HMBA Super G All Mountain - Paterson

stinky dee

Likes Dirt
What sort of shuttle system is used for this event? Crank holders?
I almost bought a bike with carbon cranks a would imagine that other riders with these types of cranks would have some concern?

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
I almost bought a bike with carbon cranks a would imagine that other riders with these types of cranks would have some concern?
Always assume worst case when it comes to shuttles, we accept no liability for your bike when it's on the trailer and the shuttle road is rough as. There will definately be crank holders there, depending on pre-registered numbers and how many trailers we end up needing there may be other types as well. All competitiors are most welcome to ride to the top, it is quite a pleasent climb.

Type of bike

Hi, I've never ridden the track up there before but keen to have a go. Would it be stupid to race it on my 120mm travel bike or is that doable? As a comparison, I've used the same bike to ride the first section of the downhill track at Ourimbah (some B lines though). Thanks!

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
Hi, I've never ridden the track up there before but keen to have a go. Would it be stupid to race it on my 120mm travel bike or is that doable? As a comparison, I've used the same bike to ride the first section of the downhill track at Ourimbah (some B lines though). Thanks!
Hi DoisforDonuts,

A bike with 120mm travel is ample enough, maybe even the perfect amount for this event. I myself race a 120mm Trek Fuel Ex and we have had riders on hardtails and fully rigid bikes as well. From a travel perspective the first half of Ourimbah is rougher than the trails we have planned for you at Paterson.

newby concern

Hi guys. I have entered this event. Im reasonably new to mtb about 6 months.this is my first event.what level do you need to be at to take this on? I reckon I go ok but I haven't tested myself against anything yet. I take on everything at glenrock with no dramas except some of the bigger doubles. (Working on it) I have ridden the bottom part of tbe downhill at awaba and found that fairly challenging so where does patterson fit in?

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
Hi guys. I have entered this event. Im reasonably new to mtb about 6 months.this is my first event.what level do you need to be at to take this on? I reckon I go ok but I haven't tested myself against anything yet. I take on everything at glenrock with no dramas except some of the bigger doubles. (Working on it) I have ridden the bottom part of tbe downhill at awaba and found that fairly challenging so where does patterson fit in?
Hi Andos280775,

Welcome to MTB, the Paterson course is very noob friendly and will make a perfect first event. It's not as groomed as Glenrock but nowhere near as 'challenging' as any part on the Monkey track at Awaba. There are no big jumps or drops at Paterson (yet :whistle:) and anything that we do put in will always have a B-Line option. If you want to come and check it out we'll be out there on the Sunday and Monday of the long weekend, come and give us hand to tidy up the track and we'll let you have a sneaky ride before race day.

Last edited:
Hi DoisforDonuts,

A bike with 120mm travel is ample enough, maybe even the perfect amount for this event. I myself race a 120mm Trek Fuel Ex and we have had riders on hardtails and fully rigid bikes as well. From a travel perspective the first half of Ourimbah is rougher than the trails we have planned for you at Paterson.
Thanks! Looking forward to this one

Hi Andos280775,

Welcome to MTB, the Paterson course is very noob friendly and will make a perfect first event. It's not as groomed as Glenrock but nowhere near as 'challenging' as any part on the Monkey track at Awaba. There are no big jumps or drops at Paterson (yet :whistle:) and anything that we do put in will always have a B-Line option. If you want to come and check it out we'll be out there on the Sunday and Monday of the long weekend, come and give us hand to tidy up the track and we'll let you have a sneaky ride before race day.
great stuff,very excited about it.thanks for the reply.will bay away on the long weekend but look forward to bein involved in more events in the future.cheers

crashbandicoot

Likes Bikes
The HMBA trailers do have crank holders, but we have lined the inside of the holder with poly pipe, so they are not as bitey as the CORC trailers, there is no metal to crank contact, I slip a bit of DH inner tube over the crank arm to protect it.

The trails are part of the 24 hour track, I know that alot of people did them as there first race and had a ball on them. One track has a small rock garden that has a B line around it. Another has a few tight switch backs, there are no drops or steep rutted bits. There is lots of off camber corners at the moment but it depends how many people we get to the working bee we might be able to reduce the amount but we can't get rid of all of them because it is not a BMX track.

These tracks were designed by Ross Cairns, who is a avid full rigid single speeder freak, so that is what the tracks are designed around. I have ridden them on my full rigid 29er but the most fun was on my Yeti 575, (but Yeti's are the most fun bikes to ride anyway, heaps better than Advanti's). If love the Roller Coaster at Ourimbah or skids for kids at Awaba you'll love these tracks.

Gravityfreak

Likes Dirt
The HMBA trailers do have crank holders, but we have lined the inside of the holder with poly pipe, so they are not as bitey as the CORC trailers, there is no metal to crank contact, I slip a bit of DH inner tube over the crank arm to protect it.

The trails are part of the 24 hour track, I know that alot of people did them as there first race and had a ball on them. One track has a small rock garden that has a B line around it. Another has a few tight switch backs, there are no drops or steep rutted bits. There is lots of off camber corners at the moment but it depends how many people we get to the working bee we might be able to reduce the amount but we can't get rid of all of them because it is not a BMX track.

These tracks were designed by Ross Cairns, who is a avid full rigid single speeder freak, so that is what the tracks are designed around. I have ridden them on my full rigid 29er but the most fun was on my Yeti 575, (but Yeti's are the most fun bikes to ride anyway, heaps better than Advanti's). If love the Roller Coaster at Ourimbah or skids for kids at Awaba you'll love these tracks.
I rode/raced it last year and these are my thoughts:

I think the track we rode last year (I understand this will be just one of the three on the day) was excellent - a really good combination of many aspects of both fitness and bike handling and I would hope that you don't change it at all. For those new to this racing - there is NOTHING to be afraid of on this track. It will however challenge you - but then that's the whole point right?

The top section has excellent gradient (steep-ish) with many off camber corners, some tight sections through the trees (may swap the 750 bars for 730's) and even off-camber singletrack straights where your bike wants to fade-away a bit if you don't hold an edge. We raced one run in very dry / dusty conditions which made the off-cambers particularly challenging - but in a good way - and the second after a shower. The second was way faster / grippier.

The middle section get's fast. There is one particular section where it get's really fast - but as the trail is jeep track at that point - it is once again no cause for concern for the less experienced. This middle section spits you out at high speed into a paddock for the last section ....

The last section .... well I aint gonna lie - after 2/3 of your race run - it hurts! But it's never not fun.

I actually think it was one of the more well rounded tracks I've raced in the past two years of doing these events so I am really stoked to be racing it again and look fwd to seeing what other goodness is in store for us :) I'd encourage newbs who are interested but tentative to have a crack at this event. It's super low key and friendly too. Just make sure you don't get the shuttle driven by Butler - now THAT was scary!

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
what is the reasoning behind the no gopro rule?
No reason, I just thought that it would look awesome if everyone had big bulky 16mm reel video cameras strapped to their heads.

Actually you can GoPro till your heart's content and we would love to see the edits once their done, sorry if the dry humour didn't translate in my original post.

crashbandicoot

Likes Bikes
Just make sure you don't get the shuttle driven by Butler - now THAT was scary![/QUOTE]

Guess what, I have a broken wing, so guess who's going to do the shuttling, thinking of building a few gaps and drops in the road up, just to make me feel at home. Once you have done the shuttle run you'll think the monkey DH track at Awaba is nothing.

bigred2284

Likes Bikes
im a bit slow

No reason, I just thought that it would look awesome if everyone had big bulky 16mm reel video cameras strapped to their heads.

Actually you can GoPro till your heart's content and we would love to see the edits once their done, sorry if the dry humour didn't translate in my original post.

i think others may have understood, im just a bit slow thats all haha