Light Bicycle Carbon Rims/Wheels (Review Included on 1st Post))

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
I'm interested in the Nexties also. I went into my new lbs and was offered a really great deal on some high end Seppo made rims but then figured out current hub/spokes weren't compatible. Apparently they were looking at bringing Nexties as an inhouse brand but bailed because the QC just wasn't up to scratch.

looks like Derbys or Zelvys for me.

(Currently on Flows-not EX)

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
Any suggestions for width to go for? They will be going on a 130mm/150mm GT Sensor to be ridden on trails, enduro racing and the odd light DH run.

Hopefully sub 1600g for total wheelset, and either 35mm external or 30mm external.
If you want to run agressive tyres like HighRoller 2s, I'd go 30mm probably. I have 35s on my 26" DH bike, and they're great with 2.5 Maxxis HRs. But the 35s on my 27 and 29ers are dud, hte narrower agressive tyres just make a square profile. Fine if you're running Nobby Nics or Ardents as I now am. But I'd get 30mm rims too run 2.3High Roller 2s or the like.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Strange ^^^ I have a mate who bought 35mm rims for his SS and cant run 2.2/2.25 on them as there are no knobs on the side, its all sidewall. Yet 30mm rims are fine with 2.2 tyres.

teK--

Eats Squid
If you want to run agressive tyres like HighRoller 2s, I'd go 30mm probably. I have 35s on my 26" DH bike, and they're great with 2.5 Maxxis HRs. But the 35s on my 27 and 29ers are dud, hte narrower agressive tyres just make a square profile. Fine if you're running Nobby Nics or Ardents as I now am. But I'd get 30mm rims too run 2.3High Roller 2s or the like.
I found even with 30mm that 2.3 HR2 are too squared so when u lean over u are riding on sidewall.

Maxxis need to make wider exo carcass.

SummitFever

Eats Squid
...But the 35s on my 27 and 29ers are dud, hte narrower agressive tyres just make a square profile
I found even with 30mm that 2.3 HR2 are too squared so when u lean over u are riding on sidewall...
I've found exactly the same thing. Some tyres that I like on 21mm rims are actually worse performers on 28mm inner rims (Syntace W35's). I really dislike the feel of transitioning onto the the squirmy side knobs when a tyre is too squared off. For the super wide rims to be any good they will need tyres specifically designed for them.

No Skid Marks

Strange ^^^ I have a mate who bought 35mm rims for his SS and cant run 2.2/2.25 on them as there are no knobs on the side, its all sidewall. Yet 30mm rims are fine with 2.2 tyres.
Works for me. Profile is about the same as a High Roller 2 etc on narrow rim. First pic is Ardent Race 2.2, second is Racing Ralph 2.2. As you can see sidewalls are not that bad. I mounted a Conitnental or something and the side walls were fatter than tread. Tread was still okay shape though. You need small outer knobs IMO.
IMG_7080.JPGIMG_7082.JPG

Maxxis need to make wider exo carcass.
Or shorter cornering knobs. These would flex less, gotta be better all round. You'd still get the fat rim stiffer tyre side wall too.

Last edited:

teK--

Eats Squid
I've found exactly the same thing. Some tyres that I like on 21mm rims are actually worse performers on 28mm inner rims (Syntace W35's). I really dislike the feel of transitioning onto the the squirmy side knobs when a tyre is too squared off. For the super wide rims to be any good they will need tyres specifically designed for them.
It's probably a matter of time before they start designing tyres this way. To design a new carcass and tool up for it I imagine to be more costly then new tread designs but surely they will catch up soon with the wide rim trend.

Rumor is Maxxis will have a 2.5 Exo carcass by Q3 this year.

teK--

Eats Squid
Works for me. Profile is about the same as a High Roller 2 etc on narrow rim. First pic is Ardent Race 2.5, second is Racing Ralph 2.2. As you can see sidewalls are not that bad. I mounted a Conitnental or something and the side walls were fatter than tread. Tread was still okay shape though. You need small outer knobs IMO.
View attachment 312144View attachment 312145

Or shorter cornering knobs. These would flex less, gotta be better all round. You'd still get the fat rim stiffer tyre side wall too.
That's the top side, unloaded. What about the side that contacts the ground surely the narrow tyre flattens out a lot more than a wider tyre, when fitted to a wide rim?

No Skid Marks

It's probably a matter of time before they start designing tyres this way. To design a new carcass and tool up for it I imagine to be more costly then new tread designs but surely they will catch up soon with the wide rim trend.

Rumor is Maxxis will have a 2.5 Exo carcass by Q3 this year.
They have skipped it releasing stupid dumb ass money grabbing + tyres. Hopefully + will die quickly and they'll make nicer small side knob rubberz.

That's the top side, unloaded. What about the side that contacts the ground surely the narrow tyre flattens out a lot more than a wider tyre, when fitted to a wide rim?
With 20psi+ pressures, I doubt I'd run out of tread cornering.

B Rabbit

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just priced a 27.5 set up $1090.....sweet! Oh shit, it's $1090 usd. That's $1300 Aud.

Ouch.

Oh well, as they say, when in Rome.........spend all your money on shit you don't need.

Ky1e

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've got a set of 35mm outer nextie's on the way, expect in about 6 weeks built by my builder and new HR2 2.3 & Ardent exo tyres sitting here waiting to go on.
These tyres I currently run on my flow ex's and I found that to be a pretty good combo width/profile wise.

Should I be looking at other tyres? the last few posts have cast doubt into my mind about these tyres on these rims.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
I've got a set of 35mm outer nextie's on the way, expect in about 6 weeks built by my builder and new HR2 2.3 & Ardent exo tyres sitting here waiting to go on.
These tyres I currently run on my flow ex's and I found that to be a pretty good combo width/profile wise.

Should I be looking at other tyres? the last few posts have cast doubt into my mind about these tyres on these rims.
Just run them and see how they go.

teK--

Eats Squid

Those HR2 will be absolutely no good on 35mm rims. I hated them on my 30mm ones. DHR2 were much beter.

But that is in my experience. Depending how you ride it may be different.

Ky1e

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Those HR2 will be absolutely no good on 35mm rims. I hated them on my 30mm ones. DHR2 were much beter.

But that is in my experience. Depending how you ride it may be different.
Hmm.. Thanks! What about magic Mary? Ever tried one?

teK--

Eats Squid
Hmm.. Thanks! What about magic Mary? Ever tried one?
Have one on front, awesome tyre. They just get chewed up quickly and you end up throwing it out with more than 50% tread remaining.

Waiting for a wider DHF or might try a Shorty.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
How would hookless make a difference to the problem described?
Depends on the type of damage, but there is a lot where the hook is where the damage is - without the hook they are also able to make the edge of the rim slightly thicker and therefore stronger.

More likely however, is wider carbon rims have a widespread belief that you can magically run lower pressures without a downside. What this gives is more rim strikes on a brittle material. Don't succumb to the hype, run the same pressures that you always have - rim strikes on carbon are bad.