Get the girls with our special weight-loss dieting techniques

Plow King

Little bit.
Slip, hey Slip. YO SLIIP SLLLLLLLIIIIIIIIIIIIIPPPPPPP!!!! SLIIIIIPPPPPP!!!

Got a question.

WTF does METS stand for, its always on the tredmil etc. Should I be looking at maintaining a certain MET/s?

Lots of love,

Jesus.

cameron_15

Eats Squid
I've had my first session in the school holidays yesterday and I achieved a couple of my goals set earlier in the year. I benched 84kg's (My weight), up from about 30kg's when I started 6 months ago. I squatted 60kg's up from 30kg's. Bicep curled 18kg's, up from 7.5 earlier in the year.

It's great seeing some awesome results. Time to set some new goals!

While I'm here, has anyone got any tips for stopping the pain of the barbell pressing against your spine whilst doing squats? Is there another way I should hold it? I've tried using towels as padding but it has little effect when Lifting the heavier weights.

DJninja

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've found a hand towel has reduced the pain heaps. If thats not working a thick piece of rubber. Maybe try front mounted squats or look at changing where you put it on your back (ie mount it lower). Also how close are your hands together? the closer they are the more back the barbell has to sit on.

slip

Beefcake...BEEFCAKE!!!
Slip, hey Slip. YO SLIIP SLLLLLLLIIIIIIIIIIIIIPPPPPPP!!!! SLIIIIIPPPPPP!!!

Got a question.

WTF does METS stand for, its always on the tredmil etc. Should I be looking at maintaining a certain MET/s?

Lots of love,

Jesus.
Metres/second?

slip

Beefcake...BEEFCAKE!!!
I put it to you that measuring yourself with a random algorithm based number which is a guesstimate at best, while running on a machine which provides the 'movement' is not something to concern yourself with. Just stick to the basics - dist/time, intensity, speed, minimising rest between sprints, etc.

How come you're running on treadies Plow?

Last edited:

Plow King

Little bit.
I put it to you that measuring yourself with a random algorithm based number which is a guesstimate at best, while running on a machine which provides the 'movement' is not something to concern yourself with. Just stick to the basics - dist/time, intensity, speed, minimising rest between sprints, etc.

How come you're running on treadies Plow?
Tredmill is inside, pretty ladies run infront and next to me, TVs at the front of work out areas. Pretty ladies running infront. Pretty ladies stretching infront, lack of shit weather due to being indoors. TVs at the front of work out areas, Pretty women running and stretching infront. etc.

Also. It's great as soon as I'm off the tredmil I can fk off to the other stuff in the gym where various other pretty ladies are.

IMO.

I'm getting fitter at the gym. A shitload fitter. Ran 55km this week @ an average speed of 10kph.

Fitness. WOOOO!!!!

OMFG PRETTY LADIES.

That's why I'm on tredmils.

wombat

Lives in a hole
If you don't wanna buy something just use a backpack and load it with weights, waterbottles, sand bags - what ever.
How about a camera bag?:p Seems to be doing the trick for starters.

Another thought that came to me after one of my rope supports for the bar let go (don't worry, it's properly mounted up there now): is there such a thing as a pivoting/swinging chinup bar? I'm thinking a bar , only suspended in the middle, with the ends free to move up and down?

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
I have a favour to ask some one/anyone.

I'm taking creatine monohydrate over here right now but I have no way to measure my dose. I should be drinking around 7 grams per day but have no idea how much that is.

Is anyone taking creatine? Does anyone know a person who may be taking it? Anyone offer any help? It is important as too much creatine can put pressure on the kidneys.

PS, I did go to my local shop and tried to use their electronic scales but according to them 6 grams was about 7 heaped teaspoons and I'm a bit skeptical that was right.

NCR600

Likes Dirt
I have a favour to ask some one/anyone.

I'm taking creatine monohydrate over here right now but I have no way to measure my dose. I should be drinking around 7 grams per day but have no idea how much that is.

Is anyone taking creatine? Does anyone know a person who may be taking it? Anyone offer any help? It is important as too much creatine can put pressure on the kidneys.

PS, I did go to my local shop and tried to use their electronic scales but according to them 6 grams was about 7 heaped teaspoons and I'm a bit skeptical that was right.
5 grams= 1 teaspoon. Or at least that's what it says on the back of the jar. Will check now.

EDIT: Measured on the Deborah Hutton digital kitchen scales 1 level teaspoon (measure) weighs 4g. That's close enough to what it says on the box for me without resorting to the special powder measuring scales ;)

Normally you load with 30-35 grams per day for a week then go to a maintenance dose of 5g per day for 4 weeks (or 12) then wash out for 1 week (or 4) depending on regimen. Pretty sure this prevents any kidney dramas, and I've not had any even on the 12 week cycles.

Last edited:

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Found this rather girl orientated article on yahoo, thought it mught be interesting to post and possibly read some opinions on it.

8 Foods That Fight Fat

by Lucy Danziger, SELF Editor-in-Chief a Yahoo! Health Expert for Women's
Want to lose weight as you chow down? Your wish is granted! (I promise, this is no fairy tale.) Your supermarket is filled with foods that studies show have lipid-melting powers to help melt fat and keep you slim. Stock up on these fat-fighting super bites, and you'll be trimmer even as you indulge. Read on to discover the eight foods that deserve a permanent spot in your fridge—and in your diet!

Almonds These yummy nuts are high in alpha-linolenic acid, which can accelerate your metabolism of fats. In fact, dieters who ate 3 ounces of almonds daily slashed their weight and body-mass index by 18 percent, while those who skipped the nuts reduced both numbers less— just 11 percent—a study in the International Journal of Obesity revealed. Chomp almonds à la carte (limit yourself to 12 per serving to keep calories in check). I get a pack at Starbucks and nibble throughout my day. Or sprinkle them into a recipe such as Black Bean–Almond Pesto Chicken. Go nuts!

Berries I tell my daughter, "These are nature's candy!" Turns out they're also your body's best friends. Strawberries, raspberries and other vitamin C–spiked fruit can supercharge your workout, helping you burn up to 30 percent more fat, research from Arizona State University at Mesa has found. If they're not in season, buy the little gems frozen in a bulk-sized bag so you'll always have them on hand to whip up a Berry Bliss Smoothie or Strawberry-Sunflower Pops, regardless of whether berries are in season.

Cinnamon Adding 1/4 teaspoon to your plate may prevent an insulin spike—an uptick that tells your body to store fat. Sprinkle it on your morning cereal or coffee or on your yogurt in the A.M., or savor it in Apple-Cinnamon-Raisin Oatmeal.

Mustard It's heaven on a soft pretzel, but mustard may also be a weight loss wonder. Turmeric, the spice that gives mustard its color, may slow the growth of fat tissues, a study in the journal Endocrinology finds. Use it on sandwiches instead of mayo, or sprinkle turmeric on cauliflower pre-roasting to give it a kick. Try it on tuna salad—I promise it adds zest.

Oranges This citrus fruit, which contains fat-blasting compounds known as flavones, deserves to be your main squeeze. Women who ate the most flavones had a much lower increase in body fat over a 14-year period, a study in The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition notes. Eat oranges sliced or swig fresh OJ (including pulp!) to get the best benefit from the fruit.

Soybeans Reason to toss a half cup on your salad? Soybeans are rich in choline, a compound that blocks the absorption of fat and breaks down fatty deposits. Oh, and they're addictively delish! But if breast cancer runs in your family, experts suggest you should talk to your doc before adding soy to your diet.

Sweet potatoes The colorful spuds' high-fiber content means they keep your insulin steadier than their white sisters, which means less fat packed on your hips, research finds. Top a small baked tater with lowfat cottage cheese for a tempting side dish, or whip up Miso Soup With Sweet Potato Dumplings.

Swiss cheese Calcium-rich foods reduce fat-producing enzymes and increase fat breakdown, and Swiss has more calcium than many of its cheesy peers. Choose the reduced-fat variety, such as Sargento. Slip it into your sandwich, put it on top of high-fiber crackers or use it for a healthier grilled cheese. Yum!

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
5 grams= 1 teaspoon. Or at least that's what it says on the back of the jar. Will check now.

EDIT: Measured on the Deborah Hutton digital kitchen scales 1 level teaspoon (measure) weighs 4g. That's close enough to what it says on the box for me without resorting to the special powder measuring scales ;)

Normally you load with 30-35 grams per day for a week then go to a maintenance dose of 5g per day for 4 weeks (or 12) then wash out for 1 week (or 4) depending on regimen. Pretty sure this prevents any kidney dramas, and I've not had any even on the 12 week cycles.
Awesome, thanks very much, mate.

The back of my tub (GNC) says one heaped teaspoon. It also says that there is no side effects and too much won't hurt you..., which we both know is bullshit. So I wasn't too keen on following their advice for the daily dose either.

The advice I've been following (linked below) says loading for about 5 days at 0.3% of body weight and 0.03% for maintenance. I was recently able to buy a kilo tub of monohydrate in the states for about USD30, which if I remember correctly is a bargain compared to Australia.

I've found this site to be by far the most exhaustive when it comes to coverage of info and scientifically based when it comes to quality of info: http://www.creatinemonohydrate.net/ Nothing on this site conflicts with the info that I've received from a number of different professional, medical and academic sources.

Thanks again for helping me with that, mate. Really appreciate it.

PS, pass my regards on to Deborah H. as well!!

Last edited:

maxwolfie

under-the-radar comedian
I've been following a modified version of Rippetoe's Starting Strength (http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=998224 or http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/Starting_Strength_Wiki) routine. As you can see, the core of it is squats, bench presses, deadlifts (Workout "A") and squats, overhead presses and powercleans (Workout "B"). Note that I've substituted powercleans for bent over barbell rows, mainly because I just can't seem to do powercleans properly (and safely). I'm doing a 12, 10, 8 warmup pattern with progressively increasing warm up weights, and then 5 x 3 for the working set.

So here's my routine for Workout A and Workout B:

Workout A
Squats - 12 low weight, 10 low-mid weight, 8 mid weight, 5 x 3 working weight
Bench Press - 12 low weight, 10 low-mid weight, 8 mid weight, 5 x 3 working weight
Deadlift - 12 low weight, 10 low-mid weight, 8 mid weight, 5 x 3 working weight
Incline Dumbell Flyes - 12 x 3
Chin ups / Pull ups - 5 x 5
Dips - 5 x 5
20 - 40 mins running (usually)

Workout B
Squats - 12 low weight, 10 low-mid weight, 8 mid weight, 5 x 3 working weight
Press - 12 low weight, 10 low-mid weight, 8 mid weight, 5 x 3 working weight
Bent Over Barbell Rows - 12 low weight, 10 low-mid weight, 8 mid weight, 5 x 3 working weight
Seated Calf Raise - 12 x 3
Chin ups / Pull ups - 5 x 5
Dips - 5 x 5
20 - 40 mins running (usually)

I've been doing this three times a week, either Mon, Wed, Fri or Sun, Tues, Thurs. I'm currently up to session #23 (of 24 sessions in total), so approximately 2 months. I've put on 6-7 kg in this time. I'm taking protein 3 - 4 times per day, 1.5 scoops each. Creatine 20-30 mins before workout, combined with one serving of maltodextrin based carbs to aid absorption (according to the tub anyways......)

Questions:

1. Am I going OK for 6 - 7 kg in ~2 months? I'm currently ~80kg, looking to put on a further 5kg (to 85kg>). Too much weight, not enough, just right?
2. I'm deadlifting 100kg now (inc. the bar)... Is it best to invest in a weight belt before I advance with more weight?
3. Even with squats (85kg), bench presses (60kg) and deadlifts, I'm beginning to strain myself a fair bit. Is this "plateau" normal?
4. Any improvements to the above? I'd like to mix it up a little more... I've been thinking of throwing in Bicep curls, triceps etc every so often. Any other exercise suggestions would be appreciated. Looking to build my chest, shoulders more. Some leg work probably wouldn't hurt either (for my cycling endurance). I need assistance with properly distributing the workouts efficiently such that my muscles have sufficient time to repair.

I will no doubt think of more later!