how do you cope with the heat

dain2772

Likes Bikes and Dirt
+ 1 for ice in the camelbak. I often freeze it half full (making sure the lid doesn't get frozen) and then top it up.

and ignore people who say harden up, it'll just lead to heatstroke, a couple of days feeling like shit and time off the bike.

Even armstrong has been saying that riding in the heat is pretty much just surviving, that you can't perform properly.

Maurice.

Banned
1: lifts to and from the mountian

2: ice cold water in camelbak

3: when out keep air conditioning on 16.C and close blinds or drapes

4: have an ice cold shower
or
5: go to the beach (but get mad sunburn)
;)

Techno Destructo

Riding In Peace
Easy. Early morning rides!!!

Morning rides are also much better than evening rides because the outdoor temperature has had all night to cool down. Evening temperatures will still be riding high on the heat of the day.

Not only do you get the cooler temperatures, but you still have the rest of the day in front of you! Perfect!:)

Trevor_S

Likes Dirt
wondering of other ways to escape the heat while riding besides carrying around heaps of water
As has been said:
1. very early morning (I get up at about 5am) or very late (I have a set if Ay Up's for nights)
2. Appropriate clothing eg a proper summer cycling vest with a zipper down the front (and a vented helmet)
3. You can 1/2 freeze a camel back and and top up just before the ride (i can't be bothered but used to)
4. Don't ride as hard
4. Road cycle a little more. I do more road cycling in summer, there is a nice breeze when your doing 40 that you just can't get on an MTB slogging it up hill :)

new guy

Likes Dirt
if you don't want to go out early morning or at night just drink lots and lots the night before (water that is) and then same thing in the morning and try not to piss and you'll sweat it out and feel alright

Last edited:

Ricardo68

Likes Dirt
I have issues with heat too (almost died after a race one). My tips (mostly already covered):

1: Light clothing - Shortsleeve white top, shorts (no bike shorts), short sox, airy shoes.

2: Ice in camebak - freeze ice cubes and leave 2L of gatorade and a bidon (bike bottle) plain water in the fridge overnight. So in morning I chuck the 2L and cubes in the camelbak and a few in the bidon, just keeps them cool a little longer. Use the bidon mainly to drench your head on the trail! It also might sound silly but remember to actually drink during the ride too :)

3: Stay out of the hot part of the day. Find a trail less exposed to sunlight.

4: Drink more water/gatorade before & after ride too. The night before I usually have a drink before I go to bed and again in the morning. Usually a pint sized glass for me, around 600ml).

5: DO NOT take diuretics, like coffee, booze, etc up to a day before the ride or you will be dehydrated before you start.

6: If you get hot and/or get a bit disoriented stop in shade, drink some water and get cool.

Remember, over 1,000 ppl die of heat related illness every year in Aus. Don't just "harden the f*#k up" ... play smart.

Hopper

Likes Dirt
During the hot weather I try to ride either early morning or later in the arvo. Make sure you keep your fluid levels up.

If I am out riding in the heat I will take the occasional break mid ride in the shade (there is cover at the DJs or if doing DH in the trees).

It is actually harder on your body to drink ice cold water if you have been doing exercise in the heat. You will feel refreashed as you drink and for a little bit after but it puts strain on your body. You will find that in high level sport such as AFL, A-League, NRL or anything else high grade, the trainers will not give players chilled water.

A strange tip I was given while working 12hr shifts in the desert at work was to drink a cup of hot tea! It sounds crazy but it is surprisingly refreshing.

ozten

Banned
During the hot weather I try to ride either early morning or later in the arvo. Make sure you keep your fluid levels up.

If I am out riding in the heat I will take the occasional break mid ride in the shade (there is cover at the DJs or if doing DH in the trees).

It is actually harder on your body to drink ice cold water if you have been doing exercise in the heat. You will feel refreashed as you drink and for a little bit after but it puts strain on your body. You will find that in high level sport such as AFL, A-League, NRL or anything else high grade, the trainers will not give players chilled water.

A strange tip I was given while working 12hr shifts in the desert at work was to drink a cup of hot tea! It sounds crazy but it is surprisingly refreshing.
Its true room temperature water is best, because your body absorbs it quicker than cold water. 500ml every half hour is supposedly how much your body can take on, any more and your just gonna piss it out.

smeck

Likes Dirt
It is actually harder on your body to drink ice cold water if you have been doing exercise in the heat.
You waste time and energy heating the water so your body can absorb it, hence while its nice to drink you rehydrate slower. You absorb water faster when its at ambient temperature so its easier to stay hydrated while allowing your body to sweat more to keep you cool.

I ride in the tropics so its normally 25 to 30° and often 70% humidity as well. I use a 3 litre camelbak and dont touch it until I start riding. Before I go I drink constantly from a water bottle to top up and I keep another in the car to drink afterwards. Eat fruit for natural sugars instead of Gatorade, but if you feel the need for electrolyte drinks dilute them 50/50 with water. They're too strong normally and dont help with hydration.

Remember to sip regularly, dont guzzle. Ride early morning as afternoon rides, even at sunset, can be as little as 3° cooler than at noon. Wear gear which breathes well (mesh liners instead of lycra), and stay away from polyester. And grit your teeth, once you acclimatise its not so bad, but it can be hell getting used to it.

havent had to do this yet but wet your tshirt at the back, keeps ya realy cool
When its hot, the back of your shirt gets wet all by itself. Quickly too I might add.

Last edited:

GOD12A

Likes Dirt
Heya all :)

For the hydration pack guys, i use a cake tin to make ice "blocks" instead of cubes ;)
It has eight or so recesses about the size of a fist each.
I use two to three on a hot day and they melt much slower and will give me cold fluid for more than a few hours easy.
I find filling my pack with heaps of small cubes makes it cold as hell for a short while, then warms up.

I want to freeze a 600ml water bottle and cut the ice out of it one day, see how long that lasts, jus for the hell of it.

Mark :)

the_stig

Likes Bikes
Sweaty balls=less friction=greasy pedalling action=more pinning
I second that^^^

Two parts concrete one part cup I say.

But I actually put ice in camelbak today but then didn't want to wear it because it was digging in on my RIDICULOUSLY sunburnt shoulders.

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
I'm a fan of putting some ice cubes in the Camelbak. Also because it rests on your back it does a bit to keep you cool that way.
Mark has the right idea regarding the ice, the bigger each ice cube the longer it'll last.

I also agree that a real cycling jersey is way better than a T-shirt. It breathes a lot better and you can unzip it if it gets really hot. Even though a singlet is cooler, I wouldn't wear one because in a crash it offers a lot less protection than a full shirt. Not to mention protection from the lack of sun protection as well.

One other thing I find myself doing in the heat is planning my rides to a greater extent. I will plan which trails I will ride and plan where I will stop for a decent rest (sit down, cool down in the shade, take off my helmet and camelbak). Plan ahead and don't ignore the signs of heat illness. If you start getting dizzy or feeling completely wrecked, stop and rest, because if you keep riding it will only end in a nasty stack.

Hud

Likes Dirt
Have a 500mm bottle of concentrated Endura (2.5-3 scoops per bottle) as well as the camelback. Diluted endura in camelback is yech! Sip from the bottle over a 30km ride as well as your straight water. This stuff is vastly better than gatorade etc.
My issue is how to stop getting a sunburnt forhead!! I put sunscreen everywhere else but can't stand it running into my eyes. Suggestions? Helmet visors are pretty useless.

fairy1

Banned
Sharks keep the sissies out of the water and heat keeps the sissies out of the bush, more fun for me, hoorah!!

GOD12A

Likes Dirt
My issue is how to stop getting a sunburnt forhead!! I put sunscreen everywhere else but can't stand it running into my eyes. Suggestions? Helmet visors are pretty useless.
Heya HUD!!

I used to run a thin elastic headband to stop the sweat squishing out of my helmet foam/pads and into my eyes, im sure it would serve a similar purpose for you :)

Mark!!