Inverse beater project - even uglier!

Rik

logged out
What's the philosophy behind 29"?
Big wheels keep on turning, proud mary keeps on burning... rolling, rolling, rolling less resistance ;)

Well done guys, you're already on to some of my ideas :)
some "Save the Whales" stickers
Hell yeah, and every other stinking lefty hippy shit sticker I can find.
novelty air horn
A bright pink honka hoota will more than suffice.
Mud guards are great - they protect you from the wets *and* make your bike look like shite... A bolt-up front axle ain't a bad idea
For sure, big full length mudguards are sitting on my lounge waiting for this to happen. Boltup axles are a must, if I can fit/fabricate solid cromo units I will otherwise allen key skewers will be good enough.
I've got one word for you, racks!
Good thinking, it'll increase the practicality too.
As for ghetto-factor. I suggest a few layers of paint, dull reds, browns, maybe some black. Then, go and scrape back some parts so random colours are showing
That's the main idea and the most fun will be had doing so :D I have a big box full of different coloured paint, this weekend I'll be coating the bike in many layers and waiting until it can dry before going nuts with wire brush and flapwheel in a drill.

Thanks for the input guys! I definitely don't want to reduce practicality in any way so some things will have to be overlooked, but it appears we all have similar ideas as to what makes a crap looking bike ;)

Sam.

Eats Squid
Make sure that like most 12 and 13 year olds that you spray around 5 cm from the frame, the more runs the better:cool: Make sure you don't forget plastic pedals.

Ty

Eats Squid
as far as useful and ghetto goes - reflectors, racks are a good start, but to really put people off - a mustache bar is a must, they look dumb, not quite 'racer', not quite mtb, but really are useable in the real world, they offering a bunch of hand positions, get you down out of the wind when you need to crank it out and but leaves you in a comfortable position.

that and a fix gear (if you can deal with that, not good for ridind drunk)

norco01

Likes Dirt
for something completely useless, that will also get some laughs if you dont live near the coast. Throw some surfboard racks on it, painted greend and gold, seen it before and it looks mint.

I'd ride any bike with them on it, if i was at the coast.

t

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Haha, nice! You are a wobbler!

What's the philosophy behind 29"? Faster, smoother, easier to pedal? What the story?
it puts you 3" higher so you have 3" further to fall when your wobbling home :p

yeah the racks on the back are a perfect for it, you can double a drunk mate home or a fine lass on the back:D
If your going to dink you really want Pegs too, maybey some old anodized purple ones

sawtell

The Great White Rooks Hunter
hahahaha ive got/had a fair shair of half decent bikes that have been made look shit.. worst bit was, i was so used to it not getting stolen i left it out front of my house and good bye full 105 groupset... :(

nothing beats a clogged up spray can nib, that when you spray it it comes out in blobs every where.

rhysrhysbaby

Eats Squid
if it hasnt been mentioned already, how about a baby seat on the back?
you could put your bag/computer whatever else you carry to work in there

FR Drew

Not a custom title.
Actually if you're going to get fenders then hitting up your local tip recycling place and gettign some old ones with a few rust pinholes here and there would be more of a deterrent than brand newys.

Very pleased to see that Hidesy's paint job got a mention. Black/grey that's badly applied over a mottled orange, yellow, green or blue base coat with scratching to expose the underlying colour in spots, especially high wear areas like chainstays and where you lean against poles would be a move in the direction of crap.

The gloss black bits (cranks, brakes, seatpost, hubs etc) need a bit of scratching up and abuse to stop them looking so glossy.

Cloth bar tape in a pale colour that soaks up grime till it's manky and greyish brown would help.

Carlin

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Actually good 29'ers have the same BB height as a 26'... but I still don't think they have the low speed handling you want to ride home from the pub :p
Rik does not ride home from the pub at "low speed"...;)