Giant Anthem X 29er - See first post for info

Rick_B

Likes Bikes
Anyone know of a shop in or around Brisbane that will stock the Bontrager Rhythm 29er strips and valve stems? Would like to convert my Velocity Blunt wheelset, and I've read the conversion is most successful with the Bontrager parts.

Can't believe this thread has reached 120 pages!

Cheers.

tzkev

Likes Bikes
Anyone know of a shop in or around Brisbane that will stock the Bontrager Rhythm 29er strips and valve stems? Would like to convert my Velocity Blunt wheelset, and I've read the conversion is most successful with the Bontrager parts.

Cheers.
Why not use Gorilla tape and just buy a valve from your lbs.

notime

Likes Dirt

Cheers.
Velocity does it's own rim tape and valves (blue tape). kit is cheaper than Bontrager parts and any bike shop can order Velocity kit.

krisko

Likes Dirt
Velocity does it's own rim tape and valves (blue tape). kit is cheaper than Bontrager parts and any bike shop can order Velocity kit.
and
Why not use Gorilla tape and just buy a valve from your lbs.
Because nothing compares to the Bontrager conversion as its semi permanent! When you change a tyre with any tape the likeliness of the tape peeling as the rim comes off the bead is high meaning you have to remove the tape and reapply. The Bontrager strip simply doesn't budge and the valves seal extremely well into the plastic rim strip.

The plastic rim strip stretches to fit and snaps into place. It also weighs all of 20 grams. Its a win/win. No fumbling around everytime you change a tyre, no risks off remounting a tyre, applying sealant and airing up only to find air is leaking through the spoke holes!

You simply can not go wrong with this conversion. I've used the Bontrager strips in Giant PX2 rims, American Classic's and now on my Stans Crest wheels. Oh and they are reusable and easy to reapply, unlike the Stans rubber strips or air bubbles in the tape.
Lucky Nino titanium cassette
My advice would be to stay clear of the lucky Nino titanium cassette the rings are so narrow that they bend, I learned the hard way as three rings on the cassette bent on the first ride! Maybe upgrade to a XTR save a bit of weight but have a bike that shifts well

Last edited:

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
if you prepare with Gorilla tape and put in a tube and pump up to 60psi for 24 hours (and) then convert to tubeless (so Gorilla tape is embedded on inner rim), Gorilla tape is semi permanent and tubeless tyres can be reused without tape coming off. The strips look good however especially for applications where rim/tyre and not fully compatible.

wingy

Likes Dirt

Cheers.
Cyc'd has them. I installed mine a couple of weeks ago. Too easy.

Anthem_Pete

Likes Bikes
Aparently for 2012 there will be 2 Carbon Models and I think 2 or 3 alloys just like the anthem 26 range. We might be seeing a mix of sram and shimano like the US has so more of a global standardisation. Can't wait to see the range of all of them.

Cheers

Jubas

Likes Dirt
I'll be interested to see what (if any) modifications are made to the alloy versions. Will also be interested to see whether they bring out a trance this year!

ray

Likes Bikes
Anyone else's Crossmarks wearing through the sidewall?...my rear tyre blew throught the sidewall last sunday, having a look, it's all worn through, both sides, the front is the same...no idea what's causing it, it's wearing through just below the line of the tread, both tyres, both sides of each tyre, it's wearing through on the whole circumfrence of tthe tyres, bikes only 3 months old!

cheers,

Ray

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
Anyone else's Crossmarks wearing through the sidewall?...my rear tyre blew throught the sidewall last sunday, having a look, it's all worn through, both sides, the front is the same...no idea what's causing it, it's wearing through just below the line of the tread, both tyres, both sides of each tyre, it's wearing through on the whole circumfrence of tthe tyres, bikes only 3 months old!
Photos?

Sounds like tread delamination.....what pressures are you running?

Just as an aside....had my first AX29 breakage today. One of the spoke nipples in the rear wheel sheared right through.....now where do you suppose I'm going to get another blue one? :rolleyes: Of course it took the spoke out with it as well...

Oh and those poxy stickers on the rims just have to go too.

notime

Likes Dirt

cheers,

Ray
Yeah mine did the same thing, not just the AX29 fitted crossmarks but shop ones I bought for my other bike. I run them tubless rear only on my singlespeed at around 30-35psi. I replaced them with Spec Control tyres on the AX29 and the sidewalls are still perfect.

Anthem_Pete

Likes Bikes

cheers,

Ray
I know this may sound dumb but are they Tubeless ro standard tyres?? I,ve had this on leighwieght standard aspens but never on anTubeless crossmark>:confused:

ray

Likes Bikes
They are standard tyres, with 40psi in them, went to a large bike shop on the Northern Beaches last night ( where i bought 2 x anthems three months ago ), got very helpful advice in their maintenance area, directed into a guy in the shop who was as helpful as a third armpit...." we'll ask the maxxis rep when he's next in and see what he says"...kinda obvious if you look at the tyres, and leaves me with no tyres on the bike for a couple of weeks...but he did suggest i buy new tyres...to which i just walked out.
Thing is, i specifically went into the maintenance area first, as they always help...and avoided the shop, as they always want to sell something...and that's exactly what happened..

will wait until the rep gets in and see what he comes up with, and order some tyres from elsewhere in the meantime.

Ray,

tegski

Likes Dirt
They are standard tyres, with 40psi in them, went to a large bike shop on the Northern Beaches last night ( where i bought 2 x anthems three months ago ), got very helpful advice in their maintenance area, directed into a guy in the shop who was as helpful as a third armpit...." we'll ask the maxxis rep when he's next in and see what he says"...kinda obvious if you look at the tyres, and leaves me with no tyres on the bike for a couple of weeks...but he did suggest i buy new tyres...to which i just walked out.
Thing is, i specifically went into the maintenance area first, as they always help...and avoided the shop, as they always want to sell something...and that's exactly what happened..

will wait until the rep gets in and see what he comes up with, and order some tyres from elsewhere in the meantime.

Ray,
My suggestion is to find the guy that sold you the two Anthems and ask him/her…they should be more inclined to help. If not…what are you doing in that shop…?

At least they could offer a red hot price on the tyres whilst the rep is contacted. Pretty ordinary sales staff and response for a good customer.

ray

Likes Bikes
My suggestion is to find the guy that sold you the two Anthems and ask him/her…they should be more inclined to help. If not…what are you doing in that shop…?

At least they could offer a red hot price on the tyres whilst the rep is contacted. Pretty ordinary sales staff and response for a good customer.
Well,

the upshot is..a new set of Crossmarks from Maxxis, the rep says they've never seen that happen before, so have taken them off for 'testing'...anyway, well done to Maxxis for replacing them.
I did see the guy i bought the bikes off when i went in, it was him who was asking what i'd been doing to the tyres, regardless, anyone behing the counter can see my purchase history with them, 1 x Reign 0, 2 x Anthems plus every part in between, so as you say, would have been a better response to offer a great deal on the tyres while the others were off being 'tested'.

in the end, a good result..

Dictatorsaurus

Likes Bikes
The Crossmark I bought online weighed 650 grams. The Crossmarks that came stock on the AX29 weighed 550 grams each. The stock Anthem Crossmark are thinner and lighter than the aftermarket ones so they are definitely not the same.

tomacropod

Likes Dirt
The Crossmark I bought online weighed 650 grams. The Crossmarks that came stock on the AX29 weighed 550 grams each. The stock Anthem Crossmark are thinner and lighter than the aftermarket ones so they are definitely not the same.
There'll be three types of folding Crossmark. The lightest, eXception series 120tpi, then the regular sidewall, folding bead 60tpi, then the UST version, which should be the heaviest. In my experience the 60tpi Maxxis tyres tubeless OK, the eXception series tyres best for use with tubes. The 60tpi are usually the cheapest too.

- Joel