Help me search for the right frame

safreek

Disclaimer - haven't tried this but should work.
I've hidden it so it looks like less of a thread derailing
A 1-1/2 steerer tube has an outer diameter of 38.1 expanding to 40mm where the crown race sits, much like a traditional 1-1/8 steerer is 28.6mm expanding to 30mm for the crown race.
A standard straight headtube for 1-1/2 forks has 49mm ID see the one on the extreme right of the image below (labelled "1.5""). Much like the straight headtube for 1-1/8 forks which has 34mm ID (extreme left labelled "traditional").

Lots of modern headtubes made for tapered headsets have a 44 upper ID and either a 56mm lower (labelled above as "Tapered/E2") or 44mm lower (labelled above as "Integral"). Even the old Giant from 2005 (first model Trance) sitting in my shed is 44mm upper and lower.
Both of those headtubes (Tapered and Integral) can take a lower cup that accommodates a 1.5" (i.e. the lower part of a tapered steerer tube). Hope don't make an upper cup that can accommodate a 1-1/2 steerer for a headtube with a 44mm ID, but the upper headset cups in the link from earlier is a Reset racing model made for that configuration.

Here is the line up chart from Reset racing. #7807 upper (Oberteile) and #7089 lower (Unterteile) would convert an Integral head set and the lower would need to change to #7086 for a tapered. Note the upper has a 16mm stack height (Aufbauhohe) above the headtube.
Feel free to derail threads, that's what rotorburn is all about

PJO

in me vL comy
This is the only Swing bike I've seen until now
Sadly doesn't have a headtube that could accommodate a 1.5" steerer
(got this thread back on the rails!!)

hellmansam

Likes Bikes and Dirt
PJO "This top cap would expand your search to frames with 44mm upper headtube, but it ain't cheap (looking at ~$140)!!"
https://www.bike24.com/p295828.html
Please explain. How does this work ?
Does it adapt 1.5 to 44mm ext diam upper frame tubes ?
I went through the motions of looking into this last year, wasn't worth it for my particular frame/fork combo, the TLDR version is: to fit a 1.5" steerer in a 44mm upper and/or lower head tube, you need an upper and a lower EC (external cup) bearing assembly along with the ID of the head tube having room for the 1.5" steerer all the way through, and the steerer being long enough to allow for the extra stack height (about 12mm per EC assembly)

I converted my Merida from straight to tapered steerer with a Cane Creek 44/40 lower cup which was easy to find but an upper wasn't. Ended up with a far better value configuration than what I was initially looking at.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
There used to be a guy in town here that rode one of those "swing bikes" up and down the promenade. It looked like he was enjoying himself but also struggling to not die. He had made it himself by cutting up old bikes.

PJO

in me vL comy
I converted my Merida from straight to tapered steerer with a Cane Creek 44/40 lower cup which was easy to find but an upper wasn't. Ended up with a far better value configuration than what I was initially looking at.
Yes but the struggle is real when you have a lovely burly unicorn [sic] fork!

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Not sure that tapered really contributes that much stiffness since the shaft is held in a sleeve then a bearing then the fork but anyway it has happened.
I suppose the excuse is it was necessary for longer travel sc forks and is lighter than full 1.5 in steerers.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Not sure that tapered really contributes that much stiffness since the shaft is held in a sleeve then a bearing then the fork but anyway it has happened.
I suppose the excuse is it was necessary for longer travel sc forks and is lighter than full 1.5 in steerers.
Microns lighter...

Doesn't the taper shape increase strength in the frame due to the way forces are distributed? So it was more about the frame than the fork.

safreek

Starting to consider
There's a few old tranny blindsides around.
They look nice but probably to much travel and weight for my plans.
In the end I think I will have to compromise with my dreams, everyone is holding on to their lightweight single pivot 1.5. Shit, I thought people would be throwing the old dales at me, fantasy world eh

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
Starting to consider

They look nice but probably to much travel and weight for my plans.
In the end I think I will have to compromise with my dreams, everyone is holding on to their lightweight single pivot 1.5. Shit, I thought people would be throwing the old dales at me, fantasy world eh
Or they're all broken in peoples sheds.. I tried to track an old gemini down for years, any time I found one, it was either cracked or had been repaired, gave up in the end. Still waiting to find a shockwave 9.5, one day.