I phone 4

Norco Maniac

Is back!
One way to do it is to sync the old phone and sim with outlook. Then sync iPhone with outlook.

ta, but i don't use outlook, i use entourage for Mac. no worries tho, and thanks for the suggestion.

i just sat up with a glass (or three) of wine and manually added the whole lot.

alexx23

Likes Dirt
Have an iphone related question:

So i got a iphone yesterday, its not 4, but meh..

My question is, im on testra prepaid, and put my sim in the iphone yesterday and it ate $10 credit. At that stage i hadnt been on the internet at all , no facebook app or anything. So i then turned of date roaming or what ever it is to stop the madness!

This morning, i got a $10 150mb prepaid data pack, heres the issue, i want to be able to use this data for facebook app and the odd google search, but i dont want the phone to do its own thing and just update its self or what ever it does every time i turn on 3g/data roaming.

Can anyone help me with this? I have also heard there is a way you can disable the download of apps/safari but still use the facebook app?

Thanks in advance, sorry if it didnt make much sense , im an iphone noob.

bitterbro

Likes Dirt
This morning, i got a $10 150mb prepaid data pack, heres the issue, i want to be able to use this data for facebook app and the odd google search, but i dont want the phone to do its own thing and just update its self or what ever it does every time i turn on 3g/data roaming.

Can anyone help me with this? I have also heard there is a way you can disable the download of apps/safari but still use the facebook app?
i think the only thing it'll automatically download is email, and you can disable that by going to settings, email then 'fetch new data' and select manually. that way it will only download email when you open the email app.

in saying that 150mb is plenty and will last you a month even if you go on youtube every day. and all other stuff like weather, facebook, safari and stuff will only download info and update stuff when you open them.

alexx23

Likes Dirt
Okay thanks mate.

I may leave 3g off anyway unless i need it, its not too much fuss to turn it on/off! And for what i have heard, it chews the battery like maddd.

cheers !

galumay

Likes Bikes
Have an iphone related question:

So i got a iphone yesterday, its not 4, but meh..

My question is, im on testra prepaid, and put my sim in the iphone yesterday and it ate $10 credit. At that stage i hadnt been on the internet at all , no facebook app or anything. So i then turned of date roaming or what ever it is to stop the madness!

Thanks in advance, sorry if it didnt make much sense , im an iphone noob.
Firstly it ate the $10 credit because when you dont have a data pack, the credit gets eaten at the rate of $22,000GB by tel$tra's evil system! So $10 goes on basically nothing.

Turning off data roaming has no influence on that, as pointed out, 150Mb per month should be plenty for the sort of use you describe - just make sure that you dont use it all and start eating any credit you have on the iPhone!

Disabling the wifi when you are not connected will help preserve battery life, but its a double edged sword because if you forget to activate it again then the phone will continue to use 3G for data.

Better to leave wifi on, I never really noticed any impact on battery life with my old 3GS. Its the games and apps that eat the battery!

Broken Bones89

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Is it just me or does the iPhone 4 chew the battery hardcore. I do flog safari and app store a bit but still I would think the battery would last more that six hours.

Bodin

GMBC
Is it just me or does the iPhone 4 chew the battery hardcore. I do flog safari and app store a bit but still I would think the battery would last more that six hours.
IMO, the battery life is better than the 3GS. I browse Safari and listen to the iPod constantly and I only recharge once a day (overnight to 100%). Running WiFi & Bluetooth chews it a bit harder, so keep them turned off unless you actually use them. And, of course, games will chew it the most.

galumay

Likes Bikes
Thanks, sooo am i better off to leave 3G off and just turn data roaming on?
No! Leave them both on, data roaming is irrelevant in Australia on Tel$tra anyway. You can turn wifi off when you are away from a wifi service, but I dont bother as its too easy to forget to turn it back on again at home. (you cant turn 3G off anyway, well only by using an incorrect APN.)

I agree with Bodin, I find mine much better than 3GS and miles better than any other smart phone I have used.

Bodin

GMBC
Bluetooth is cool.

Got my car stereo upgraded to a new Sony iPhone-compatible head unit yesterday.

Sa-weeeet!!! I can plug it in using the standard cable and it will charge and play music. Or I can connect via Bluetooth and stream music and answer telephone calls. All of this with a simple little remote control which means I never have to take my eyes off the road.

I know people have probably been doing this for years before me, but I'm stoked and reckon it's $380 well spent. My iPhone is now basically integrated in to every single thing I do. It's my phone, still camera, video camera (& editor!), music player, browser, mailer, online banker, calendar, file transport & GPS.

I'm pretty much f***ed if I ever lose it, but everything's backed up somewhere/somehow. :eek:

galumay

Likes Bikes
thanks, so its not likely to chew too much data and battery life by leaving them on?
In terms of data its more important to be aware of what connection you are on when you use data, if you are not on a wifi network then try to avoid doing data intensive tasks, eg watching youtube!

I dont believe it makes much difference to battery life, it will be better if you disable wifi - but then you risk using more precious 3G data.

cam-o

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Or I can connect via Bluetooth and stream music
What's the quality like? My Bluetooth is OK for phone calls in the car but occasionally the car kit picks up the music when I plug into the aux jack on the stereo and the sound quality is sh!t. When i tell it to go through the cable it's all good but music over bluetooth for me is useless (iPhone 3Gs and Ford Factory bluetooth)

Broken Bones89

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So my Iphone 4 did the blank screen trick to me (where the phone is still on but the screen is dead) and after a moment of panic thinking I had already killed my precious after only two weeks I figured out how to reset it. Which i did, now my apps won't work, do I need to redownload them now?