Gravey more than just tomato sauce as special ingredient, Rude a bit rich with his explanation.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
I don't know much about pro MTB salaries, but I imagine they are relatively low.
They certainly wouldn't be banking huge amounts of cash!

Free travel and accommodation all over the globe to ride your bike, that's a good lifestyle
yeah, only the Gwins and similar level riders would be earning decent money from their contracts and endorsements, I guess. Whatever your earning level, hanging onto the lifestyle would be key.

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I don’t think it is limited to this sport. It is the human condition. Most of us want to appear better than we really are.

The strava straight lining at local trails is a classic example. Ordinary mountain bikers, with no championship on the line, are more than happy to create a shortcut in their local trail, just so they can be momentarily at the top of a cyber-leaderboard. As soon as one knobhead does it, all the other leaderboard wankers do it too, because they are all desperately competing with each other. It is pathetic. And that would become the actual trail, until a regular mountain biker gets the original corner back by filling in the straight line with branches.

If the ordinary punter is prepared to cheat for zero actual gain, the temptation must be insane at the top level.
Yeah it ain’t limited to cycling it is across the board. I agree the temptation must be great.
It’s interesting that it was EWS riders that were caught, because in real world doping the big gains are made after several days of competition not just one off events like DH or XC. Hamilton explains it in his book.. Every pro could be competitive doping or not in single day events but it was the recovery in the multi day races that the dopers had an advantage. I can see why an EWS rider would be tempted..
There is no doubt there gains to be made by training while doped then competing clean. I assume a lot of XC guys, doing remote “altitude training” away from the testers, are doing that.

Flow-Rider

Burner
I don’t think it is limited to this sport. It is the human condition. Most of us want to appear better than we really are.

The strava straight lining at local trails is a classic example. Ordinary mountain bikers, with no championship on the line, are more than happy to create a shortcut in their local trail, just so they can be momentarily at the top of a cyber-leaderboard. As soon as one knobhead does it, all the other leaderboard wankers do it too, because they are all desperately competing with each other. It is pathetic. And that would become the actual trail, until a regular mountain biker gets the original corner back by filling in the straight line with branches.

If the ordinary punter is prepared to cheat for zero actual gain, the temptation must be insane at the top level.
(Strava cheat lines) This happens Australia wide and most of them don't know how stoopid they look. The fly-bys on Starva makes the line choice stand out like dog balls if you've ridden the proper line yourself, sometimes the tracking can be a bit muddled but It's easy to tell usually.

I don't know much about pro MTB salaries, but I imagine they are relatively low.
They certainly wouldn't be banking huge amounts of cash!

Free travel and accommodation all over the globe to ride your bike, that's a good lifestyle
Gwin is allegedly on close to a mill a year so I can't imagine many pro riders in DH being far behind

Yeah it ain’t limited to cycling it is across the board. I agree the temptation must be great.
It’s interesting that it was EWS riders that were caught, because in real world doping the big gains are made after several days of competition not just one off events like DH or XC. Hamilton explains it in his book.. Every pro could be competitive doping or not in single day events but it was the recovery in the multi day races that the dopers had an advantage. I can see why an EWS rider would be tempted..
There is no doubt there gains to be made by training while doped then competing clean. I assume a lot of XC guys, doing remote “altitude training” away from the testers, are doing that.
Think of sprinting (running) and DH racing where there can be seconds or milliseconds between a win, if supplements can give you say 1~2% advantage overall performance it might be the difference between winning and losing.

Last edited:

Flow-Rider

Burner
I reckon there would be daylight between Gwin and the next 5-10 and even bigger gap between 10 and the rest
For sure with the lower ranked riders and Juniors but even if you're on a 100K plus other add-ons a year, still worth doing everything you can to win.

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
(Strava cheat lines) This happens Australia wide and most of them don't know how stoopid they look. .
This is outrageous! I am offended!

I am ranked 6th on a popular local segment, in which I managed to average 67 km/hr, in the car, down the windy gravel road next to the track. Nearly died - as my car is not very rally. Full respect for places 1-5, who must have drove crazier than me - or spent the money to own a faster car than a Mazda 3.

Mywifesirrational

For sure with the lower ranked riders and Juniors but even if you're on a 100K plus other add-ons a year, still worth doing everything you can to win.
Likely a lot less than 100k, even for the fast guys. Sam Hill stated in an interview a while back that in the off season he used to work for his father (?) as a labourer (?). And that was in the period of time that he was doing quite well, maybe more money in the sport how days, although likely a shit load less on average than the mid - late 90's.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Likely a lot less than 100k, even for the fast guys. Sam Hill stated in an interview a while back that in the off season he used to work for his father (?) as a labourer (?). And that was in the period of time that he was doing quite well, maybe more money in the sport how days, although likely a shit load less on average than the mid - late 90's.
(Edit for add ons)

I've read somewhere online they got paid fuck all up until a few years ago then there was the global downturn that almost destroyed most teams .

Can't see a date on the article and I can't guarantee it's true either but from an interview with mick
Hanna. https://jobshadow.com/interview-with-a-professional-mountain-bike-racer/

"How much money do Bike Racer’s make?

I’m not sure exactly the range, but racers in the top 10 in the world make about from 50,000 usd up to 300,000 per year including prize money and bonuses depending on image and rankings."

Wow! Back in 1996 Shaun Palmer "$300,000-per-year pro sponsorship deal with Specialized and a major endorsement deal with Swatch.", that was a lot of money for back then.

https://dirtmountainbike.com/people/shaun-palmer

Last edited:

Flow-Rider

Burner

I am ranked 6th on a popular local segment, in which I managed to average 67 km/hr, in the car, down the windy gravel road next to the track. Nearly died - as my car is not very rally. Full respect for places 1-5, who must have drove crazier than me - or spent the money to own a faster car than a Mazda 3.
Hahah! I beat Chris Kovarik on a fire road with multiple water bars, does that count for hero status on Strava ? It's all legit I promise.

Last edited:

link1896

Mr Greenfield

Please tell the the segment is called “did you forget to turn off strava?”

Mywifesirrational

Naw, had like 6 attempts in the car, it was like the tour de france, I had to cheat because everyone else was! I mean the bike was on the roof, so it was semi-legit?

Although it looks like a double cheater flagged my 7th ranked run, so I've dropped back to 11th place. I mean what sort of scum bag flags your cheating when they are also in a car, disgusting.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Did you consider putting your large build to good purpose by employing any of those aerodynamic positions road cyclists often use? Perhaps planking out the window...

Warp

Likes Dirt

This... one more example of stupidity for the sake of "winning"... People riding on Zwift (virtual racing, fucking virtual racing!!!) putting weights well below their own to bump up their Watt/Kg or tampering with their power meter.

There are people that will cheat their way for just being noticed.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
This... one more example of stupidity for the sake of "winning"... People riding on Zwift (virtual racing, fucking virtual racing!!!) putting weights well below their own to bump up their Watt/Kg or tampering with their power meter.

There are people that will cheat their way for just being noticed.
Thats really a thing? Far out, thats pretty crook. I'd bet one shaved left nut of a ballsack that those sort of kooks are triathletes for three hours every Sunday morning.

Warp

Likes Dirt
Thats really a thing? Far out, thats pretty crook. I'd bet one shaved left nut of a ballsack that those sort of kooks are triathletes for three hours every Sunday morning.
Yeah... I must confess I do it to do something during the week, gives me another option to "ride" and train. It's particularly useful as torture training. Not that it's working for my training (lost cause) but it helps.

I have a friend who'd rather compete on Zwift than showing up for a ride. He doesn't cheat, or so he says :) , but sure there are people who actually compete at that level and for sure some people CHEAT at that level.

It's sad and puzzling. Like... why?

Edit... Perhaps I'm not a competitive person. I believe more in cooperation than competition even though I don't really like team sports.