Get the girls with our special weight-loss dieting techniques

Plow King

Little bit.
You're implying that over 2.5 weeks, you used to drink 49000 calories worth of coke. That's over 300 cans. 7 kilos would be mostly liquid. That is the 'yo-yo weight'.
I said implementing the stategy as a whole, not just the coke. Although it wouldn't suprise me if I did drink over 300 cans. haha.

I wouldn't exactly call it 'yo yo' dieting either, A large bowl of breakfast, a sandwhich of some despription at lunch, some fruit then some grilled chicken for dinner. Not exactly starvation by any means.

Last edited:

stringbean

Likes Bikes and Dirt
a friend of my mum drank around 4L of coke everyday for about 10 years and was quite a big lady. after going to the dentist she needed a op (due to the coke) so had to stop drinking it for 2 weeks before the surgery. in that 2 weeks she lost around 15-20kg, without changing anything but the amount of coke she drank. since then she went on a diet and has now lost quite a substantial amount of weight.

Gudsell

Likes Dirt
Name: Jake.
Height: 186cm
Start Weight: 90 something, haven't actually checked for a few weeks.
Current Weight: Same as above.
Desired Weight: Mid 80's
BMI: 27.26% or so
Current Workout Plan:
Only just started this week, but i've got to get a definate weight so I can start to set goals. Running of course, but sometimes mixing it up with sprinting 100m then walking 100m, sprinting another 100m, walking another 100m and so on.

fezi

Likes Dirt
Name:Fezi
Height:191
Start Weight:88kg
Current Weight:88kg
Desired Weight:84kg
BMI:24.1
Current Workout Plan:
I currently do approx 12-14hrs of riding a week. Burn anywhere from 8500-12000 calories a week.(according to my polar) I also do a resistance program 2-3 times a week plus a additional core program with the resistance jobbie. I'll drop the 4-5kg I want in the next 4-5 weeks all in time for my next 100km race.

Christmas day I was 98kg and started training boxing day for the BMC100. Goal weight was 88kg. Got there 2 weeks before the race. Aim is to be 84kg on a regular basis.

On a side note BMI is next to useless. Hip to waist ratio is where its at. Google will sort you out for info

Nub

Banned
Running of course, but sometimes mixing it up with sprinting 100m then walking 100m, sprinting another 100m, walking another 100m and so on.
Take this from a sprinter.

Do it in much shorter intervals, i.e. 10 meters on, 10 meters off, 10 meters on, 10 meters off. Do it for 100-150 meters then do a slow jog back to the start. Is a very good workout. But, there is something very important, DO NOT WALK, never, ever walk in between spriting, always jog, keeps up your heartrate, keeps your blood flowing, keeps the acid in the right places. Its much, much better for your workout and your body.

You can also break up a 100mtr track into splits and do build ups for a very difficult session. Repeat more than 5-10 times and you WILL be hurting.

First 20m, 40%.
20-40m, 60%
40-60m, 80%
60-100m, 100%.

maxwolfie

under-the-radar comedian
Name:Greg
Height:189
Start Weight:~110kg
Current Weight:91
Desired Weight:89kg
BMI:
Current Workout Plan: (almost) daily road training, dirt riding on weekend

chu

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Alright so I was doing some thinking (which is never good) and I thought that maybe we could do something like you would see in a fat fighters meeting and update once every couple of months? Does anyone else think that this is a good idea?

The way I thought that we could go about doing this is by quoting your last update and that way we won't have to dig through the thread to find every ones wait losses (or gains if need be). Thoughts?

Last edited:

copps

Likes Bikes
Alright so I was doing some thinking (which is never good) and I thought that maybe we could do something like you would see in a fat fighters meeting and update once every couple of months? Does anyone else think that this is a good idea?

The way I thought that we could go about doing this is by quoting your last update and that way we won't have to dig through the thread to find every ones wait losses (or gains if need be). Thoughts?
I think that sounds like a plan.

I got some extra motivation today. I went to meet my son after his first day at pre-school, and while I was there some random kid ran up to me yelling out "daddy". He soon figured out that I wasn't and walked off. Not long after his actual dad rocked up and lets just say that to be mistaken for this guy who was MASSIVELY obese, I will be pedaling my arse off to work in the morning.

frostbite

Likes Dirt
Why not - I need somewhere to be accountable.

Name: Fil
Height: 183 cm
Start Weight: 75kg
Current Weight: 75kg
Desired Weight: 85kg
BMI: meh
Current Workout Plan:

I work in an office. I sit on my ass for 8+ hours a day (today: 12 and counting..). I have the IT physique, 'skinny-fat', which means I have little muscle, but a bit soft generally especially around the waist and I have a slight layer of 'insulation' around my 'pecs'.

However - I am currently aiming for the below:
-2 x cardio a week (running at the moment. A 4km run around the block which is actually fairly easy after doing it a few times. Might also bust out the bike and do some night rides)
-3 x weights. Currently working out with a mate who has a bench and some freeweights in his garage. Mostly chest shoulders and arms at the moment which I realise is not optimal, but better than nothing. I am going to join the local uni gym (monash uni for any melbourne farkers who want a gym partner) soon though. I have a particular program that I want to start on which focuses mostly on bench press, squats and deadlifts with the intention of bulking up. My build is more of a 'lean' one when Im fit, and I'd like to be a bit bigger generally.
- I play squash once a week for an hour and half or so, and my goal is to go out for a bike ride on most weekends. Basically I want to do one or two physical 'fun' activities a week.

Diet:
Done some reading on the internet about this. Found something about macronutrient breakdowns and blah blah blah what it basically boils down to is that I need to eat more protien than what I get usually. I should be aiming for approx a 40/40/20 percentage split between protien/carbs/fat and for my weight I should be putting away around 2300 calories to increase my weight. Currently Im doing a shit job of sticking to this. Since I moved in with my folks I have little control over what I eat, and my choices at work generally suck too. Especially when Im still at work at 10pm like today. While I'm not eating heaps of unhealthy stuff (I have cut down on the crap that I used to eat though and I think this has helped heaps) I'm still not getting the protein I should be, and eating too many carbs. In a months time I'm going overseas to work during which time I'm going to have full control over my diet and convenient access to gym equipment. My goal there is to put in a solid 3 months to build a foundation for future plans... and look good for summer (lame i know).

I've been doing this for about 3 weeks, and I've lost maybe about 2-3kg of fat weight in that time. I actually feel heaps better too. Ive noticed that some pants fit a bit better now which is cool too.

Also - If anyone is interested in having a 'fitness' buddy to track with, and be accountable to, PM me.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally Posted by chu

yep

Last edited:

slip

Beefcake...BEEFCAKE!!!
BMI. Ignore it.

What an utterly ludicrous measurement. It has no basis on bodyfat, muscle, frame, natural density.

Not to mention the fact that the 'overweight' and 'ideal' weight ranges can be completely ludicrous. In fact, I'm pissed off. I'm almost in the overweight range. And will be soon. Tall, lean, skinny. Around 11% bodyfat.

If you are quite overweight, then yeah, it will give you somewhat of a guide. But so will the scales. If someone at my height goes by BMI - 84kg is overweight. This could really mess with some peoples minds, because getting under that could be quite an effort for many people - and totally unnecessary - but they wouldn't know that.

It's a horribly inadequate thing, don't demean yourself by considering it.

Note: Some people were listing their BMI as a %. BMI is just weight and height. The % figure is a bodyfat ratio. This is an excellent measurement - although often taken inaccurately by scales.

Deep breath.....

On a brighter note - awesome thread to see.

slip.
Personal Trainer.

NCR600

Likes Dirt
BMI. Ignore it.

What an utterly ludicrous measurement. It has no basis on bodyfat, muscle, frame, natural density.

Not to mention the fact that the 'overweight' and 'ideal' weight ranges can be completely ludicrous. In fact, I'm pissed off. I'm almost in the overweight range. And will be soon. Tall, lean, skinny. Around 11% bodyfat.

If you are quite overweight, then yeah, it will give you somewhat of a guide. But so will the scales. If someone at my height goes by BMI - 84kg is overweight. This could really mess with some peoples minds, because getting under that could be quite an effort for many people - and totally unnecessary - but they wouldn't know that.

It's a horribly inadequate thing, don't demean yourself by considering it.

Note: Some people were listing their BMI as a %. BMI is just weight and height. The % figure is a bodyfat ratio. This is an excellent measurement - although often taken inaccurately by scales.

Deep breath.....

On a brighter note - awesome thread to see.

slip.
Personal Trainer.
Absolutely. I believe it was invented by an American life insurance company, so it's bound to be over simplified and skewed towards the more unrealistic end of the scale.

in the mid 90's I was doing an awful lot of weight training and weighed 115kg, and it said I was verging on the morbidly obese. When I decided to back off on the weights in a vain attempt to be a half competitive XC rider and dropped down to 105kg, I was still obese!

I'd be dead if I tried to get into the normal region going by that thing! I was riding 300ks a week, 5 sessions in the gym and watching my diet with a very large microscope to get to 105kg too. I was the fittest I'd ever been, and I dare say fitter than 90% of the general population, but according to BMI, I was obese!

Back to reality for a moment, I'm now at 125kg, and I've lost 5 over 3 months. Been doing 3 gym sessions a week and trying to get a decent hike (10k's+) in atleast once a week. My knees are completely and utterly screwed now though, to the point they hurt when stomping it on a bicycle. I can't even do lunges, the back knee (doesn't matter which side) collapses long before I even get close to the lowest form. I'm trying to get to 115 again, but it's going to be a struggle with fucked knees, and a brain scarred from childhood/teenage memories of swimming training that won't allow me to go near a pool!

Still it's coming off slowly, and at least they'll still let me do cardio while looking like a dork on the cross training machine!

slip

Beefcake...BEEFCAKE!!!
Its a pain, but avoid lunges especially, and anything else that hurts the knees as much as possible. Short range leg press can do the trick, try different leg press machines to find a good one. You'd be amazed at the things you can do with borked knees after some experimentation, while avoiding pain.

But then again, some knees are just screwed. 110kg+ lunging on em won't help though.

NCR600

Likes Dirt
Its a pain, but avoid lunges especially, and anything else that hurts the knees as much as possible. Short range leg press can do the trick, try different leg press machines to find a good one. You'd be amazed at the things you can do with borked knees after some experimentation, while avoiding pain.

But then again, some knees are just screwed. 110kg+ lunging on em won't help though.

Yeah, I've been doing some shorter leg presses, I've got a very definite click in my right knee that signals the danger point. I've just been stopping short of there and haven't been getting pain. I've been playing around with fitball squats and lunges too, which seems to be ok as long as I don't go too far again. There's no lack of strength in my legs per se, it's more of a stability problem, I've found I can "twist" my knee, causing a great deal of pain just getting off the cross trainer!

I think the simplest thing I can do is getting some weight off, but that's going to take a while yet.

Name: george
Height: 183
Start Weight: 57kg
Current Weight: 62kg
Desired Weight: realistically ? 70kg. ideally, 80kg.
Current Workout/Diet Plan:

Workout

monday: leg work.

5 sets smith machine squats
3 sets railed leg press
3 sets calf raises on railed machine

tuesday: abs/shoulders/back

in a circuit,

5 sets inclined situps, with 3kg medicine ball
5 sets lat pull-downs
5 lets horizontal trap raises

wednesday: rest day

thursday: chest/upper body

3 sets flat bench press
3 sets incline smith press
2 sets flat flys
2 sets incline flys
if the damn pec deck got fixed i'd substitute that in but, it hasn't as yet :/

friday: biceps/triceps

5 sets hammer curls
3 sets front bar curls
5 sets flat behind-the-head tri curls

saturday: rest

sunday: rest

diet

during the week:

up & go at approx 8.30

pancakes at 10.00

6x chicken medallions from legs & breasts at 12.00

some kfc at 3.30 before hitting the gymn

smash a shake after the gymn

6.30 or so - tea, consisting of vegies/fish generally or, i'll smash a pizza with an absolute shitload of cheese on it for the extra protein on wednesay

usually smash up a pizza later on at about 9.30-10.00 or another pizza or some toasted sangers or whatever, mmm

saturday: waking up late means usually toasted sangers for lunch, god knows what for tea and then i proceed to drink 15-20 beers that night and smash some greasy god-awful takeaway food and wake up feeling like death, and realise that anything i've gained throughout the week has disappeared over the course of the previous night.

sunday: god knows what.

stupidly enough i put weight on at about 1kg/week and feel great when i don't go out drinking but, that doesn't happen often :eek:

Fatman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If I stopped drinking my ideal weight would be easily attainable, but who the fuck am I kidding, the price just isn't worth it. No-one leaves this life alive so I'm returning the carcass to its maker as well used as possible.
When I raced XC I was down to the lowest weight I could be and I felt sick all the time, now I rarely get sick but if BMI was the judge I'd be in real trouble. Good luck to all of you, I'll be drinking beer and eating mouldy and gooey French cheese while cheering you on.;)

apart obviously from the "stop drinking" thing,

can slip or anyone else that knows what they're talking about tell me where i could improve/modify my program to get some more gains ?

Daver

Kung Fu Panda
I'm not filling out a template, but for the record I've lost 18kg in the last 12 months, another 27 and I'll be at fighting weight. I wouldn't say loosing that much was easy, but it is definitely worth it!

NCR600

Likes Dirt
If I stopped drinking my ideal weight would be easily attainable, but who the fuck am I kidding, the price just isn't worth it. No-one leaves this life alive so I'm returning the carcass to its maker as well used as possible.
When I raced XC I was down to the lowest weight I could be and I felt sick all the time, now I rarely get sick but if BMI was the judge I'd be in real trouble. Good luck to all of you, I'll be drinking beer and eating mouldy and gooey French cheese while cheering you on.;)
That's sort of summing up my attitude to the whole thing too. While I want to lose weight, my diet, while quite a bit worse than it was when I was racing isn't that bad compared to what I see most people eating. In fact day to day, it's pretty good and always has been.

While changing my diet might make the weight fall off a bit faster, I'm not compromising on the cheese and beer either. If it makes you happy, why stop if it's not killing you?

slip

Beefcake...BEEFCAKE!!!
apart obviously from the "stop drinking" thing,

can slip or anyone else that knows what they're talking about tell me where i could improve/modify my program to get some more gains ?
My god yes. Most of it sucks. Do chest and back early in the week, then legs, then arms so they have some recovery.

For those wanting to put on some size, there are SO many programs floating around on the net which you can use. I've come across some quite good ones.

Where is all the leg work?
monday: leg work.
Get some hamstring work in there, and some single leg stuff like lunges,
5 sets smith machine squats
3 sets railed leg press
3 sets calf raises on railed machine

tuesday: abs/shoulders/back

in a circuit,
Where is the horizontal pulling???? Seated row my boy! Oh and deadlifts! You want size and strength, get some deadlifts up you. Be very serious with your technique though, get taught properly - many dont and lift too much, very poorly, missing out on all the benefits. Back day should be massive, this has 1 back exercise really.
5 sets inclined situps, with 3kg medicine ball
5 sets lat pull-downs
5 lets horizontal trap raises

wednesday: rest day

thursday: chest/upper body
Dont rely on flys too much. Compound is your friend. Try dumbell inclince instead of smith.
3 sets flat bench press
3 sets incline smith press
2 sets flat flys
2 sets incline flys
if the damn pec deck got fixed i'd substitute that in but, it hasn't as yet :/

friday: biceps/triceps
Too many sets, too few exercises, where is all the tri work? Tris = big looking arms. 3 sets, 4-6 exercises on this day, half bi half tri.
5 sets hammer curls
3 sets front bar curls
5 sets flat behind-the-head tri curls

saturday: rest

sunday: rest

diet

during the week:

up & go at approx 8.30

pancakes at 10.00

6x chicken medallions from legs & breasts at 12.00

some kfc at 3.30 before hitting the gymn

smash a shake after the gymn

6.30 or so - tea, consisting of vegies/fish generally or, i'll smash a pizza with an absolute shitload of cheese on it for the extra protein on wednesay

usually smash up a pizza later on at about 9.30-10.00 or another pizza or some toasted sangers or whatever, mmm

saturday: waking up late means usually toasted sangers for lunch, god knows what for tea and then i proceed to drink 15-20 beers that night and smash some greasy god-awful takeaway food and wake up feeling like death, and realise that anything i've gained throughout the week has disappeared over the course of the previous night.

sunday: god knows what.

stupidly enough i put weight on at about 1kg/week and feel great when i don't go out drinking but, that doesn't happen often :eek: