Giant 2017 range

Minlak

custom titis
I saw some of the New Giants in the flesh yesterday and in my opinion they have nailed the colors and overall look of the bikes. I am yet to see a picture that dose them the justice of a look in the flesh.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
They're not in Aus yet; still maybe 6-8 weeks from landing (got one on backorder for the workshop).

The Tank is good if you already have a track pump, because it doesn't have an integrated one like the Bontrager version. Obviously it's less good if you don't already have a track pump, 'cos you'd need to buy one of them too.

Last edited:

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I took the 2016 advanced and 1 out for a spin a few weeks back. Just debating whether to take the run out deal or buy 2017..
As mentioned earlier I am right in the med/large size grey area. I'm 182 but legs are on the shorter side.
The medium felt fine but if I shortened the stem anymore it would be getting tight. The large felt nice and monster trucky but the dropper was 125mm+ and I doubt I could get it down lower enough in the frame without it extending too high..
I currently ride a medium trance 2013, it has the seat back as far as possible + 100mm stem.. It feels very comfy but I wouldn't want the bike any smaller.. I have always had an issue with feeling like I am going otb when things get steep.. I had 2011 and went otbs so many times I broke 2 helmets. Dunno if it's just riding too fast for ability or the medium had my weight centered too far forward? Lowering the stem helped a bit..
Dropper has solved it but shouldn't have to use it as soon as trail points downwards a little.
Anyone else in this 'grey' zone? Bike shop says medium, it's smaller and snapier etc etc. I'm not convinced. I really like giants and they have looked after me warranty wise really well, but the sizing is putting me off.

Last edited:

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Duckman can chime in with more, my quick observation is the droppers are now zero offset and top tubes a tad longer, so more a shift forward. Without knowing your inseam I'd be thinking large for you.

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
About the same here but 175, fwiw I'm contemplating a large as current 2015 med trance feels cramped with a shortish stem so looking forward to a test ride.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
New ones have longer top tubes, but shorter stems than last year, so saddle position being equal, the bars are in about the same place, but there's more frame & less stem in between...

I'm in that grey zone as well, around 177, but opposite proportions, long legs & short torso. I'm at the top end of seat hight on my medium, so can easily fit a large in that regard, but I don't like the reach. I have a large Anthem & medium Trance in the demo fleet at work; sat on both of them and feel comfy enough, but haven't had a chance to get them out on the trails yet. Soon though.

CHEWY

Eats Squid
I ended up taking the medium back without riding it and swapping for a large. I still think I could have bought either at 178cm but I'm glad I went with the large. I've put a 40mm stem on and the length when seated feels good.
Coming off a medium 09 Trance there is no contest, this bike is better in every way, especially climbing with the longer length.

herbman

Likes Dirt
A coil on a reign is gravy. Am loving mine at the moe.

It does seem a little sad that they are not bring any of the SX lines in.

I could happily see a SX anthem as a second bike to my reign. Or third if you could the unrideable 26" steel hardtail.

BB1

Likes Dirt
I took the 2016 advanced and 1 out for a spin a few weeks back. Just debating whether to take the run out deal or buy 2017..
As mentioned earlier I am right in the med/large size grey area. I'm 182 but legs are on the shorter side.
The medium felt fine but if I shortened the stem anymore it would be getting tight. The large felt nice and monster trucky but the dropper was 125mm+ and I doubt I could get it down lower enough in the frame without it extending too high..
I currently ride a medium trance 2013, it has the seat back as far as possible + 100mm stem.. It feels very comfy but I wouldn't want the bike any smaller.. I have always had an issue with feeling like I am going otb when things get steep.. I had 2011 and went otbs so many times I broke 2 helmets. Dunno if it's just riding too fast for ability or the medium had my weight centered too far forward? Lowering the stem helped a bit..
Dropper has solved it but shouldn't have to use it as soon as trail points downwards a little.
Anyone else in this 'grey' zone? Bike shop says medium, it's smaller and snapier etc etc. I'm not convinced. I really like giants and they have looked after me warranty wise really well, but the sizing is putting me off.
Well, I was in the same boat, ended up with a 2016 as couldn't beat the spec on the runout price. The 17's do look awfully good though.

As for sizing, I'm 186cm and had a 2015 in large, sold it for the 2016 in XL. I think it's worth sizing up in these rather than down.

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks BB1, if I can get the dropper down low enough I am tending towards the large. Wonder if the lbs will swap the dropper over for 100mm.. If not I might have to have a look at the Treks, they offer a M/L.

BB1

Likes Dirt
I'm sure they will... The large are meant to have 150mm drop I think. While I was there they were swapping one over for a customer, I'm sure if you asked nice they'd play along.

Funny you mention Trek, the Fuel was the other bike I was keen on but couldn't get carbon for the same money. Both are damn fine bikes!