Gravey more than just tomato sauce as special ingredient, Rude a bit rich with his explanation.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Yeah... I must confess I do it to do something during the week, gives me another option to "ride" and train. It's particularly useful as torture training. Not that it's working for my training (lost cause) but it helps.

I have a friend who'd rather compete on Zwift than showing up for a ride. He doesn't cheat, or so he says :) , but sure there are people who actually compete at that level and for sure some people CHEAT at that level.

It's sad and puzzling. Like... why?

Edit... Perhaps I'm not a competitive person. I believe more in cooperation than competition even though I don't really like team sports.
Fill me in, I'm completely unaware of what Zwift is. I know its virtual but how does it actually work? You ride your bike on your trainer and race other people doing the same while you watch it unfold on your Ipad? Virtual Strava kinda thing?

Warp

Likes Dirt
Fill me in, I'm completely unaware of what Zwift is. I know its virtual but how does it actually work? You ride your bike on your trainer and race other people doing the same while you watch it unfold on your Ipad? Virtual Strava kinda thing?
Indeed. You've got it.
The thing can only calculate how fast you go based on the sensors on your bike. It's all computed through the power readings on the powermeter. With that, the program calculates how "fast" would you go based on your power to weight ratio.

Obviously, if you can put out 150w per 20min and you weigh 75kg, you may be in disadvantage to another guy who can equally put out 150w but weighs 60kg.

I have done a couple of those "races" and it's weird. I mostly use the trainer as a (duh!) trainer. It puts me on a program variates resistance, etc. That I really like. It's not real life, but for that end it works.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Cheers Warp, sounds like a good option for those that are time poor and happy to train at home. Shame to hear it attracts some dirty tactics for no actual gain other than self admiration.

mik_git

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Saw a post, i think on Yetifan facebook page that Rude wasn't going to race this year, but dunno any details

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
I find it hard to comprehend why Richie wouldn't race if there are currently no sanctions in place.

EsPeGe

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So instead of starting a new thread I'm gonna hijack this one. So Martin Maes has been done for Probenecid and copped a 90 day suspension as it was given to him by a doctor at the EWS event at Rotorua. It was administered as help boost the effectiveness of the antibiotics (also given by the same doc) that weren't helping with a gnarly cut that got infected. Pretty shit really. The Doc wasn't aware the drug was banned as he was a volunteer and there was no phone reception on site for them to be able to check. He has submitted an explanation to the UCI in defence of Maes. The UCI could have issued a retroactive Therapeutic Use Exemption but did not. They freely acknowledge that Probenecid is in no way performance enhancing (it can be used as a masking agent though) which to me makes it all the more ridiculous that they didn't give him a warning. And how in fuck does the EWS not have a head Doctor that travels around with the circus to make calls exactly like this??? Just really fucked for a nice guy like Maes.

moorey

call me Mia
Well discussed in the EWS thread, but yes, it’s shite. I don’t think he did a thing wrong, and it’s all but acknowledged by the governing bodies. Pretty shit.

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
I’ve seen a few posts in the background by pro riders from both EWS and DH, I think they all take this as a wake up. Be informed, don’t rely on info of others.

However in this scenario it’s very unlucky for Martin. This infection was actually at life or limb stage. He acknowledged he wouldn’t change the decision it even if he could as it saved him a far worse fate. But still believes it to be a harsh outcome, which it is. In his Pinkbike interview. he discusses just how much he has been tested in his career, so knows the ropes. But this was something from an outside source (the emergency doc) and given the circumstances, was the best and only choice to make.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It's interesting that a few doctor's jumped into the comments in that pinkbike article and basically said it smelt very fishy in terms of what the doctor was prescribing him. Basically saying that even a first year resident doctor wouldn't give him that for an infection.

I'm by no means an expert at all, but what he took was a masking agent, so there's the very real possibility that he had performance enhancing substances on board but by taking the masking agent that's all he risks being popped for if tested.

Now, I'm still in the camp of believing Maes story as he did have that injury and infection. But you can see why he did receive the ban.