Giant Anthem X 29er - See first post for info

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
I've been oohing and aahing over a cannondale scalpel 3 at my lbs. Looking at the spec vs price its not worth spending the extra over my current anthem x29 1.
So instead I'm thinking of a bling build on the anthem.

What I'd like to know is whether you can change out the stupid 1 1/4" top headset cup for something lefty friendly (1.5, or 1 1/8 with a project 321 adapter)
Also has anyone stripped an anthem frame? Do they look good under the paint?
Cheers Ben
I believe a standard 1 1/8 top bearing will go in as the outer shell size of the head tube is the same.
What Lefty are you thinking?

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
My 2013 advanced 1 has lost a bit of weight with a change to my ness carbon wheels and Easton EC70 flat carbon bars with Esi foams grips. I'm not sold on the Tundra 2 saddle either, so I'm trying the SLR on it. It's a little rounder and more contoured compared to the flat and square Tundra2.
Now sitting at 10.98kg, a loss of a bit over 900grams.

I've also been playing with pressures in the shock. I now have settled on about 30% sag which gives quite a plush ride. It bobs a little on the road but this just fades away on the trail. It doesn't really bob under power, its more just with movement of body weight.

Last edited:

singletracking

Cannon Fodder
On another note, I am getting the Anthem Advanced 1 soon and it comes with the p-xcr 1 wheel set. From all reports they are not such a bad wheel set and not too heavy. I think they come in around the 1750 gram mark. The rear hub has an 18 point engagement which could be better. I see the 0 model comes with carbon rims and hubs that have a 36 point engagement.
So putting 2 and 2 together and coming up with 87 I thought I would ask the question if the 0's hubs internals or free hub body would go onto the p-xcr 1 hub. Giant says no they will not change over as they are different hubs.
Does anyone know another way? DT Swiss free hub or internals maybe? If so,what model?
I have the P-xcr-1 wheels and read on a US forum that you could install the DT Star Ratchet SL 36 into them. I took the punt and ordered a set, which I installed this week. It was a piece of cake to swap them and they ride fine, from an initial test ride.

I'm going to ride a lap of Lysterfield tomorrow for a proper test.

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
I have the P-xcr-1 wheels and read on a US forum that you could install the DT Star Ratchet SL 36 into them. I took the punt and ordered a set, which I installed this week. It was a piece of cake to swap them and they ride fine, from an initial test ride.

I'm going to ride a lap of Lysterfield tomorrow for a proper test.
I did the same and it works great. Cheap upgrade.
They are a good set of wheels. I have set them up tubeless with the supplied rim strips. I weighed them at 1770grams for the pair without rim strips but with the factory rim tape.
They are now on my xtc composite with 2.2 race kings.

Last edited:

singletracking

Cannon Fodder

s14

Squid
I just put a giant contact dropper on my anthem and did a couple rides with it on (lake parra, appin, manly dam).

I didn't notice the weight difference, I was just as capable without one but found that with the dropper on, the rides were a lot more fun.

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I did the same and it works great. Cheap upgrade.
They are a good set of wheels. I have set them up tubeless with the supplied rim strips. I weighed them at 1770grams for the pair without rim strips but with the factory rim tape.
They are now on my xtc composite with 2.2 race kings.
does this upgrade (DT Star Ratchet SL 36) make the hub noisy - like a hope hub? had a few near misses lately and a bit of clicking would be good to alert other users.

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
does this upgrade (DT Star Ratchet SL 36) make the hub noisy - like a hope hub? had a few near misses lately and a bit of clicking would be good to alert other users.
Yes it does. It has a nice buzz, if you like that sort of thing. More CK than Hope. Not stupid loud though.
Loud hubs save lives.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Has anybody put a "dropper" seatpost on their Anthem?
I've had one on for around a year with the 2012 frame (no cable routing) - now i've got the 2013 frame with routing, but i've stuck the dropper on the specialized camber - hows that for irony. i raced with the dropper, pretty damn useful to drop the seatpost for long descents, like from the top of stromlo

danha

Squid
Bought an Anthem X 29er 1 in January, this thread was a huge help. Thanks to all who posted here.

Phenomenal bike for the money, regularly get stopped on the trails by people wanting to ask about it and have since seen two guys I spoke to riding their brand new ones.

About the only thing that I would change from factory spec is the brakes, would prefer SLX or XT rather than the Juicy 5's, and i'm still trying to get my suspension dialed in. Swapped the front Racing Ralph for a Nobby Nic too for some more front end bite, works well.

---------

Finished second in What Mountain Bike trail bike of the year as well
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXhR9j1Hjo8

Last edited:

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
Is anyone else having problems with their Rock Shox RL rear shock loosing pressure?
I have a 2013 Anthem Advanced 1 and it has been inconsistent from day one. At first I thought it was just me being picky or just not sure of my set up. I would set the sag and test ride it and be happy. Then a couple of days later it would seem soft. Sometimes it would be fine for weeks but last week I set the sag and the next day it had lost about 70psi. So I took it back to the shop I bought it from and they sent it in for warranty repairs.
What I was told is there is now some updated o-ring seal to fix this issue. Sorry but I have no details though.
Thanks to Cycle House in Greensborough for a super fast turn around. I had the bike back in about 4 days.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Interesting, first I've heard of that one. I've got a demo Advanced 1 at work, I'll have a play with the shock over the next few days & see what it does. Ta for the heads-up. :smile:

Giant owe me a new frame - haha

2012 model and don't ask me how - no stacks other than minor offs....stuff happens. I am meant to be running the Convict this weekend.....

IMG_0253.JPG

I've managed a loaner for the Convict. Will have fun on a Trek Remedy AM thanks to a good mate.
I don't count kms of usage but the bike is 15 months old and I'm not a MTB hardcore so interesting frame failure.

Giant (via LBS) are all good about it but I just don't expect it back before Convict.

notime

Likes Dirt
I've managed a loaner for the Convict. Will have fun on a Trek Remedy AM thanks to a good mate.
I don't count kms of usage but the bike is 15 months old and I'm not a MTB hardcore so interesting frame failure.

Giant (via LBS) are all good about it but I just don't expect it back before Convict.
You might be lucky and get it this week, first one I had turned around the same day (same TT, ST crack) and the last one took 2 weeks (shock mount to ST crack)

Rear shock

I had the same problem with my anthem, sent it back for warranty. I think they put a seal kit in it,it is fine now.cheers

QUOTE=pistonbroke;2662319]Is anyone else having problems with their Rock Shox RL rear shock loosing pressure?
I have a 2013 Anthem Advanced 1 and it has been inconsistent from day one. At first I thought it was just me being picky or just not sure of my set up. I would set the sag and test ride it and be happy. Then a couple of days later it would seem soft. Sometimes it would be fine for weeks but last week I set the sag and the next day it had lost about 70psi. So I took it back to the shop I bought it from and they sent it in for warranty repairs.
What I was told is there is now some updated o-ring seal to fix this issue. Sorry but I have no details though.
Thanks to Cycle House in Greensborough for a super fast turn around. I had the bike back in about 4 days.[/QUOTE]

Creaky frame

I have had a mad creak in my bike since new,been driving me crackers to the point of thinking of getting rid of bike.
Of course I looked for the complicated problems, changed the BB, stripped and greased every pivot but to no avail. Finally took someone's advice(who would have thought) and tightened the rear wheel skewer!
Creeks seem to have disappeared,pretty pleased but feel like a tit as well.