Holden out of Oz in 2017

moorey

call me Mia
It's like taking our bikes from us and giving us some cafe racer 28.75" bike, it just won't be the same even it's actually better.
No, it's like giant pulling the pin in Australia, and having to buy other brands of bikes.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
The worst part; and this is my inner tradie bogan coming out; no more preformance Utes. (yes I'm aware it's a oxy-moron.) YAY for silly xr6t utes and maloo's.
I consider myself a "connoisseur" (read: snob) when it comes to cars. Yet the above is truly depressing. Performance utes aren't just something we did better than anyone else - we were the only country that did it (excluding the El Camino). Plus we invented the things (1934 Ford something). Compared to our utes, an F-150 or some archaic barn vomited out by the millions in the states does not compare.

There will always be space for a bright blue 6 litre Maloo in my dream garage between an M5 and Noble M600.

(Already quietly checking secondhand prices of VZ and BF utes instead of the Liberty wagon I should be buying - hey they're good for carrying bikes right?)

John U

MTB Precision
I consider myself a "connoisseur" (read: snob) when it comes to cars. Yet the above is truly depressing. Performance utes aren't just something we did better than anyone else - we were the only country that did it (excluding the El Camino). Plus we invented the things (1934 Ford something). Compared to our utes, an F-150 or some archaic barn vomited out by the millions in the states does not compare.

There will always be space for a bright blue 6 litre Maloo in my dream garage between an M5 and Noble M600.

(Already quietly checking secondhand prices of VZ and BF utes instead of the Liberty wagon I should be buying - hey they're good for carrying bikes right?)
Devils advocate but no one cared too much when Holden stopped making utes in the mid 90s and ford didn't put out anything more exciting than the longreach at that point.

skwiz05

Likes Bikes and Dirt
He runs a 19th century cotton mill. What of it?
Yeah, I bet you hate the wages, conditions, entitlement and holidays that you gained all by yourself, without union influence. Classic 'I'm fine, so fuck them' mentality.
Union bashing is just a variation on Government bashing (and gets us nowhere).

We all share the responsibility and the consequences. However its not unreasonable to expect the Government to govern.
I agree with Moorey on this (no surprises from my previous posts in this thread).

What do you do for a living skwiz05?
Apologies if I touched a raw Union nerve Moorey (or any other Unionist). I wasnt union bashing. And (Moorey) - I dont have a "Fuck them Im fine" mentality at all.

I was just offering up another avenue of explanation or thought as to why the car industry seems screwed. And i think union involvement (good or bad) has had an influence over the state that our wages and industry competition is at in Australia. Yes, government has influence as well, not denying that. But other industries are suffering too, that dont get $1M handouts....

For the record (John U), I am not a unionist, there is NO union in my chosen vocation......(by law), My pay and conditions are set by Govt legislation.
And further, I drive a 4wd that neither Holden or Ford could touch or dream to touch in the next 50 years Id think. (or any Oz car maker for that matter).
Im not a holden/ford hater, just prefer value for money and quality of what i own. (just like everyone).

I also agree with the sentiments others have expressed here. Its sad so many lose a job, but industries come and go.
The average for someone to stay in any job these days is 7-10 years. You have to move with the times, re-train, upskill etc etc.
Im sure that if the majority of the population fit this model, then those workers are going to be forced to join the bandwagon so to speak.
Plenty of people in this world lose jobs in this modern economy. We all get told to plan for it dont we? (Income insurance, super, etc.....)And then we all have to move on. If I was in a job that has already had a bale out.....Id be planning another future just in case.(retrain/reskill). i hope those workers at least get some help there...

On a side thought......what would the wages for those people out of a job be worth? As much as the Govt has given to the company in the previous and last bale out? How many years of wages would that have been if the govt just gave the money to the workers instead of to the company? One wonders......( done the math)....

Im just as sad at the prospect of what the Govt announced recently about 14000 public servants losing jobs as the Holden saga actually.....

Urban DH

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm not sure if its been mentioned as all but has anyone actually thought about the chain of events properly? I don't mean people didn't buy this, they made little money, too expensive to produce in aus. but really thought about it? was it not 7 or 8 years ago gm said they will be shutting holden Australian in 2016? honestly? do you really think holden just up and said no dice, we're pulling out? NO they did not! the yanks at the head office in Detroit have been thinking about this since the early 90's.

C'mon people dig a little deeper and think more, they've been planning it for years, and the fact of the matter is there just isn't as bigger market of v8 sedans and wagons any more. there just isn't. people would all love one but they either cant or don't want to afford the fuel bill. utes are a different field, but people want cheap to run, low emmisions, quiet and easy cars to drive, not a great heavy v8 with more torque then necessary.

Capone

Likes Dirt
Apologies if I touched a raw Union nerve Moorey (or any other Unionist). I wasnt union bashing. And (Moorey) - I dont have a "Fuck them Im fine" mentality at all.

I was just offering up another avenue of explanation or thought as to why the car industry seems screwed. And i think union involvement (good or bad) has had an influence over the state that our wages and industry competition is at in Australia. Yes, government has influence as well, not denying that. But other industries are suffering too, that dont get $1M handouts....

For the record (John U), I am not a unionist, there is NO union in my chosen vocation......(by law), My pay and conditions are set by Govt legislation.

And further, I drive a 4wd that neither Holden or Ford could touch or dream to touch in the next 50 years Id think. (or any Oz car maker for that matter).

Im not a holden/ford hater, just prefer value for money and quality of what i own. (just like everyone).

I also agree with the sentiments others have expressed here. Its sad so many lose a job, but industries come and go.

The average for someone to stay in any job these days is 7-10 years. You have to move with the times, re-train, upskill etc etc.

Im sure that if the majority of the population fit this model, then those workers are going to be forced to join the bandwagon so to speak.

Plenty of people in this world lose jobs in this modern economy. We all get told to plan for it dont we? (Income insurance, super, etc.....)And then we all have to move on. If I was in a job that has already had a bale out.....Id be planning another future just in case.(retrain/reskill). i hope those workers at least get some help there...

On a side thought......what would the wages for those people out of a job be worth? As much as the Govt has given to the company in the previous and last bale out? How many years of wages would that have been if the govt just gave the money to the workers instead of to the company? One wonders......( done the math)....

Im just as sad at the prospect of what the Govt announced recently about 14000 public servants losing jobs as the Holden saga actually.....

Public servants are a lovely political football. I'm happy to see some go if there is thinking and analysis behind the decision. Sadly knowing the Canberra APS system well it will be the workers who get punted while the over represented middle management ranks will swim by

floody

Wheel size expert
Announced recently? It was a policy PLATFORM of the Liberals. Consider that. One of the more heavily pushed platforms to get people to vote for them was pledging to put 12,000+ people out of work.

'Jobs, Jobs, Jobs'...who said that again? Only jobs I can see them creating so far are board seats for their mates like Tim Wilson and Sophie Mirabella.

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Time to move on from Holden as the next bail out could be public servants.

The PS has been banking on loads of people retiring for the last 5 years but it is just not happening. Also when PS redundancies are in motion the really talented people who can easily find other jobs tend to go, so it is never a win win situation for the PS.

Time to move on from Holden as the next bail out could be public servants.

The PS has been banking on loads of people retiring for the last 5 years but it is just not happening. Also when PS redundancies are in motion the really talented people who can easily find other jobs tend to go, so it is never a win win situation for the PS.
PS is just a creche for adults

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Well there is that, but that's not what I was getting at. Holden is only ceasing manufacturing here, not disappearing entirely, so they're not leaving a gaping hole in the marketplace (consumers will decide if Holden will maintain market presence). Giant does not manufacture here, only imports, hence my blunt rebuttal of the invalid analogy.

moorey

call me Mia
Well there is that, but that's not what I was getting at. Holden is only ceasing manufacturing here, not disappearing entirely, so they're not leaving a gaping hole in the marketplace (consumers will decide if Holden will maintain market presence). Giant does not manufacture here, only imports, hence my blunt rebuttal of the invalid analogy.
This has NOTHING to do with your original statement. Read back over it, maybe :thumb:

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
Toyota manufacture and export more cars here and havnt yet announced they're pulling out yet. Not sure if Holden deserves the patriotism it gets. They havn't been Aussie owned since horse and cart days have they? Where does the Holden is Australian mythology come from? Is Ford just as Australian?
Death by not evolving fast enough. Make a kick arse electric micro ute with massive torque and quick charge for the win ;-P

oriion

Likes Dirt
wonder how much money holden wasted with their latest Ad campaign. Pretty sure that money could have been better spent elsewhere. :deadhorse:

moorey

call me Mia
Just took my brothers supercharged GTS for a Christmas spin. 550kw, nephew timed my 0-100km at 4.7 seconds. Bonza car, Maybe I've been wrong about these shit heaps....