Highland Fling Anyone ?

DaGonz

Eats Squid
are you ready for the wet course given the recent weather???
They said this the other year, and yet somehow, other than a stupid high creek crossing, there wasn't a smattering of mud on the course. A smattering of rain out that way today, nothing really that much over the last week, and fine conditions forecast for the days ahead.

Unless it's raining on the day (which it's not forcast to do) It'll be leaving the mud tyres at home.

Cheers
Gonz

carbs

Likes Bikes
other than a stupid high creek crossing,
I agree about the 1st stage crossings being stupid, getting wet shoes in the 1st hour and having to ride for another 7hrs is not the best. A pallet bridge would make life easier and reduce the congestion that happens there.

I currently have Crossmarks on ... not really all that wild about them in the dry.

Anyone run them in the damp to muddy conditions we are probably in for?

McBain

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Most of the course is typical Sydney Sandstone sandy base, so won't be too bad. Even the darker soil through the Wingello stuff won't get that muddy.

The chest deep river crossings, however ... meh, at least the water won't be freezing cold like you get on the Karapoti (where you start and finish in the river, with a few other crossings on the way).

(Easy to say that all that now.)

DaGonz

Eats Squid
Anyone run them in the damp to muddy conditions we are probably in for?
heh.. I'm biased, I think they're an average tyre in all conditions, but they're especially average in the wet...

Most of the course is typical Sydney Sandstone sandy base, so won't be too bad. Even the darker soil through the Wingello stuff won't get that muddy.
2007 we had a lot of rain and everyone was worried about it. I reasoned as above and that if it was truly sloppy, then it wouldn't matter what tyre or how you prepared, you'd be screwed anyway. Turns out the day was fantastic, and the dark soil in wingello tacky and beautiful! 2nd time around and 600 sets of tyres later it was so much fun to ride on, I nearly forgot i was hallucinating voices ;)

oh look, some shameless self promotion:

http://spoonboy.solonutter.org/blog/?p=64

Cheers
Gonz

spudatm

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I agree it pissed down all week in 2007 and come race day apart from some cold creek crossings and a few muddy paddocks it was great.

alchemist

Manly Warringah MTB Club
Reports from the area suggest "should be nice. cool, no dust" Which is a little disappointing really.. :D