Light Bicycle Carbon Rims/Wheels (Review Included on 1st Post))

teK--

Eats Squid
Anyone check their LB wheels (with alloy nips?)

I had to replace my Stans tape as it was peeling off and I noticed that the inside of the nipples had little furry white balls stick on them. I thought it was chunks of Stans sealant. Scraped some off with a screwdriver and it felt like powder between my fingers. Reckon it's aluminium oxide.

These wheels are 4 months old and I don't live near the beach...

Are my wheels gonna explode?

Thinkin of gettin em re-built with brass nips at some stage. Is it a false economy to re-use the spokes (in terms of labour and parts?)

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Yes it's aluminium oxide. Your wheels won't expolde, but they will collapse if enough nipples explode at the same time.....

You should be fine to reuse current spokes with new nipples. Labour-wise it'll cost the same as (or bloody close to) as a full rebuild, but you save a couple of hundred in spokes.

ChopSticks

Banned
OHHH man you have me worried now!
I'm not 8 months into these wheels (still straight enough for me not to warrant truing them)

better open them up and check for corrosion... ohh fuck wait... I ordered the UST version..... FML :tape2:

teK--

Eats Squid
Thanks duck man I'm gonna go see astroboy after buller festival then.

Yeah chops there is cause to be worried particularly as your nips effectively in a sealed chamber aside from the nip holes so any water from washing etc Is just gonna get trapped In there. At least yours don't have exposure to sealant.

crim 87

Likes Dirt
We used Pillar at the wheelbuilding firm I worked for; they're pretty similar to the DTs in terms of stretchiness (sounds weird to think of steel spokes as stretchy, but they are!). They don't come with nipples (at least in the quantities we got them in didn't), but DTs typically come with ally nips. Either way you'll probably have to buy a box of brass nipples, which won't cost much.

is there much weight difference or strength between the 2 sets of spokes ??

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
I had to replace my Stans tape as it was peeling off and I noticed that the inside of the nipples had little furry white balls stick on them. I thought it was chunks of Stans sealant. Scraped some off with a screwdriver and it felt like powder between my fingers. Reckon it's aluminium oxide.

These wheels are 4 months old and I don't live near the beach...
Awww shiat. I wonder how it penetrates the aluminum or threads though? I'll ride mine out and see :pray: Hope they go one at a time and I can just replace them with ti ones.
I have had one ally nipple pop the head off, but not sure if it's related.

fitzroybikeco

Likes Dirt
Thanks duck man I'm gonna go see astroboy after buller festival then.

Yeah chops there is cause to be worried particularly as your nips effectively in a sealed chamber aside from the nip holes so any water from washing etc Is just gonna get trapped In there. At least yours don't have exposure to sealant.

He just built some up for me, really nice rims, no dramas yet. I had brass nipples. He has bee running anno red nipples for a wile with no issues.

russ

notime

Likes Dirt
Awww shiat. I wonder how it penetrates the aluminum or threads though? I'll ride mine out and see :pray: Hope they go one at a time and I can just replace them with ti ones.
I have had one ally nipple pop the head off, but not sure if it's related.
I've just pulled mine down after I cracked my rear 29" wide LB rim, all DT alloy nipples still perfect with well over 12 months of use. I used bontrager rim strips so about as good as barrier against the sealant as one can get.

Crack was my fault, tyre tore at speed on a rocky desent and I felt the life drain out of that rim as it pounded rock, I still rode it for a further 1 month with 2 cracks and some delamination.

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
I've just pulled mine down after I cracked my rear 29" wide LB rim, all DT alloy nipples still perfect with well over 12 months of use. I used bontrager rim strips so about as good as barrier against the sealant as one can get.

Crack was my fault, tyre tore at speed on a rocky desent and I felt the life drain out of that rim as it pounded rock, I still rode it for a further 1 month with 2 cracks and some delamination.
Thanks for the feedback man. I have a few different wheels built with them. Sapim ally nipple popped, I have DT nips on all the others I think.
It's not the sealant that causes the corrosion but electolosis(sp?) like on a car battery terminal isn't it?
How'd you prep your nipples(both head/rim contact and thread)?

teK--

Eats Squid
He just built some up for me, really nice rims, no dramas yet. I had brass nipples. He has bee running anno red nipples for a wile with no issues.

russ
Thanks Russ

I think everyone's experience will vary but what is clear is that the alloy nips should be checked regularly if in carbon rims.

Since the Stans tape kept coming off I was thinking of using Gorilla clear repair tape, since everyone says it sticks like shit to a blanket, is totally waterproof, and the edge would not be pulled up by the tyre bead every time you open it up to change tyres or top up sealant. But before I do this I want to ensure that the nipples aren't going to be silently crumbling away.

notime

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the feedback man. I have a few different wheels built with them. Sapim ally nipple popped, I have DT nips on all the others I think.
It's not the sealant that causes the corrosion but electolosis(sp?) like on a car battery terminal isn't it?
How'd you prep your nipples(both head/rim contact and thread)?
That's my understanding as well but zero sign of it with the LB rims.
On the other hand I pulled down some near 4 year old Anthem 29er wheels on Saturday and all the nipples had corroded really badly, a couple disintegrated under the spoke key and a few popped their heads.
I also used bontrager strip in those rims since new so I don't know what the deal is there.

I have a heap of little promo bottles of Squirt dry chain lube I got a few years back, I just use that for spoke prep.

timh

Likes Bikes
Seeing as a set of LB wheels will can come in at over 1k, has anybody been hit with import duty? or is LB nice enough to show a different price on the manifest..

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
Seeing as a set of LB wheels will can come in at over 1k, has anybody been hit with import duty? or is LB nice enough to show a different price on the manifest..
... I'm sure fudging the import value isn't beyond their expertise!

They are a good crowd to deal with....

teK--

Eats Squid
I just had them reduce the total value of the order on the customs paperwork, but ensured that it was an odd amount ;)

jda

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Designed some custom decals for my Nextie carbon rims to suit my new frame which is currently being built, came out looking pretty nice.