use straps. Chalk is pretty neat, too.
Those are all the things I used to get mine up to scratch. It could still be better of course, but they definitely helped.

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Awesome lifts Andrew + Stevo, smashing it!

Pull-ups with all fingers over the bar (instead of gripping it like a set of handlebars help).
As if I was climbing? Might give it a go paired with my wide gripped pull ups next time I'm down.

Holy shit, He looks pretty lean too. Learn from him whenever you can!
105kg's, so deadlifting triple his bodyweight.

Last edited:

madridingengineer

Likes Dirt
As if I was climbing? Might give it a go paired with my wide gripped pull ups next time I'm down.

Yeah thats the one. Also try 2 pullups with hands towards you (normal), then do 2 with one hand alternated grip, then 2 with over hand grip, then 2 with the other hand alternated. If you do a couple of circuits that way its a great way to work ALL of your pull strength....

@ Andrew good luck on the 200kg mate...

Been working heavily on my oly lifts lately, sooo much hook grip-hard to get used to firstly, felt like my thumb was going to pull off, but loving it now, been able to get a much longer pull on my power snatch becasue im not tempted to use the arms and take the power away from my legs... took me from a 55kg split snatch to a 57.5kg squat(half squat) snatch. Stoked. Got to got my goal of a 65kg snatch soon!

moto_guy

Banned
And the cut begins...
Just dont be a dooche canoe and use fat loss pills.

Got Arnold Schwarzeneggers guide to modern body building and it's got awesome information. Feel like I can trust what it says rather then what internet says.

my02

Likes Dirt
And finally, what can you folk recommend as an efficient exercise for increasing grip strength? I find the bar slipping out of my non-dominant hand when deadlifting bigger weights, and whilst BB.com lists heaps of grip strength exercises, I'm unsure what would be the most appropriate.
- Get two olympic bars on the floor. Should be parallel and shoulder width apart.
- One end jammed into the wall (protected wall with rubber mats, towel etc).
- Load the other ends with weights.
- Deadlift the loaded ends up holding onto the thick part of the bar.
- Static hold.

If you can't get hold of two bars, try wrapping a towel or cloth around the bar making the grip thicker and therefore harder.

madridingengineer

Likes Dirt
^ Great advice.

When i was rock climbing heaps i found squeezing a squash ball then alternating to a tennis ball and going again helped heaps forearm pump/grip strength. Also picking weight plates up with your hands like a "U" (fingers flat) so you have to squeeze to hold is great too.

Just think creative, there will be a heap of things you can pick up around home that will be heavy enough, do in the ads, do when on the computer that will help.

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
Just dont be a dooche canoe and use fat loss pills.

Got Arnold Schwarzeneggers guide to modern body building and it's got awesome information. Feel like I can trust what it says rather then what internet says.
I'm not sure if that's sarcasm or not? that book has some decent practical advice, but in many other area's completely lacking and way out of date.

As far as grip strength goes, it just happens with time, lift heavy avoid straps and it will occur. I always found weighted chins and deadlifts to both be the best exercise to developing hand strength. With chins I used to use two fingers as i was climbing a lot in the day. Pretty much what everyone has said so far sounds pretty good to me.

moto_guy

Banned
I'm not sure if that's sarcasm or not? that book has some decent practical advice, but in many other area's completely lacking and way out of date.
It's the updated version. The exercises, techniques and workouts in there seem to be just as up to date as anything I have seen on BB.com . It's all about body building which is what I'm wanting to do. what area's do you think are lacking and out of date?.

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
It's the updated version. The exercises, techniques and workouts in there seem to be just as up to date as anything I have seen on BB.com . It's all about body building which is what I'm wanting to do. what area's do you think are lacking and out of date?.
I'd have to have another look through it, friend has it and I've only flicked through it and dismissed it, the new version is very similar to the 85(?) edition.

At the risk of sounding offensive - Lots of pseudo-science, the rationale, diet advice, volume and suggested workouts and programming from memory where not realistic (or just plain bad), unless you're on the gear (heavily) or genetically gifted. Although that's typical of anything written by an athlete or body builder vs an actual expert. Although I freely admit, there wouldn't be too many decent books out there.

Work has 2 copies in the library, I'll have a look.

@nDr3w

Likes Dirt
Beast! 200kg is a big milestone, go for it!
@ Andrew good luck on the 200kg mate...
Thanks guys, fingers crossed! De-loading today and tomorrow, going to rest up and try and hit it some time over the long weekend.

Heading in to uni on Wednesday to take part in a study they're doing on cyclists. Height/Weight/Bodyfat% + vo2 max and stuff will be tested, pretty excited to see how that goes + try and use the results to my benefit.

Also, I'm considering starting Sheiko 29 as soon as I'm done cutting (hopefully no more than another 6 weeks max). Looks like a good step-up from 5x5.

moto_guy

Banned
At the risk of sounding offensive - Lots of pseudo-science, the rationale, diet advice, volume and suggested workouts and programming from memory where not realistic (or just plain bad), unless you're on the gear (heavily) or genetically gifted. Although that's typical of anything written by an athlete or body builder vs an actual expert. Although I freely admit, there wouldn't be too many decent books out there.
Mate I thought you would love the diet advice as he recommends getting your daily protein intake from as much food as possible and not relying on supplements. The science that is mentioned is very basic, I learnt more in year 12 HPE.

There are 2 levels of workout plan and one is for the juice heads/gifted and the other is for the experienced body builder just getting to competition which I am not. Give it another 6 months and I probably could be up to it.

Steve-0

Likes Bikes and Dirt
How tall are you? Pretty lean for 93kg. Looking good! (no homo)

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk