Giant Anthem X 29er - See first post for info

victor h

Likes Bikes
New here, but just got news that we can expect the bikes from the first order in NZ week 41 or 42........whoooohooooo, thats close man.

*stew*

Squid
still waiting....

Jubas, your wait must seem like an eternity. Did GIANT provide a replacement ride in the meantime?

The longer this saga drags on, the worse it is for GIANT. They've handled the recall as good as anybody - and kudos to them - but it just means that the next 6 months of sales are pretty much lost as they struggle to replace all the defective frames. And just on that point, does GIANT send the frames back to Asia to be re-welded, or do they just build a new (hopefully compliant) frame?

I was super keen on this a few months back, but given the surge in the AUD$, and the new 29ers being released, I might just hold out for the new Salsa Spearfish. At the very least, I'll save quite a few $$$ and be able to re-use all of the parts off my XTC 29er. 'Win win' I say and I can still build up the HT 29er with spares.

skinya

Likes Dirt
waiting

You could be waiting for a spearfish also as no firm dates have been set for release.
Salsa site says late december but thats u.s not oz.waiting waitin waitzzzzzzzzzzzz:
GIVE US OUR BIKES ALREADY!!!!!:p

wingy

Likes Dirt
Jubas, your wait must seem like an eternity. Did GIANT provide a replacement ride in the meantime?

The longer this saga drags on, the worse it is for GIANT. They've handled the recall as good as anybody - and kudos to them - but it just means that the next 6 months of sales are pretty much lost as they struggle to replace all the defective frames. And just on that point, does GIANT send the frames back to Asia to be re-welded, or do they just build a new (hopefully compliant) frame?

I was super keen on this a few months back, but given the surge in the AUD$, and the new 29ers being released, I might just hold out for the new Salsa Spearfish. At the very least, I'll save quite a few $$$ and be able to re-use all of the parts off my XTC 29er. 'Win win' I say and I can still build up the HT 29er with spares.
The frames are new production run units. The frames will be built up as soon as they land and clear customs.
While the recall has been a bummer for everyone waiting for a bike, it is much better than getting an inferior product, having it fail and then having to argue with the manufacturer over whether it is a warranty or not. I think those people patient enough to wait it out while the new bikes arrive will be well rewarded.

Mal01

Likes Dirt
Just got a call, replacement frames due to arrive at my LBS (Civic) in Canberra next week so I'm told. Maybe, just maybe, built up in time for the Scott...

iscarrr

Likes Dirt
Did a few laps at Appin (techy XC track near wgong) last night, 1 in the dark with lights. And holy shit, the bike is a weapon. I couldn't wipe the smile of my face. :cool: I kept riding away from my mates, i just didnt want to slow down.

Yeah ok I've come from a 26in 10kg hardtail, so just going to a 4inch bike was always going to be a nice improvement, but i tell you what, that plus the bigger wheels rolling over stuff easier.. most fun i've had on a bike in a long long time. For the most part i had propedal turned off and i found it to be great. Smoothing out all the little stuff, handing the big hits, as close to perfect as i can imagine. Previous ride i did some big hills on the road/firetrail, and had propedal on for that, felt just like a hardtail.

Anyway back to yesterday arvo's ride:

-A number of times when i was out of the saddle going down steep sections, i definitely didn't feel as high up and perched as i usually have in the past on my 26inch hardtail. So much so that i kept checking the seat height, it was an unusual but good feeling.
-Really liking the ratios of the new xt dynasis. Having a 36 tooth on the back gives you a lot of flexibility.

I'm by no means a pro reviewer, and obviously can only compare to my previous bike. But if anyone has any questions ill do my best to answer them.

I'll also be at the scott24 next weekend, so if you see a tall skinny dude on a big shiny chrome 29er say hi ;)

Jubas

Likes Dirt

Yeah, I'm going a little crazy over here haha. Giant didn't provide a replacement bike which is fine - I didn't get the bike and then have it recalled. The commercials of providing bikes to people still on waiting lists (which is technically me) don't make sense.

What does annoy me a bit is Giant's lack of dialogue about what's going on. For a week or two, that's fine, but the longer this situation drags on, the worse they look by not commenting. They should have a pretty good idea of production cycle lead times and when bikes will be delivered. To just keep on changing the delivery week is shocking.

iscarr - thanks for the review mate. Sounds good!

So it looks like Canberra are getting theirs next week? :)

I've also been told my frame will be at the dealer (Spearmans Wollongong) for build on Thurs and ready to race on Saturday.

I've actually gotten quite fond of the replacement Anthem X1 and was prepared for the 24 on it anyway so either way it's all good.

Knopey

Likes Dirt
Yes indeed my sob story and showing a mild amount of forlorn frustration at not being able to buy "my dream bike" did work. Insurance came to the party in a great way too.

So a deal too good to refuse had me plonk down an order on an XL this morning that's due Week 51. They couldn't help with the timeframe but the deal is "not bad" :) Yay! Will be abusing a borrowed Kona HT meanwhile - life could be worse :)

On a related note, I have HEAPS of time to plan and organise upgrades to the tune of around $1500. I'm thinking:
- a set of wheels from TWE makes sense? I know wheels have been done to death elsewhere on RB though...
- ... There are no other obvious bottlenecks with the spec, are there? I can't notice anything but I am not across some of the most arcane differences in some of the nuts and bolts.

Jubas

Likes Dirt
Yes indeed my sob story and showing a mild amount of forlorn frustration at not being able to buy "my dream bike" did work. Insurance came to the party in a great way too.

So a deal too good to refuse had me plonk down an order on an XL this morning that's due Week 51. They couldn't help with the timeframe but the deal is "not bad" :) Yay! Will be abusing a borrowed Kona HT meanwhile - life could be worse :)

On a related note, I have HEAPS of time to plan and organise upgrades to the tune of around $1500. I'm thinking:
- a set of wheels from TWE makes sense? I know wheels have been done to death elsewhere on RB though...
- ... There are no other obvious bottlenecks with the spec, are there? I can't notice anything but I am not across some of the most arcane differences in some of the nuts and bolts.
I'm going to head down the wheels route first, and then look at some cockpit options - carbonise everything etc

Maybe move to a 2x10 setup when the double crankset gets released at the XT level

That's IF I EVER GET MY BIKE haha. I'm toying with picking up an epic carbon comp for $4500 which is a $1k premium over the anthem, so if i can hold on, then i'll drop the $1k on a set of wheels/cockpit instead :)

Knopey

Likes Dirt
That's precisely what my conundrum was regarding the Spesh Epic Comp Carbon. I was wavering and would probably have got that (in two weeks), but then got offered the deal on the Anthem and it blew it away. Money talks, and carbon? meh :)

Cheers for the suggestion. The 2X10 on the Epic was a plus, will keep it in mind.

Jubas

Likes Dirt
That's precisely what my conundrum was regarding the Spesh Epic Comp Carbon. I was wavering and would probably have got that (in two weeks), but then got offered the deal on the Anthem and it blew it away. Money talks, and carbon? meh :)

Cheers for the suggestion. The 2X10 on the Epic was a plus, will keep it in mind.
I think the carbon would be interesting - as others have pointed out, there's so much more to it than just weight. But, to be honest, the Anthem is still at such a better price point, it's hard to justify. We could always pick up a carbon frame in the future and port across the parts from the Anthem - i'm not crash hot on some of the proprietry technology on the specialized bikes these days..

tomacropod

Likes Dirt
Does anyone else think it's slightly bizarre that everyone loves the pricepoint of this bike, yet almost every buyer has a list of upgrades they want to make straight out of the box? It kind of takes away some of the economy...

- Joel

leftieant

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'd be interested to know if the upgradeitis relates to the pricepoint - so cheap that it frees up funds for flashy bits.

For me, when I finally get my hands on it, all I'll be looking for is some carbon bars and maybe a custom set of wheels (prob twe). The rest will be spot on!

Bodin

GMBC
Does anyone else think it's slightly bizarre that everyone loves the pricepoint of this bike, yet almost every buyer has a list of upgrades they want to make straight out of the box? It kind of takes away some of the economy...

- Joel
I reckon it's the 29er demographic - mostly older guys who probably like to tinker with stuff in general and have a bit more cash than your average student/apprentice. The demographic is definitely changing to a much broader appeal, but I would still suggest the VAST majority of 29er riders would be 30+ professional males.

On the whole though, I get your point - I'd still buy the bike if it cost a thousand bucks more and came with wheels and brakes that I didn't want to upgrade. What IS with speccing a complete XT drivetrain and NOT completing the group with the matching (and bloody good) XT brakes?!? Smacks of clearing out the warehouse...

Clyde Dave

Likes Dirt
Still riding mine and loving it!!
All the running gear is awesome, including the wheels.
The only part I am sceptical about is the frame.
The usual stone hit frame noise is now alot louder than normal.
Only been a few weeks and is already creaking.
Hopefully won't be an isssue but will keep updating.
Also a slight clicking sound. Told the LBS about it for first service but still there. Not sure what it is but will investigate.

Last edited:

Jubas

Likes Dirt
I'd be interested to know if the upgradeitis relates to the pricepoint - so cheap that it frees up funds for flashy bits.

For me, when I finally get my hands on it, all I'll be looking for is some carbon bars and maybe a custom set of wheels (prob twe). The rest will be spot on!
Yep - That's pretty much it for me.. lower pricepoint is an excellent opportunity for upgrading. I'll go the wheelset first so i've got a training set that i can use onroad when i can't make it out to the trails. The carbon stuff i'll look for on special etc (except maybe the bar for dampening effects).

Still riding mine and loving it!!
All the running gear is awesome, including the wheels.
The only part I am sceptical about is the frame.
The usual stone hit frame noise is now alot louder than normal.
Only been a few weeks and is already creaking.
Hopefully won't be an isssue but will keep updating.
Also a slight clicking sound. Told the LBS about it for first service but still there. Not sure what it is but will investigate.
lol - that doesn't sound great! Is the clicking sound BB related perhaps?

skinya

Likes Dirt
very nice

Dave checked out your anthem other day at spearmans, looks much nicer than in pics.
Hope you you dont mind ,swung a leg over to check size. Good thing i ordered large ,xl a litttle too big.I,m still waiting for mine.:cool: