I phone 4

dog boy

Likes Dirt
Just for what its worth,

I use my "Desire" as an MP3 player, and it's quite good.
It may have a wanky name, but my wife wishes she had it instead of her Iphone. :eek:
Looking at that table im glad I went the galaxy over the disiare. Bottom line is I have found nothing the I phone four can do that my galaxy cant, well apart from being able to buy a head unit for my car that interfaces with this phone. Its kinda like a microsoft vs apple fight, and with the ability to make your own android apps and the guy in the telstra shop assuring me that he was selling 6 to 1 htc desiars to I phone 3gs woulsnt suprise me if android takes over. I was originaly going to buy an iphone cause I wanted a new ipod and I like the idea of having a phone work as a GOOD mp3, so you dont have to carry 2 devices, I much preffer using this to my ipod now. Also I have 12GB of music that would pretty much fill a 16GB iphone, my galaxy is 16GB but,it has expandable memory to 48GB. :p

Joel O

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Isn't the desire exclusive to telstra? Kinda makes the 6:1 sales figure a bit of a moot point. Telstras notoriously expensive iPhone plans probably dot help either.

Tomas

my mum says im cool
The reception problems were with the handset, not the AT&T network.
I'm amazed that a product with widely publicized problems that effect its core use is still so in demand.
It has been widely reported that the 'death grip' is significantly less of a problem in Australia. So, i'm just going to say that the poor service delivered by AT&T made the problem worse, and the media beat up the story to the shithouse.

willsy01

Eats Squid
The reception problems were with the handset, not the AT&T network.
I'm amazed that a product with widely publicized problems that effect its core use is still so in demand.
It has been widely reported that the 'death grip' is significantly less of a problem in Australia. So, i'm just going to say that the poor service delivered by AT&T made the problem worse, and the media beat up the story to the shithouse.
What he said. Our infrastructure essentially cancels the problem from all reports.

Unless you're tethering it, 6gig is so far in excess of what you can realistically use in a month it's not funny.

Bodin

GMBC
Unless you're tethering it, 6gig is so far in excess of what you can realistically use in a month it's not funny.
Maybe, but what IS funny is when people make sweeping statements that miss the point.

apcmag.com article said:
For high data users – such as people who want to use their iPhone as a tethered mobile modem, this makes Telstra the cheapest network by far for data – even though it is also the fastest network with the broadest coverage.
:rolleyes:

loc81

Likes Dirt
well as one would assume, they sold out very quick..

pain in arse, i wanted to put one on order on thursday night but i cbf lining up at 12am!

couldnt get through on the phone on friday!..

and then they were sold out!

and they wont put me on a waiting list due to to many people on it or somthing haha

spose im stuck with my 39 buck nokia untill they get them instock!

I'll tell you what- the stock issue is a complete load of horse shit. I got called up on the Thursday, saying I wouldn't have a problem getting one of the 1st batch because they will be doing all the applications at midnight -keep in mind orgaising my details and sending recieving faxes and calls in a trade environment is a complete stuff-around- and here I am still phone-less!
What's got me stuped is that no-one anywhere will put their balls on the line and publicly say "we are getting X amount of iPhones on X date". Instead I get some didgy SMS saying "Just to confirm that your iPhone order is still in progess. We'll SMS you as soon as your iPhone is ready for delivery. Thankyou for your patience!"
..Acting like they're the work experience person at Optus! It's rediculous that Apple, the asian sweatshop phone makers and the telcos don't have half a brain between them to either start production earlier or delay the release a week or 2 until a realistic amount of stock is in town.
Have we gone back to the dark ages???
They better not be expecting me to pay my plan when there is no new phone!
In other news, it's great to see the reception issue is a non-event!

Last edited:

Knopey

Likes Dirt
You have a point. I put my name down on Friday 30th July * at one place, then went to another 'cos it was on my way home - none there and put my name down there too. Why not, I thought.

Six days later I got a call from the first shop to say it was in so went and got it. (45+ minutes in the friggen Telstra shop to pick it up but thats another story...)

Meanwhile still no call from the second shop. The impression I get is that the waiting list is not centralised so basically the second shop's customers are having to wait a pants amount of time with no updates. But seeing how stupidly understafed both Telstra shops are, nothing would surprise me.

When (if?) they finally ever ring to say it's in I'll just tell them I'm fine and the next person on the list will get a nice surprise.

Btw is it me or is this thing made of uranium? Heavy/dense!

* Just bad timing with my first personal phone purchase in years, it's not that I'm a fanboi.

sawtell

The Great White Rooks Hunter
this is actualy bullshit... so as i said briefly before, i tried to get one on the friday couldnt, tried on the monday couldnt, tried on the wednesday couldnt.. tried the next friday couldnt, tried today i couldnt.

everytime i call i get told to call back, and put my name on the optus website, i have put my name on the optus website 5 times now, not once had i recieved an update of when they may be released again, untill today, when i was told to not call again to after the 15th of september, as they are not taking any orders untill then... THEY HAVNT BEEN TAKING MY FUCKIN ORDER SINCE THE FIRST FUCKIN DAY!!!!!!

What gets me is, 4 mates in that time, have called up, and have got theirs already!!!!!!!!!

it seems to me that, as i am upgrading from a current optus plan, i get put to the bottom of the list, and people who are applying for new optus plans (my 4 mates), get it straight away!!!

its bullshit, if i didnt have to pay a $190 buck cancelation fee, i would cancel my contract and go straight to three/telstra, who atleast will put me on a raincheck list!

i wouldnt care, except i dont currently have a phone with email capabilities, and i really need one for work.

ben_rides_a_bike

Likes Bikes and Dirt
when samsung or any other phone gets as many app's, or well usefull app's as apple have, i might consider one.
thats all that makes me want a iphone!
there are so many usefull app's that i use.
Yeah but i spose it depends on the person, see i have an iphone 3gs and i barely find any apps useful, aside from a few little games that keep me busy, that being said, im only 16..

Bodin

GMBC
i wouldnt care, except i dont currently have a phone with email capabilities, and i really need one for work.
Then, if it's for work purposes, your work should be helping you get your hands on a work-appropriate device like a Blackberry. :p

sawtell

The Great White Rooks Hunter
Such as...?
navonics marine gold GPS software.. for 20 dollars! compared to the $260 it costs for the card for my boat gps!

mainly all i have ever used friends ones for.

blackberry handy, but i cant really see any advantages over the iphone, all i use it for inregards to work is email, which apple seems to make work pretty good.

adman

Likes Dirt
I remember on the previous iPhone (which I was considering buying), you could buy the phone outright (with a prepaid sim / put your current prepaid sim into the iphone) and then purchase monthly internet and email quota. This was possible through a Telstra phone store... not sure what you'd call it... it wasn't the main Telstra shop (which sucks) but it was a store with the Apple shop dealt with.

This amounted to something like $900 for the phone and a $20 per month for the internet usage.

Is there such an option with the iPhone 4? Buy it outright and then use a prepaid account?

Ivan

Eats Squid
navonics marine gold GPS software.. for 20 dollars! compared to the $260 it costs for the card for my boat gps!

mainly all i have ever used friends ones for.
"Navionics Marine GPS; Australia" is available on the Android market for 9.99 euro. :cool:

I was hoping you were going to mention some cool apps I haven't heard off.

Last edited:

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
Played with the iPhone 4 today. Very nice. I prefer the way the 3Gs sits in the hand, but the screen is nicer.

sam705

Likes Dirt
Saw a 4 for the first time today, as an owner of a 3GS i was blown away at the thickness of it. It's like a brick!

niki125

Likes Dirt
Maybe you should have lay it down next to you 3gs. It looks thicker because of the square edges but it is smaller in every dimension.