Giant 2017 range

BB1

Likes Dirt
Thanks mate, I'm not the only one crying into my beer then! The new ones do look good and are hard to beat in terms of bang for buck, but I wonder if the revamped Maestro setup will feel any different compared with the old setup? I'm thinking of selling my boat to fund a new bike, and if I do I'll be sure to ride as many different types and sizes as I possibly can before committing.
I agree, curious to see if it actually makes a difference I'd notice... I've been riding a few since I've sold the Trance. There's one I absolutely loved but it's the price of two trances...

I keep coming back to Giant though, unbeatable spec for the money and certainly capable. Especially when I found another bike from another manufacturer that I thought ticked all the boxes but turned out to be a dog! Rode nice but had linkage issues from day one. Lucky I was able to return it, made me realise that although Giant are common, they are also very good.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
I buy a bike to ride it, so yes, it is about the rider. I don't want to labour the point as we mostly agree, but people are different in limb and torso length. You are both suggesting 2 different people of same height will choose the same frame, and that assumption is wrong; where the saddle ends up forms part of the equation.
i think you've missed the point, neither of us are assuming anything, nor suggesting same height riders require the same bike. (they are usually similar though....)
duck is saying the seat angle is the same for a medium and a large, the only difference is the seat tube LENGTH, the rest of the changes are in front of the BB. the LBS was trying to get chewy onto a large as they mention he will be further over the rear wheel on a medium than the large, which is false.
Indeed. Going back to the first bit, yeah the saddle would likely need to be slid back slightly on a medium compared to a large to correct for the shorter top tube, but proportionally speaking it's actually a comparitively small tweak. If the dude said it's "too far behind the BB", he's probably using flawed logic - the "knee-over-pedal-spindle" (KOPS) protocol spouted almost everywhere is basically a load of shit, because it relates solely (and loosely at that) to femur length and ignores every other aspect of the rider's build. I'm not going to go any further than that, because it's beyond my range of expertise, but suffice to say, if the bike fits, ride it.

I'm in a similar boat to Chewi; based on height alone I'm in the overlap range between medium and large, and have long legs for height. Standover height and - importantly - clearance was OK on a large frame, but I simply didn't like the reach, so I ride a medium. Someone else the same height with different proportions may have a different idea of what's right for them.

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
I agree, curious to see if it actually makes a difference I'd notice... I've been riding a few since I've sold the Trance. There's one I absolutely loved but it's the price of two trances...

I keep coming back to Giant though, unbeatable spec for the money and certainly capable. Especially when I found another bike from another manufacturer that I thought ticked all the boxes but turned out to be a dog! Rode nice but had linkage issues from day one. Lucky I was able to return it, made me realise that although Giant are common, they are also very good.
I have to say my thinking runs the same way. I could have got a more "boutique" frame but couldn't seem to find anything with the same quality level of componentry (Full xt+ Factory suspension) with a carbon frame/ wheelset for the price. 3 weeks to go...

Last edited:
Z

Zaf

Looked seriously at the Strive. But it's still 6K vs my 4.5K. The alloy Strive was closer. And some of us have to actually stick to a budget when buying bikes :Cry:
Oh I have no idea how to do that. I come in with great intentions of sticking to a budget then always find a point to where I go "it's only money, I can make more" and start throwing it around.

DMan

Oh I have no idea how to do that. I come in with great intentions of sticking to a budget then always find a point to where I go "it's only money, I can make more" and start throwing it around.
I did! That got me from my firm budget allotted for the 16 Trance to "the just a liiiiittttle extra more" for the 17.....

DMan

There's always a silver lining. The extra cash might get to used for a weekend of riding goodness in Queenstown in Dec though....

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

BB1

Likes Dirt
There's always a silver lining. The extra cash might get to used for a weekend of riding goodness in Queenstown in Dec though....

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Ah, now you're talking! No point having a sweet ride unless you get to use it. My Trance did the TransNZ and then a day of shuttles in Queenstown, so it can handle it. Highly recommend Coronet Peak, that's the best day of riding I've ever done. Finish with Corotown!

DMan

Ah, now you're talking! No point having a sweet ride unless you get to use it. My Trance did the TransNZ and then a day of shuttles in Queenstown, so it can handle it. Highly recommend Coronet Peak, that's the best day of riding I've ever done. Finish with Corotown!
Yep. 5 days of self-indulgent fun...
Awesome! That's good news. I was tossing up between the Reign and the Trance because of my concerns about how the Trance would handle the rough stuff so i'm glad to hear it held up!!

BB1

Likes Dirt
Yep. 5 days of self-indulgent fun...
Awesome! That's good news. I was tossing up between the Reign and the Trance because of my concerns about how the Trance would handle the rough stuff so i'm glad to hear it held up!!
Yes, it was self indulgent, and the then pregnant wife still hasn't forgiven me, but damn it was good! I have to say for something like that the Reign would have been a better race bike, but I think I would have been knackered on the liaisons. And the Reign is overkill for my local trails.

You're talking me into a new Trance

DMan

Yes, it was self indulgent, and the then pregnant wife still hasn't forgiven me, but damn it was good! I have to say for something like that the Reign would have been a better race bike, but I think I would have been knackered on the liaisons. And the Reign is overkill for my local trails.

You're talking me into a new Trance
Too much for my trails too. Plus I like to climb.
Didn't take anything to persuade myself to wait for the 17 with the little extras it came with....

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
I reckon people that like to climb should ride slacker bikes.... makes the climbing more enjoyable!?