Get the girls with our special weight-loss dieting techniques

Steve-0

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Bummer. If you haven't pulled 190kg, maybe it was too big of a jump? Unlucky.

What's the EDC website?

@nDr3w

Likes Dirt
Bummer. If you haven't pulled 190kg, maybe it was too big of a jump? Unlucky.

What's the EDC website?
It may have been, though I figured consistently pulling 90% of that weight for triples would be enough. Not to worry.
Extreme Dips Crew.

Steve-0

Likes Bikes and Dirt
haha jumpers, Happy Birthday Andrew! Enjoy your 21st mate, Next big party isn't until 50:p

Squat max today, 125kg, +5kg PB. Aiming for 400kg total (currently 395) and 5kg less fat by July 1st. Doubt I'll get the 400kg then but it's time to start the hunger games haha.

**Winter cutters crew** Checkin' in.

Steve-0

Likes Bikes and Dirt
This first week has been awesome. The food is great and alot tastier then the shit I've been eating (Went full IIFYM McD's style) It's also not hard as it was a 2100cal starter week, lost 250grams lol.

Once the calories start dropping, oh lordy. Thinking of building up a set of wheels w/ slicks so I can ride more often during the week = more food.

@nDr3w

Likes Dirt
Been cutting for 7 months now. Around 15kg down, so I just try to take solace in the fact that I'm hitting pretty close to that half a kg a week and try to keep consistent. Fuuuuuuuu.

But yeah, I just got a roadie, too!

haydenw

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So I've been racing bmx for almost a year, and am now fully into it. Hence why I have joined the gym etc... I have also been doing sprints on and off for around 6 months. Just wondering if anyone has any experience as to what is a good cadence (rpm) to hit.... today after a full legs session at the gym I jumped on a spin bike and after a few tries managed to hit 208rpm (with no mechanical resistance set). Just trying to gauge where I am, does anyone have any numbers they could swing my way?

Steve-0

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Quick little bump with some info: http://ausbb.com/strength-training-power-lifting/18273-benching.html

Sticky on AusBB (Owner of PTC Brisbane) was kind enough to do a write up of how to bench correctly. This man knows his shit.

Personal update: Sprained my AC Joint in a DH race last Sunday. Front tire slipped out and I went shoulder/head first into the ground. In a sling all this week, could be awhile before I'm lifting heavy again but it's getting better every day. Full ROM should be by next weekend then just have to wait for it to get stronger from there.

jonozrx

Likes Dirt
I've busted two of my fingers and haven't been able to train since the end of January. Been avoiding this thread so I don't have to see other people progressing, haha.

I can ride my bike, but no upper body weights. It's really killing my motivation to stay fit so I'm turning into a blob.

Plow King

Little bit.
That bites man! Hope your back in there soon. Im feeling you on the blob thing. I'm down to around 90. I'm hoping for a lean 80 ill post up a pic later and see if you guys think that's plausable. No homo

syphon_the_python

Likes Dirt
Any tips on cutting? I have bulked to 98kg and wish to lean up (NB: I am 6'3 so 98kg is not enormous).

At the moment I am planning on caloric deficit such that I will lose 500g - 1kg per week. I'm prioritising protein and limiting carbs, but am still stressed about losing lean body mass. Should I look into BCAAs? Have read they may be useful to maintain muscle mass whilst on a hard cut.

Will post pics soon (no homo).

@nDr3w

Likes Dirt
Get well soon injured guys.

Last week of cutting/5x5 this week. Back on to bulking and sweet, sweet muscle memory next week! Sheiko 29, I am excited.

This whole thread needs a (no homo) tag, lulz.

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
Any tips on cutting? I have bulked to 98kg and wish to lean up (NB: I am 6'3 so 98kg is not enormous).

At the moment I am planning on caloric deficit such that I will lose 500g - 1kg per week. I'm prioritising protein and limiting carbs, but am still stressed about losing lean body mass. Should I look into BCAAs? Have read they may be useful to maintain muscle mass whilst on a hard cut.

Will post pics soon (no homo).
You will lose a bit of muscle mass no matter what (Unless your medically enhanced muscle will be lost and your 1 RM's will go down a little.) if you minimise carbs over protein you will still lose muscle mass as you need carbs for protein synthesis. Taper each down by a little bit. Aim to be in a small calorie deficit each day. If you don't have a timeline for loss - ie competition weight by a set date and can do it slower, aim to lose 500g per week at most, this will minimise muscle atrophy.

Obviously training during cutting helps reduce muscle loss - so continue to train, but you may need to taper down the intensity or total volume depending if you start to feel weak, a sign that perhaps you are too calorie starved.

BCAA's appear to help attenuate the muscle loss, although clinical trials are lacking in number and quality. They have attempted to use them during cancer therapy and frailty with mixed results. From memory leucine is the one to take, just before bed time, to minimise loss over night.

Leucine at least in mice studies have demonstrated in increase in fat metabolism, whilst in humans I have no idea?

jonozrx

Likes Dirt
Leucine is the one that stimulates the muscle growth/repair, but whenever you metabolise a Leucine molecule you also metabolise some isoleucine and valine. At a guess you probably already have enough of the others if you eat a high-protein diet, but I'm not sure about that so I take all 3 just in case.

As MWI said there are some recent studies around (including on dose/timing) but not many. IMO, BCAA is just about the only "muscle builder" supplement worth taking.

I also have a slightly different take to MWI re: timing for BCAAs.

Also note that it is possible to damage organs by megadosing BCAA, so for your own sake please don't do it.

Last edited:

Chalkie

Likes Dirt
Been getting into the High Intensity Interval Training lately and loving it. Here's one I did last night - 300 rep workout (not the original 300 workout)

20 (10 left, 10 right) – One arm assist push-ups (do a one arm push up but drop your other elbow onto the floor to balance)
20 (10 left, 10 right) – Cross plank knee to elbow (plank position, bring your right knee under your body and through to your left elbow, alternate)
15 – Pull-ups (wide)
20 – 20kg plate thrusters (squat to overhead press)
25 – 20kg landmines
25 – X kettle bell swings
25 – Kettle bell sit-up raise & twist

Do 2 rounds of the exercises for a total of 300 reps

I added 30 seconds of skipping between each set to pad it out a bit. Took around 20 minutes to do and shoulders were on fire by the end. Give it a shot.

downhillar

Likes Dirt
Does anyone have any opinion on using the back extension bench to strengthen the lower back? I use it with a 10kg plate (I don't find the plate very heavy but I just don't want to overdo it and hurt myself). Reason being, I hate deadlifts with a passion, and found it much more appealing to use this. Obviously it doesn't do anything for your legs like deadlifts might, but for lower back strength alone is it worth using?
0706_back_extension.jpg

my02

Likes Dirt
Have you looked at Romanian Deadlifts? I did these for a long time due to not getting on with conventional deadlifts.

You may find you get sufficient work from exercises like bent over rows, back squats and others which have a element of isometric involvement of the LB muscles.

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Update! Set a few pb's tonight, absolutely stoked. I'm in quite a bit of pain now, so definitely keen to see what tomorrow is like.

Weight is at a peak, sitting around 83.5kg's currently. Since starting in mid-March, I've gained 7kg's. Deadlift has gone up from 100kg to 160kg, bench has gone from 50kg to 72.5kg and squat has increased from 80kg to 125kg. Absolutely stoked with the results over the past 6 weeks, and have definitely got to thank a few individuals in this thread for all the help given to me thus far.
Short term goals are 90kg by the end of June, maintain my weight over the snow season and hit 200kg deadlift + 100kg bench by October. Keeeeeeeen.