Get the girls with our special weight-loss dieting techniques

Steve-0

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If you were aiming to lose fat and gain muscle at the same time, I'd drop cardio completely, lift heavy and eat alot of protein (2g/lb). Aim for a 200-300 calorie deficit. Lose no more then 200-500g a week. I did this and it worked but it took me like 6 months to lose 15kg.

But the quickest way is to lift heavy compounds, cardio as much as possible and aim to lose 1kg a week on a ~500calorie deficit. Get to required size and then build back up.

Have a read of this:
http://ausbb.com/nutrition-diet/16973-gaining-muscle-while-dropping-fat.html

"Max Brenner" on AUSBB is very knowledgeable when it comes to nutrition.

p.s. Squatted 100kg 3x5 today. Sweeeeet

Last edited:

chris95

Likes Dirt
Hey guys, Ive just bought some creatine to try up the lifts a little in the gym. Just wondering how you guys take it and when to take it to see effects.

Cheers Chris

Steve-0

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey guys, Ive just bought some creatine to try up the lifts a little in the gym. Just wondering how you guys take it and when to take it to see effects.

Cheers Chris
Take it whenever you want. Then keep taking it daily for as long as you want. Personally I have to split my dosage into 2-3 servings a day otherwise I get an upset stomach and headaches. Either way it doesn't matter. Graph related. Oh, make sure you drink heaps of water! You'll need to keep ontop of hydration for creatine to be usefull. After a long break I usually feel the differences after 3-4 days but since I'm taking it all the time, I don't really notice it. Does help.

madridingengineer

Likes Dirt
Take it whenever you want. Then keep taking it daily for as long as you want. Personally I have to split my dosage into 2-3 servings a day otherwise I get an upset stomach and headaches. Either way it doesn't matter. Graph related. Oh, make sure you drink heaps of water! You'll need to keep ontop of hydration for creatine to be usefull. After a long break I usually feel the differences after 3-4 days but since I'm taking it all the time, I don't really notice it. Does help.

Really?
Ive never really used creatine before- never really thought about it, but asked a couple of the guys that are very nutrition savvy this morning before about it(Ones a nutritionist turned paramedic).

They reckon its good stuff aslong as it is used properly, with loading/maintenance cycles etc.

The reason for this is due to it being a naturally produced in the body, then if you go start adding heaps extra from powders etc if you keep it up too long (depends on the person-size, shape, build) then the body slows down its production of creatine becasue it 'thinks' it allready has enough in the system to not need to make more.

This can be where problems occur because if keep loading the creatine in to the body it can permanently slow/reduce the production of creatine. Which becomes a problem when you stop taking the supplements.

So they reckon that using a well thought out loading/maintenance cycle keeps the levels of creatine in your system higher than normal but the maintaince cycles (lower dosage) keep the body from slowing the production of its own creatine.

Hope that makes sense.....its all very new to me too, but the info comes from some switched on guys.
---------------------------

Side note.

Anyone competing in this years Crossfit Games? 5 weeks of WOD's

Last Week, 7min AMRAP(as many rounds/reps as possible) of Burpees jumping to a two handed touch of a target 6inch above max reach.

First try - 111
Second try- 113 (Lets never do that many Burpees again :D)

So that makes my 100 burpee time approx 5.50ish

Steve-0

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Really?
Hope that makes sense.....its all very new to me too, but the info comes from some switched on guys.
Interesting note, I'll have a search and see what I can find regarding long term affects. Was just pointing out that creatine "sensitivity" and loading/cycling is not neccesary for effectiveness, but long term effects I'm not sure.

Edit: There's no evidence of it causing long-term harm. It hasn't really been around long enough. Natural creatine production does decrease when supplementing it but returns to normal a couple of weeks after stopping the supplementation. If your taking an unusual amount all the time (i.e. loading 24/7) your kidneys will probably fail but with a small maintenance dosage, creatine is one of the safest and proven supplements available.

I suppose if you're worried about it you could cycle it, but until a decade long study is done, no-one knows. 12-24month stints are perfectly harmless.

So that makes my 100 burpee time approx 5.50ish
Holy shitballs.

Last edited:

madridingengineer

Likes Dirt
Edit: There's no evidence of it causing long-term harm. It hasn't really been around long enough. Natural creatine production does decrease when supplementing it but returns to normal a couple of weeks after stopping the supplementation. If your taking an unusual amount all the time (i.e. loading 24/7) your kidneys will probably fail but with a small maintenance dosage, creatine is one of the safest and proven supplements available.
Ahh ok. thanks mate good to know.

Holy shitballs.
Yeah ive only (1hr later) been able to shake the anaerobic cough just now. Worse than Fran!
quads and calves were on fire from that little extra jump they wanted.....
Some crazy russian dude got 161.. respect

Put together those vids from the weightlifting too for those interested.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EeCFIwf9J0&feature=youtu.be
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5W7DnKiZIs&feature=related

Cheers

Steve-0

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That's a good idea to have to hit something above on each burpee. It keeps the form strict. If the pushups were deep, 161 burpees in 7-mins is absolutely insane!

I'm about to diet back down to awesome BF levels (5-6 weeks) and I'll be doing my burpees a little different for mega lats :p I have a pullup bar in the back yard that's 2.3m to the bar and I'm 175cm. I'm going to do the burpees under the bar and on every jump, I'll do a pull up. I've done a set of 30 of these and it feels awesome but last time I did 100 burpees, my lats hurt for 3 days! With the added pullup... it's going to hurt.

Nice vids! Who's excited for London olympics? This time around I can watch the weightlifting and have an understanding of how strong they are haha.

EDIT: Just went back through ~20 pages and updated the leaderboard in my sig. Not much changed except My02's BEAST bench. There was still alot of great lifts but I need 1RM's for the table. Also noticed DJninjas awesome progress using SS. Top work dude! Keep that progress coming slow and steady.

Last edited:

@nDr3w

Likes Dirt
EDIT: Just went back through ~20 pages and updated the leaderboard in my sig. Not much changed except My02's BEAST bench. There was still alot of great lifts but I need 1RM's for the table. Also noticed DJninjas awesome progress using SS. Top work dude! Keep that progress coming slow and steady.
I'll update again in about 4kg time. Doubt I'll have any better 1rm's, but my power-weight maxes should be higher.

Joel O

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I just separated my shoulder a couple of weeks back so right now my aim is to do a single pushup and chinup by xmas, it'll be a long time before I'll be in a condition to have a crack at the leader board.

Prior to the injury I'd been having really good results with the kickboxing. Dropped two inches from my waist without any weight change and a massive increase in fitness. can't wait to get back into it!
quick update: Slowly getting there with the shoulder. I have full range of motion back but a massive lack of strength, particularly with pushing movements but this is slowly improving. I'm aiming to start easing back into the kickboxing in 6ish weeks (fingers crossed), but until then it's swimming laps every other day and 30 minutes skipping a day as well as the rehab exercises.

I want to start incorporating some strength work into my training once the shoulder has healed but will be limited to two days a week max before i start eating into recovery times. can something like starting strength be modified to be a two day a week program? or simply done only twice a week? obviously gains will be slower, but is that the main consequence, or is there more to it than that? obviously with the intention to complement the kickboxing, increasing size is not a priority, rather getting the most out of my body at a given size/weight.

jonozrx

Likes Dirt
Sorry about the delay - been flat out recently. Hopefully the link works, I've never used google docs before. Basic explanation - I build up volume for 5 weeks (go for new 5RM in wk 5) then back off volume and increase intensity for 4 weeks. All weights are planned in advance, loosely based on the madcow advanced 5x5 predictor thing. I adjust my low-volume weights if I hit a big PB in the 5th week.

All my weights from last time I ran this are still in there, but unfortunately in the second half of the program I got a bit slack with recording the assistance lifts. Some of the pink squares have my comments in them about missed lifts.

FYI - would usually do back squats on the 1st lower body day (Wednesday) but I was recovering from an injury, so did front squats instead.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AoX1ng3bUtMHdC1UbUdIaDJGNnhZOEwwTjE3UEk4VkE#gid=0

@nDr3w

Likes Dirt
Finally starting to see some strength come back. Deadlifted 170kg for 6 reps today, so happy.
Now if I can just get my squat and bench back up, I'll be stoked.

moto_guy

Banned
Finally starting to see some strength come back. Deadlifted 170kg for 6 reps today, so happy.
Now if I can just get my squat and bench back up, I'll be stoked.
Awesome work that's a fair bit! I tried DL's for the first time today and was doing 40kg plus bar pretty comfortably. Do you wear a belt when your lifting that much?

@nDr3w

Likes Dirt
Awesome work that's a fair bit! I tried DL's for the first time today and was doing 40kg plus bar pretty comfortably. Do you wear a belt when your lifting that much?
Thanks, dude. Yeah, rock a belt for anything over about 140. Never straps, though. I try to stay within the "raw" powerlifting rules as a guide.

Steve-0

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm going to watch the Arnold classic at 5AM tomorrow Here
...And then hit the gym and set some big PB's :smug: Dennis Wolf to win but still think this guy Mike Kefalianos looks way better.

Steve-0

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Branch Warren won the Arnold Classic, but IMO Dennis Wolf looked way better. Strongman stuff looked pretty hectic.

Todays mega gym sesh included a squat workout like: 100kg x5, 110kg x3 100kg x5 100kg x5! Definite progress. Also dead lifted 170kg alot easier then before.

I'm away for work all week again *sigh* but I'm going to try the 180kg dead lift next weekend. If I can pull 180kg @ <75.5 I will be so damn happy! lol.

@nDr3w

Likes Dirt
Branch Warren won the Arnold Classic, but IMO Dennis Wolf looked way better. Strongman stuff looked pretty hectic.

Todays mega gym sesh included a squat workout like: 100kg x5, 110kg x3 100kg x5 100kg x5! Definite progress. Also dead lifted 170kg alot easier then before.

I'm away for work all week again *sigh* but I'm going to try the 180kg dead lift next weekend. If I can pull 180kg @ <75.5 I will be so damn happy! lol.
Branch is the fuckin' man, though. Stoked for him. Gonna watch whatever of the Strongman stuff I can later, I heard Poundstone is no longer a typical fat lifter, but now some shredded Dragon Ball Z character. Or something.

Get stuck right into that dead! First time I pulled 4 plates I nearly creamed my pants, amazing feeling dude. Gonna go for 4-5 reps of 175 this week, see how that goes.