Latest eMTB tech

Oddjob

Eats Squid
Lost me at cvt lol. But I would have thought that one of the first things to go with a decent mid drive ebike would be the derailleur. Single pivots are the other thing that I would think match an ebike well. When you have more power, you don't really care for pedal bob. It also allows you to run a carbon belt making the back end much cleaner and ditching any sort of tensioning all together.
Assuming the belt holds up. A motorbike style o-ring chain would be better.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Calvin27

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Assuming the belt holds up. A motorbike style o-ring chain would be better.
The bearings are more the issue. Belt drives require higher tension but from my experience on a commuter, I rekon they'd do ok on a mtb.

The point was however that ebikes haven't really explored what the benefits could be. Simple benefis like getting rid of the rd for example.

Nambra

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sort of where I was going @Calvin27, but why restrict this to ebikes only? Ok, on a non -ebike you might need a battery to run the electronics that governs the gearbox ratio, but that's no different to etap / di2 etc. It's whether the CVT functionality can be separated from the motor that I was speculating on. If so, then it could be an alternative to fixed gear ratio pinion gearboxes on bikes like @Zaf's Nicolai. Instead of rigid mechanical gearing, the CVT plus electronics could give you any virtual gearbox setup you like.

Reactions: Zaf

Zaf

Gearbox Frother
If they can make a Pinion gearbox work, I'm sure a self powered CVT would be possible. It should be simpler once you remove the battery and motor as well, as you only need to put a single power input shaft into the design (instead of both a crank and battery/motor augment).

Calvin27

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm sure a self powered CVT would be possible.
That would be like a nuvinci. Defniately do-able. My read is that the electronics are there to sell their 'maintain cadence' stuff (effectively like and auto trans?!!).

Reactions: Zaf