Interesting read - "CrossFit’s Dirty Little Secret"

jackass'd

Likes Dirt
Original posted it here (didnt even realise there was a fitness section :s - http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/sho...irty-Little-Secret-quot&p=2725276#post2725276

Disclaimer;

I have done crossfit in the past and at the time only stopped as my schedule was too busy (my local CF only had like 2 sessions a day) but still none the less enjoyed it. I was never a crossfit nazi, which can be common at every CF, but certainly felt the benefits of the training.

I however regulated every session myself (due to back and knee injury) and never brought into the whole having to "1 up" the next person or bettering my PB every session that CF seems to thrive on.

I now do gym sessions 4 - 5 days a week, because as my knowledge of exercise/nutrition has developed with the help of industry experts and knowing what my body responds best to now, my very specific goals and targets are best met with my current plan which can only be achieved at the gym.

I am not anti crossfit, nor am I saying its the be all and end all. Everyone is different and their bodies will respond in their own way to different training methods.

However this shit is shocking!!!

https://medium.com/health-fitness-1/97bcce70356d

I wont paste the entire article up as its a little long, but all i said after reading it was WTF!!!

Asterope

Likes Dirt
That is shocking - and disgusting. Its fine to be competitive, but at the sake of your own health? Health and well being is not a competition.

That article also reminded me about this article:

http://reembody.me/2013/09/10/the-6-most-shockingly-irresponsible-fitspiration-photos/

Glorifying warning signs that your body is about to shut down (like puking or wetting yourself) and making those out to be good things/badges of honour is fucking stupid, and dangerous.

That is shocking - and disgusting. Its fine to be competitive, but at the sake of your own health? Health and well being is not a competition.

That article also reminded me about this article:

http://reembody.me/2013/09/10/the-6-most-shockingly-irresponsible-fitspiration-photos/

Glorifying warning signs that your body is about to shut down (like puking or wetting yourself) and making those out to be good things/badges of honour is fucking stupid, and dangerous.
and yet people still complain about the "nanny State"

if you are gullible enough to buy land at low tide, ask the universe for a ferrari or excercise until your eyeballs explode then it's just natures way of telling you "you had a good run" but really you shouldn't be here

or you could just eat more bananas.

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
thanks for the link jackass'd, interesting read.

Back when I was teaching VET fitness courses I used to always throw some info in about Rhabdomyolysis, it's not taught anywhere but in exercise science degrees and it can have serious consequences. The other 'teachers' *cough* had never heard of it and advocated to the students harder is better, longer is better...

This is some of the info I've cut out of my presentations: The jist of it is when you push a young fit person hard enough - especially if they have some predicting factors, muscles start to break down, if the damage is enough this is the result. Typically not reported in older training individuals as they just don't have the stamina to go hard enough.

What is Rhabdomyolysis
Is a serious medical condition in which the breakdown of muscle fibres and membranes allow myoglobin to ‘escape’ into the cardiovascular system.
If in high enough quantities it will result in kidney damage or kidney failure.

Causes
Alcoholism (with subsequent muscle tremors)
Certain inherited or genetic syndromes
Crush Injuries
Heat Intolerance
Heat Stroke
Ischemia or necrosis of the muscles (as may occur with arterial occlusion, deep vein thrombosis, or other conditions)
Low phosphate levels
Seizures
Severe exertion such as marathon running or calisthenics
Shaking chills
Trauma

Symptoms
Abnormal urine color (dark, red, or cola colored)
General weakness
Muscle stiffness or aching (myaglia)
Muscle tenderness
Weakness of the affected muscles

Tests
CKP is very high.
Serum myoglobin test is positive.
Serum potassium may be very high
Urinalysis may reveal casts and be positive for hemoglobin without evidence of red blood cells on microscopic examination.
Urine myoglobin test is positive.

Treatment:
People need urgent medical attention to minimise the damage to the kidneys.
‘aggressive’ fluid intake via IV line
If the person is still able to urinate – diuretics
Kidney failure via dialysis – this may be an acute bout or a chronic problem from not on

Rhabdomyolysis has a 20% mortality rate due to acute kidney failure.
Have you ever heard of this before?

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
This condition isn't purely related to crossfit though is it? It could be bought on by any sort of strenuous physical activity that takes you to certain limits. It sounds like something you suffer after a huuuuuuuge night on the tins.

Mywifesirrational

This condition isn't purely related to crossfit though is it? It could be bought on by any sort of strenuous physical activity that takes you to certain limits. It sounds like something you suffer after a huuuuuuuge night on the tins.
Yeah anything can cause it that's strenuous enough and long enough in duration. The person generally has to be fit enough and willing to go hard enough for it to occur.

From what I have been presented at conferences, it's normally a combination of factors, ie. a really hard workout - huge night of tinnies the night before and a bit rundown flu-ish in general.

jackass'd

Likes Dirt
Its definitely not limited to crossfit. But I would say due to the nature (and after being apart of crossfit) it would be the most common place for it to occur.

I like to assume that the majority of people working out (outside of crossfit participants) definitely have big days/sessions and smash a particular muscle group, but then will rest that muscle group and allow it to recover.

I believe Rhabdomyolysis would only happen in extreme cases and the majority of those cases are crossfit related.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Uh huh, I see. So it's safe to assume that if I stick to my exercise for leisure and to keep my physique in shape to impress the girls that I'd be safe in avoiding it. ;)

SlowManiac

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Cross Fits dirty little secret is more like how many people get injured trying to do as many reps as possible with the worst possible form. Kipping pull ups anyone?

Trickymac

Likes Dirt
craig gordon got it from a 24hr race he won, the worlds few yrs ago
see the excellent movie 24solo to see what happs to gordo with rhabdo

Pastavore

Eats Squid
I've only ever seen rhabdo in people who have OD'd, and people who have had strokes, who have collapsed and not moved for very long periods of time. Nasty, nasty condition, you don't want to get it.

Zam

Likes Dirt
Cross Fits dirty little secret is more like how many people get injured trying to do as many reps as possible with the worst possible form. Kipping pull ups anyone?
Exactly right, and what is it with all crossfitters that when they deadlift on the last rep they have to throw the bar down like there deadlifting a world record????

brisneyland

Likes Dirt
I've only ever seen rhabdo in people who have OD'd, and people who have had strokes, who have collapsed and not moved for very long periods of time. Nasty, nasty condition, you don't want to get it.
And the first time marathon runner. Gold Coast hospital will see at least a dozen cases after the marathon every year, and I'm sure it's common after other marathons as well.

driftking

Wheel size expert
Hahah this is a coincidence I only just looked into this yesterday. Which prompted a trip to the hospital as I was concerned I possibly had the first stages and GP wasn't in till monday.(luckily I was all clear) while I did not have any brown urine, my arm was swollen, sore, couldn't bend it past 90degrees, fluid building up minorly and some numb periods in lower arm and just seemed to be getting worse and it was 4days after working out. It wasnt like any sort of DOMSi'd s had before and given numbness i was a bit worried.T he other arm was all good, sore but just typical DOMS.
Thankfully after some solid icing for swelling and rest its feeling much better today but was diagnosed with some sort of overtraining cant remember exactly what I damaged. Should be good to go in 2-6weeks, its improved greatly since yesterday but ill see how it goes and won't rush it.

Its important to be aware of it but I think its causing way too much hype its pretty rare.
It tends to be as noted in long distance however I have seen it in those who completed short workouts. But majority of cases are marathon runners or people in disasters or accidents where they have been pinned/crushed/injured and/or left for a significant time period.

Its important to be aware of it but at the same time DOMS, tendons and ligaments Been overworked can all produce soreness, reduced range of motion, pain, swelling.

As noted its not a crossfit thing, Its a exercise thing. Its probably just been brought to the table because crossfit likes to push people beyond and everyone is now on the bandwagon and love to use crossfit if a way to show how tough they are with their kipping.

Look at how many people compete in marathons or gym junkies who spend hours a day and never get it. There are defiantly those who do but percentage wise it ain't common.
Although evident by my post I tend to lean in the side of caution and get things checked.

If to have concerns its always best to see your GP though. Better safe than sorry.

On cross fit this is hilarious.
[video=youtube_share;3Z2b2x6C5o0]http://youtu.be/3Z2b2x6C5o0[/video]

Last edited:

Mywifesirrational

Hahah this is a coincidence I only just looked into this yesterday. Which prompted a trip to the hospital as I was concerned I possibly had the first stages and GP wasn't in till monday.(luckily I was all clear) while I did not have any brown urine, my arm was swollen, sore, couldn't bend it past 90degrees, fluid building up minorly and some numb periods in lower arm and just seemed to be getting worse and it was 4days after working out. It wasnt like any sort of DOMSi'd s had before and given numbness i was a bit worried.T he other arm was all good, sore but just typical DOMS.
Thankfully after some solid icing for swelling and rest its feeling much better today but was diagnosed with some sort of overtraining cant remember exactly what I damaged. Should be good to go in 2-6weeks, its improved greatly since yesterday but ill see how it goes and won't rush it.
It sounds like the symptoms of a clot/DVT, particularly the numbness/swelling - was there any change in skin color to that arm?

Also sounds like a ruptured bicep tendon, does it hurt to supernate the forearms from a pronated position?

To many bicep curls in front the of the mirror!

Its important to be aware of it but I think its causing way too much hype its pretty rare.
Yeah, the problem I see is the cross fit type morons see it as a badge of honor - as it's something good to have achieved. Whilst it's pretty rare, it may does have a mortality rate associated with it, that's preventable with early medical attention, so a bit of hype / knowledge may prevent someone poor bugger from ignoring the initial symptoms.

driftking

Wheel size expert
Numbness was only few seconds a couple on times nothing crazy bad, no arm colour discolouration. Swelling was not of lower arm just around te worked area, minor swelling just above the elbow that would come and go so nothing that resembled blockages or blood flow issues.

Its triceps that got smashed, biceps are fine :)

It doesn't hurt to extends it except that very last bit when locking out the elbow.
From what I understand its just significant tearing of the muscle. So when I'm bending the arm (extending triceps) its stretching it out and thats why the pain is present and restricting movement.
The dr checked my pulse, arm strength and sensitivity to check blood flow and nerves. All good.

I sort of zoned out once he said its fine just rest I was pretty focused on the 2-6week possible time out:/

Last edited:

swaz

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Shit.... I think I had this! I thought I was just sore after a cross fit session.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
I've been to the puking, collapse with uncontrollable breathing, jaw locked and dying to piss but barely anything coming out heaps of times when I was in the army, usually after 3 days intense enduro type stuff concluding in heavy kit carry through an obs course and weighted runs through sand.

I know how destroyed I was at the end of those days but I don't think I ever got close to rhabdo, thankfully.

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
I did 130 squat thrusts and I couldn't move my arms the next day. Had a CL reading of 32,000! Yup Crossfit.