Light Bicycle Carbon Rims/Wheels (Review Included on 1st Post))

GRPABT1

Likes Dirt
Picked up my Envygo wheels from the freight mob today. They look to be of good quality with no visible defects. 1501 grams all up exactly. I'll report back once I get them mounted.
OK update time on this. After a few rides including some pretty big drop offs and many rocks I noticed some issues with the free hub on my Envygo wheels and on inspection I discovered the hub body had actually cracked in half all the way around the hub. Envygo sent me out another which I had to get fitted at my own cost at my local bike shop who discovered the spokes were overly tight at 140lb probably helping crack the hub. I did not even get one ride on the new hub before discovering it slipping under load just testing in my front yard. Have since sent them back and got a full refund and ordered a set of Zelvy 35mm downhill rims laced to Hope pro 2 evo hubs from my local bike shop. The 2 year warranty was the selling point for me after being disappointed by Envygo. Envygo had offered me a development program deal and promised half price on a new set of wheels but hadn't yet found a new hub supplier and couldn't give me a time frame. I hope they get their bugs ironed out as the rims themselves were actually quite good and Michael the owner is a decent bloke. Keen to try the wider Zelvy's though, I almost bought the 40mm but my lbs bloke was concerned about frame clearance for the tyres.

ChopSticks

Banned
Had to actually google them
http://www.envygo.com

What hubs are they? As there's no mention on the site....

at that pricepoint I would've just bought from light bicycle with hope hubs and trusted the hundreds of positive reviews!

Guess the only good thing about them are 'local' and were able to refund you!

crim 87

Likes Dirt
is there much difference if you go 28/h or 32/h and is there much difference the pillar aero and the dt swiss comp spokes ??

billymtb

Likes Dirt
I can't see any specific downhill rims? only rims (650b) labelled for all mountain freeride downhill. Where are the seperate rims for downhill vs AM

teK--

Eats Squid
I can't see any specific downhill rims? only rims (650b) labelled for all mountain freeride downhill. Where are the seperate rims for downhill vs AM
It's the 35mm "AM" rim just select DH option when ordering they add a few more layers of carbon so it's stronger.

SaabG

Likes Dirt
Alloy nipples are fine on alloy rims but the main advantage of carbon rims is the fact that they are strong enough to handle more spoke tension and this build a stiffer wheel. Alloy nipples IMHO can't handle that extra spoke tension so I run brass nipples. I laced my rims up around a year ago and they've copped an absolute beating but are close to being as straight as the day I laced them. Brass nipples for the win.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
The problem with aluminium nipples isn't so much the strength or lack thereof of them, but rather the fact that carbon and aluminium are highly electrolytically reactive, resulting in severe corrosion problems - your nipples will literally fall apart!

I used to work with a wheelbuilding firm in Melbourne (road & triathlon, with only a passing flirtation with MTB wheels), and we were very particular about smothering the nipples with grease to resist the corrosion as much as possible. I do see a few of these wheels through my workshop with exploded nipples, but they certainly hold up better than some others who clearly aren't so thorough with their preparation.

That said, I will still never use aluminium nipples in my own carbon wheels.

Additionally, aluminium doesn't agree particularly well with stainless steel either, and most spokes these days are stainless. All adds up to aluminium nipples being A Really Bad Choice.

Last edited:

crim 87

Likes Dirt
awsome cheers guys thanks for clearing that up for me is it worth going the 32/h for extra strength ?? and also are the pillar aero or the dt swiss comp options both available with brass nipples ??

madstace

Likes Dirt
awsome cheers guys thanks for clearing that up for me is it worth going the 32/h for extra strength ?? and also are the pillar aero or the dt swiss comp options both available with brass nipples ??
I reckon they'd be fine to go with the 28h option. If you are worried about strength, you'd probably be better off opting for the reinforced version. I would have gone 28h but I cheaped out and went with the Novatec hubs which they only do in 32h.

They do brass nips but only in silver finish, which turned out to look awesome against the carbon. Based on the documented issues of carbon rims and alloy nips, there was no way I was using anything other than brass.

EDIT: Touchwood, haven't had any issues with the Pillar aero spokes yet either.

crim 87

Likes Dirt
awsome yeah cheers pal i'm not fussed on nipple color to as long as they don't explode how are your wheels holding up ??

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
Alloy nipples are fine on alloy rims but the main advantage of carbon rims is the fact that they are strong enough to handle more spoke tension and this build a stiffer wheel. Alloy nipples IMHO can't handle that extra spoke tension so I run brass nipples. I laced my rims up around a year ago and they've copped an absolute beating but are close to being as straight as the day I laced them. Brass nipples for the win.
I just had a aluminum nipple pop and snap the head off in a not very old wheel. Was a Sapim Nipple. Not sure if it was due to high tension(was higher than I normally build)or because it was Sapim. I replaced it with a DT aluminum and will se what happens. Will replace them with Titanium nipples from now on.

The problem with aluminium nipples isn't so much the strength or lack thereof of them, but rather the fact that carbon and aluminium are highly electrolytically reactive, resulting in severe corrosion problems - your nipples will literally fall apart!
I used to work with a wheelbuilding firm in Melbourne (road & triathlon, with only a passing flirtation with MTB wheels), and we were very particular about smothering the nipples with grease to resist the corrosion as much as possible. I do see a few of these wheels through my workshop with exploded nipples, but they certainly hold up better than some others who clearly aren't so thorough with their preparation.
Additionally, aluminium doesn't agree particularly well with stainless steel either, and most spokes these days are stainless. All adds up to aluminium nipples being A Really Bad Choice.
I prepped my nipples(Ally) with dry lube(wax) will see how it holds up.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
....also are the pillar aero or the dt swiss comp options both available with brass nipples ??
We used Pillar at the wheelbuilding firm I worked for; they're pretty similar to the DTs in terms of stretchiness (sounds weird to think of steel spokes as stretchy, but they are!). They don't come with nipples (at least in the quantities we got them in didn't), but DTs typically come with ally nips. Either way you'll probably have to buy a box of brass nipples, which won't cost much.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
I just had a aluminum nipple pop and snap the head off in a not very old wheel. Was a Sapim Nipple. Not sure if it was due to high tension(was higher than I normally build)or because it was Sapim.
How's the thread insertion? If the spokes are a bit short & don't screw right up into the head of the nipples, they will blow the heads off. Even brass will do it, but it's less likely.

iUDEX_nCr

Likes Dirt
BOYS!!!! Need some help!

Just bought a park truing stand as it popped up cheap, and figured wheel building will be the next thing to learn!

I don't have any spoke wrenches (only the big shitty circular one that comes with cheap tool kits) and wanted to know if anyone can help me confirm what size or better still... what colour Park spoke wrench fits onto the LB alloy nipples (Pillar nipples?)

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/au/en/park-tool-spoke-wrench-sw/rp-prod17510

and if possible, can anyone also confirm the nipple size used on those hope hoops off wiggle/crc too please :)

dont want to buy all 4 just yet... and want to buy what I need for now !

Dude, probably too late now... but spoke keys are handy to have on the trail, but if you are building a wheel it's MUCH easier with one of these:
https://www.google.com/search?q=spo...a=X&ei=py7jVOyCL8-C8gWpnIGIAg&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAg

A nipple screwdriver, but wait... I'm guessing you got UST's? in which case you're stuck with a spoke key :(

jda

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I got some Nextie 35mm external width rims today, all mountain with 3k gloss finish. Some custom graphics getting done on Monday to match my new bike which is being built next week.

Psimpson7

Likes Dirt
I got some Nextie 35mm external width rims today, all mountain with 3k gloss finish. Some custom graphics getting done on Monday to match my new bike which is being built next week.

Got anymore pics of the rims? Maybe an overall image?

What do you think of them quality wise?

thanks

jda

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Got anymore pics of the rims? Maybe an overall image?

What do you think of them quality wise?

thanks
Visually they look excellent, its very hard to find the join. The gloss does make it a little hard to photograph.

I'll report back on what the wheel builder thinks although I was recommended Nextie over some of the other Chinese carbon wheels based on their experience building wheels.