Introducing the Girls

shena

Cannon Fodder
great to see the ladies at farkin ;-)

name: shell
riding since: mtn bikes approx 5 years, some comps
bike: giant yukon
ride: xc - ainslie/majura, kowen, sparrow
would love to try dh, made it to thredbo for the final week of the cannonball run but it snowed!
all began one rainy eve as hubby n I went out to investigate the 2001 mont to see what all the fuss was about ;)

BrumbyJack

Likes Dirt
Hey Maxine...

I'm still in winter mode ATM, but just came back from Canberra picking up the Princess's new roadie :cool:

We are in Canada from 30th December to 30th January.... looks like we get back a few days before the Chix weekend at Thredbo, so that may be a bit of a punish :eek: both physically and $$$$$.

We are off to the Scott 24 hour in 2 weeks, but apart from one brief ride for me, we haven't been on bikes all winter (since July).

South Shore will be doing MTB for sport next term (Brendan) but I think Siobhan is going to do triathlon... I'm not actually sure I want her doing DH before we go to Canada, I've spent too much $$$$ for her to get an injury prior to departure. Silly thing is her worst crashes to date have been on the road:confused:

mtbmamma

Likes Dirt
Hey Maxine...

I'm still in winter mode ATM, but just came back from Canberra picking up the Princess's new roadie :cool:

We are in Canada from 30th December to 30th January.... looks like we get back a few days before the Chix weekend at Thredbo, so that may be a bit of a punish :eek: both physically and $$$$$.

We are off to the Scott 24 hour in 2 weeks, but apart from one brief ride for me, we haven't been on bikes all winter (since July).

South Shore will be doing MTB for sport next term (Brendan) but I think Siobhan is going to do triathlon... I'm not actually sure I want her doing DH before we go to Canada, I've spent too much $$$$ for her to get an injury prior to departure. Silly thing is her worst crashes to date have been on the road:confused:
We will be in Thredbo from the 8th of December so we should see you then. We are down for the Nationals and hopefully Jared will do another camp for Osc to join. We haven't been off bikes all winter, did you see my new bike on post your ride. She is very pretty and forgiving I love her and love riding trails with her.

I take it you are off to Canada for skiing camps? Keep in touch.:D

MTB-ChiK

Likes Dirt
Hi I'm Jo, nice to see other chick riders on here...and some around my age too :eek: and I thought I was all alone!

Riding since: DHMTBing since May this year but have been riding most of my life with breaks in between (not the bone type, yet)
Bike: '04 Ironhorse SGS Team, '99 GT Xc/street type dually
Ride: Extinct volcanos... about to do my first race at the Bluff down here in the 'Mount'. Had a few practice runs already and went over the bars last weekend at the road gap. Oh what fun it was. My fave spot is Marist Park
Style: DH & street with a bit of xc pedaling occasionally
Day job: Own Business/Sandboarder - I make sandboards & stuff... www.oceanculture.com

Thats about it :p

Last edited:

mtbmamma

Likes Dirt
Hi I'm Jo, nice to see other chick riders on here...and some around my age too :eek: and I thought I was all alone!

Riding since: DHMTBing since May this year but have been riding most of my life with breaks in between (not the bone type, yet)
Bike: '04 Ironhorse SGS Team, '99 GT Xc/street type dually
Ride: Extinct volcanos... about to do my first race at the Bluff down here in the 'Mount'. Had a few practice runs already and went over the bars last weekend at the road gap. Oh what fun it was. My fave spot is Marist Park
Style: DH & street with a bit of xc pedaling occasionally
Day job: Own Business/Sandboarder - I make sandboards & stuff... www.oceanculture.com

Thats about it :p
Welcome Jo,

No you're not alone, thats me age wise!!!! Sounds great riding extinct volcanos, really interesting. Love unusual stuff!!

I tend not to go over the bars, usually I high side it. Thats fun too.????!!:eek:

Hope there are more girls from SA out there.:)

Last edited:

MTB-ChiK

Likes Dirt
Hi mtbmamma,

Yeah it was was my first real stack on my 'Horse... but the Bluff is a steeper, more technical track and it was also very slippery conditions (unlike Marist where I normally ride) ... All my other stacks have been on my GT and on sandboards!

I'm hoping to meet the rest of the competing SA girls (all 3 or 4 of them i think :eek: ) Wish there was a bigger following for it but I happily get along with the guys and I never have issues with our local boys. Everyone's pretty laid back here.

Mount Gambier forms part of the worlds 'crater lakes' regions... Where we have one extinct volcano full of bright blue water! There's also a swimming hole that has the same blue (called 'Little Blue' for obvious reasons)

If you've never been to this side of Oz its definitely worth a trip over and our local DH track is pretty cool too. The runs are not overly long, but if you're into xc there are heaps of longer trails to ride too.

Well, nice to meet you!

roxy12

Fat Tyre Flyers
hey jo,

welcome! are you going to be at gambier this weekend?

Over the bar stacks are the best! ihe had a few but ive got the whole flip and land on your feet down now for when I try new things!:D

MTB-ChiK

Likes Dirt
hey jo,

welcome! are you going to be at gambier this weekend?

Over the bar stacks are the best! ihe had a few but ive got the whole flip and land on your feet down now for when I try new things!:D
Hey Roxy,

Thanks for the welcome :)
Wow, a flip and land? I'll have to learn that one!
Yes, I'll be in Mt Gambier this weekend... are you coming over for the DH comp??

mtbdh_girl

Likes Dirt
Hi. Name is Cindie, live in Doncaster, Vic and am 27. Have been floating around mtb for a few years now, although not much for the last couple of years, just sorta keeping an eye on the scene, without any involvement. Was a mod for this site when it first started up for a while, mostly to post Vic news. Used to be on FTF committee, me and my (non-riding) other half used to help out alot at all of the Fatties DH and 4X stuff. Broke my hand pretty badly though which halted riding and income for a while, so I sorted dropped away for a while. Still have alot of trouble with gripping bars etc.

Had a Craftworks dual when I used to race but converted the parts across to a Cove Stiffee SL after the dualie got damaged when I crashed. Don't ride it much at the mo, mostly cos I hate riding on my own, and don't know anyone who rides (although I am paying of a Norco for my hubby as a Bday pressie so will be riding again by October YAY!!!).
Current occupation(s): Mum to a 5yo girl, studying business degree, startiing a graduate traineeship as a project office consultant iin 2 weeks (so there goes all my time!!)

Anyway, its amazing how many girls there are out there these days!!! I'll have to try and stay a biit more active from now on!!!

roxy12

Fat Tyre Flyers
Hey Roxy,

Thanks for the welcome :)
Wow, a flip and land? I'll have to learn that one!
Yes, I'll be in Mt Gambier this weekend... are you coming over for the DH comp??
I am indeedy.
Il be in the fluro pink gear......have to say hi and have a chat.:D

MTB-ChiK

Likes Dirt
Hey Cindy,

Sorry to hear about your injury :( I worry about seriously hurting myself when I ride - I rely on my fitness to be able to work as I'm self employed & have a business to run. Plus I'm getting OLD, LOL. Still, the thrill of flying down a hill outweighs the concern most of the time... I just have to be on the conservative side of gung ho!

Roxy! I'll spot you a mile away in that pink!!! Are you racing hard tail or dually? I'm pretty excited to meet a rider from Vic since the others will all be from Adelaide. This is going to be a great weekend I know it. Except my man won't be here to watch me race (he's offroad racing on 4 wheels somewhere near Port Pirie!)

roxy12

Fat Tyre Flyers
Roxy! I'll spot you a mile away in that pink!!! Are you racing hard tail or dually? I'm pretty excited to meet a rider from Vic since the others will all be from Adelaide. This is going to be a great weekend I know it. Except my man won't be here to watch me race (he's offroad racing on 4 wheels somewhere near Port Pirie!)
dualy, i have a white morewood izimu with pink stickers:D yeh im excited to meet some other girl riders, we dont have as many as you guys do! see you in a couple days!

pft 4 wheels lol

roxy12

Fat Tyre Flyers
Broke my hand pretty badly though which halted riding and income for a while, so I sorted dropped away for a while. Still have alot of trouble with gripping bars etc.

I had the same kind of thing happen to me last year in november, cant use normal shifters anymore, nor open jars, or milk (my teath are going to be deastroyed) I think I was lucky my employer let me stay on while I could do basicaly nothing. Hand gets saw after a day of rideing and falling on it well thats some real pain!

mtbmamma

Likes Dirt
Hey Cindy,

Sorry to hear about your injury :( I worry about seriously hurting myself when I ride - I rely on my fitness to be able to work as I'm self employed & have a business to run. Plus I'm getting OLD, LOL. Still, the thrill of flying down a hill outweighs the concern most of the time... I just have to be on the conservative side of gung ho!

Hey Cindy,

Welcome, sad to hear about the hand injury. Seems to be a not uncommon thing. My husband did the same thing skiing which put a real downer on his motorbike and mountain bike riding. I also did the same thing with my thumb. Takes ages to get over and makes mtbing quite uncomfortable at times.

Good luck and welcome. There is nothing wrong with 4 wheels, I love both, 4 and two wheels, especially love engines and two wheels. :D

inko

Squid
bike: trek3700
riding since: 2003? but mainly riding to uni. haven't been really riding off-road much - mainly cause don't know who to ride with :(
job: architecture student/maths tutor

tu plang

knob
Ayo Inko. Which uni are you studying at?

If you are looking for people to ride with, specifically other girls, it'd be worth while having a chat to Tony at TC's at Taringa (shameless plug :eek: .) He organises rides to get girls out there to meet up etc and help them with their skills.

Hes just gone to the US for interbike but drop in in a few weeks if you're keen.

Emziie

Squid
name: Emily but call me Em
bike: Da Bomb Molotov (getting built up by my brother)
riding since: about 2005...

mtbmamma

Likes Dirt
name: Emily but call me Em
bike: Da Bomb Molotov (getting built up by my brother)
riding since: about 2005...
Hey Emziie,

Welcome, I hope to hear more from you. We need more up and coming young girls. We have a couple of girls who race and are 12 and 15 so hopefully both you and your brother will join in and race some club races. Tell Mum and Dad what a great bunch we are, I am a Mum of a 14 year old boy who races and the boys and girls who race are great as are the parents. Everyone is friendly.

Hope to see you around.:D

Emziie

Squid
My brother rides for WSMTB and does DH and 4x, but I played weekend sports. I'm hoping to race in the next 4x round.