Jet Black 24 Hours 2011

mcdoned

Likes Dirt
Were there any solo females? there seems to be no mention....
Jacqui Kennett was going well on the first afternoon, but probably suffered in the heat with everyone else and pulled the pin. There was a good showing in the 6 + 6 with Belinda Porter taking the win.

Anyone who rode solo out there showed some serious courage and determination. Inspiring stuff indeed..... it's hard to imagine tougher conditions than those first 6 hours for solo riding, but they just kept trooping on.

Thanks to Rocky Trail for a great event, good vibes all day and night!

chica

Likes Dirt
talking about girls

Our Silent Revolution Female Squad did exceptionally well given the conditions.

Overall and 24hr Female
Lap Hogs (24hr Team 4 Females) came 20th with 40 laps and also blitzed their category
SuperBeeros (24hr Team 2 Females) came 24th with 36 laps - Kris on her singlespeed and Bree in her first ever MTB event!
Sterling efforts girls!

6+6
Team of 2 Female - 1st,2nd,3rd and 4th positions
Team of 3 females - 1st place
Team of 2 mixed - 5th place
Great results!

Female Lap times
Day Laps - the SR girls took out 4 of the top 10 (Caty taking the fastest day lap)
Night laps - the SR girls took out 16 of the top 20 laps (again Caty carving it up with the fastest)

thanks to our pit crew also who were kept busy all weekend.

Jason English - what a champion and a gentleman. No matter what time of the day he always said thank you as you let him (and others) pass - his mum should be proud of his good manors ;)

The 6+6 was a good alternative for those wanting to ease their way into a new year.

we took a temp measurement bwtn 4-5pm on Saturday under a massive tree we had camped under and it read 39.9 degrees. These were very testing conditions, many of us made the decision not to ride in the heat but some of our squad were just super human and kept on churning out the laps.

There were a few stacks, probably due to the mind not being 100% as people were suffering from the heat.

it was good to see riders showing concern for other riders who were impacted by the conditions

I'd hate to see the colour of that pool today! I think they will need to drain it and give it a good clean out!

Last edited:

spikenet

Likes Dirt
The Pink first aid team were using honey (Capilano not homebrand in case you were interested) as an antibacterial agent under the bandages (where most people would normally use betadine) he said science suggested that was the most appropriate course of action... can anybody comment?
Good to hear traditional wisdom making a comeback into first-aid
Some info: http://www.dermnetnz.org/treatments/honey.html
I would imagine you can use honey with "Tegaderm" for the wet healing method of road rash..

Congrats to all those that completed the event. Certainly takes a different approach to race management to deal with those extreme conditions! Easy on the bike but hard on the engine!

Last edited:

trailbunny

Rocky Trail Entertainment
Our Silent Revolution Female Squad did exceptionally well given the conditions.

Overall and 24hr Female
Lap Hogs (24hr Team 4 Females) came 20th with 40 laps and also blitzed their category
SuperBeeros (24hr Team 2 Females) came 24th with 36 laps - Kris on her singlespeed and Bree in her first ever MTB event!
Sterling efforts girls!
Not a very "silent" female revolution" out there! Well done to all the racing chicks at Del Rio - I just added up the numbers, we had almost 20% of women racing! wooohoooo! you rock, girls! I'm still in awe of you and can't believe, how many laps you completed!

Jason English - what a champion and a gentleman. No matter what time of the day he always said thank you as you let him (and others) pass - his mum should be proud of his good manors ;)
that's so true - you should have seen the grin on the junior racer's face at 2am, when I asked how come his lap time was almost the same as Jason's, who had just come through a few seconds before, "I just rode with him for half the lap and we had a chat on the hill climb...man, he's the world champion" - and then he bunny-hopped towards the transition zone! "that's exactly, why I'm awake for at 2am", I thought.

I'd hate to see the colour of that pool today! I think they will need to drain it and give it a good clean out!
it was very warm, but sooooo relaxing, when martin and I water-bombed into it, yesterday at 6pm... ;-)

mrc

Likes Bikes
The singletrack was great fun, and provided enough challenge to keep it interesting. The facilities were top notch and the event well organised and super friendly (staff/riders/spectators) The weather was a real challenge and made for a memorable weekend. Camping was fun, and beers in between the two 6 hour stints of riding tasted better than ever.

But while I had quite a fun weekend, I just don't know if I'd go back next year. Simply way too much time spent on sealed roads and the smooth dirt roads. Just didn't feel right having ridden 4.5 of 8.6km before hitting any proper MTB terrain, and then the last km or so being sealed also.

Which was a shame, because everything else about the event was really good.

spudatm

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The singletrack was great fun, and provided enough challenge to keep it interesting. The facilities were top notch and the event well organised and super friendly (staff/riders/spectators) The weather was a real challenge and made for a memorable weekend. Camping was fun, and beers in between the two 6 hour stints of riding tasted better than ever.

But while I had quite a fun weekend, I just don't know if I'd go back next year. Simply way too much time spent on sealed roads and the smooth dirt roads. Just didn't feel right having ridden 4.5 of 8.6km before hitting any proper MTB terrain, and then the last km or so being sealed also.

Which was a shame, because everything else about the event was really good.

Firstly well done to RTE on the event it was excellent. It was so good to have a dry 24 and whilst a litte cooler weather would have been appreciated everything else was top notch.
Mrc the del rio track recieves the same criticism every year however whilst Del Rio is not my favourite track I think its the perfect venue for the race. What other track in Oz has cabins a pool a putt putt course play equipment a canteen a bar and a Bistro, There is simply no other venue in Sydney that is capable of hosting the event let alone with the same facilities. In regards to the track I agree to an extent however many of us here regular pay $100+ to do the dirtworks 50 or 100 and that has about 20kms of dirt road in it.
From my understanding and the RTE guys might be able to shed more light but Del Rio is a work in progress and a route has been found that could remove the big climb or most of it but it will take a lot of work to get it going.

Knopey

Likes Dirt
Great RTE event as always. Far out brussel sprout - it was a tad warm!

Specifically great things:
- All the Solo's that kept pedaling deserve a medal - nutso!
- Great to see the biggest turn out of female riders at a RTE event ever apparently
- Great to see the effort the organisers and volunteers went to to try and keep the riders cool (two ice stops and two sprinklers on the hill, woo!)
- Great to get a 28'something lap on Sunday morning (sure it's not fast for most people but I was stoked)
- My brother in law over-achieved his personal distance goal, as well as getting 3rd in age group solo. Woo!
- Trail manners were excellent from everyone as usual :)
- I got away with a massive rag-doll OTB incident through the creek on Sat arvo with some very minor bruising and that's all, somehow. I owe someone/something a really big beer I think... and myself a new helmet.
- Transitioning right next to the river - cooler than the pool!

The only downside and it's no one's fault but it's a shame the weather was so hot because for our group it was a struggle as far as the "family event" side of things went. Even too hot for the kids to do the kid's race... Them's the breaks!

Muninjitsu

Cannon Fodder
What a race. I road solo single speed Municycle category. I felt like giving up after the first lap, the heat up the climb was intense. My heart rate was peaking as were a majority of riders I imagine.
I managed to get another lap in Sunday afternoon which was much more enjoyable. The shade on the fire trail made a huge difference. The organisers gave us the option of the top fire road, cutting out the middle single track, with less traffic and restriction of us holding up fellow riders. It was better for us as we could get into a better rhythm with a nice big down hill linking back to the single track.
Rob and I were most impressed with the courtesy and respect from other riders, all of which should be proud of themselves.
I managed 5 laps while Rob pumped out 7 on his two speed Muni.
Thanks to the organisers for a very well run event, we intend coming back for some more punishment next year.

Slezoj

Likes Dirt
Jet Black24

What a great event by RTE. We have really enjoyed this weekend at Del Rio. I always hated this track and couldn't understand why is RTE still holding this race there. Finally I do understand!!!! After a lap, jumped into the pool, had icy cold drink (beer)from kiosk, availability to buy bag of ice (which was really needed) and than get back into air-conditioned cabin.

For me the hardest thing at this race was driving back home without falling a sleep :D

Well Done Rocky Trail

Last edited:

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Simply way too much time spent on sealed roads and the smooth dirt roads. Just didn't feel right having ridden 4.5 of 8.6km before hitting any proper MTB terrain, and then the last km or so being sealed also.
I hadn't ridden there before and agree with this. I was disappointed with the track, even the first part of the singletrack. That could have had the sand removed quite easily and quickly for a one off race to provide a firm surface for some fast singletrack. Sure, some of the sand probably would have come back by the end of the race, but at least you'd remember how nice it was for most of the event. The facilities were pretty good, except the "barramundi" burger at the kiosk, and it is a great venue to have an event like that but I left after two laps, bored with the track and quite happy to have a comfortable night at home.

Jandrew

Squid
First time for me at the track and only 3rd race over all.. I enjoyed myself imensely. My mates and I did the solo 6 + 6, while they smashed me in over all laps I am still very happy to manage 11 laps over the weekend. I had a nice new jersey for the day, a long sleave one so I did not get sun burnt.. By the end of Saturday I was starting to wonder if it was worth getting sunburnt to cool down a bit!! Sunday was a bit cooler on the hill thank goodness, however I stuggled big time at lap 5 so called it a day then, I came to the conculsion that it is not worth getting heat stroke for another lap.

Congrats to everyone who stuck it out or even did one lap, it was so soo hot that it was no suprise people were affected. One of my mates (he entered solo 24hr) went down on the hill and thank goodness for the people around him who stopped, helped and got First Aid.. He pushed on later in the day and Sunday morning to equal me in laps, was a huge effort.

I think RTE put on a great show and will be back next year!!

Kris_on_1

Likes Dirt
Once again, an amazing weekend with some brilliant, generous, supportive and talented women - who'd have ever thought we'd be having a girls weekend racing bikes! You girls rock.

I loved the venue, having the river and pool were a god-send. The volunteers were fantastic with their offers of water and encouragement. Having ridden the worlds course at Stromlo, it had it's mix of long firetrail climbs and even a bit of tarmac, so I didn't mind the course.

Highlights
1. the look on my team mate's face when I told her she'd have to finish the last four hours on her own - totally priceless and I'm sorry I did that to you.
2. the look on Jason's face as he dusted himself off - honestly I didn't push him over.
3. my bowl of soup at stupid o'clock - Matt you're the best and again, thanks for the loan of the bike, you haven't converted me to gears but you have me thinking about it.
4. the amount of women out there over the weekend, its so good to see so many enjoying themselves.
5. track etiquette, incredibly polite and no "hot heads".

Lowlights
1. my bike - you've got minimal parts, how dare you pack it in on me!
2. getting so overheated that my body developed the shakes and goosebumps.

New lessons learnt from this one, which is always a good thing.

Thanks RTE, I'll be back