Light Bicycle Carbon Rims/Wheels (Review Included on 1st Post))

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Not bored enough to count the ones on the subtle backdrop, just in case you missed who made the rims.

B Rabbit

Likes Bikes and Dirt
is there any performance difference between j-bend to straight pull spokes?

I had originally ordered j bends but they don't have the hubs so I've gone for straight pull instead.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
is there any performance difference between j-bend to straight pull spokes?

I had originally ordered j bends but they don't have the hubs so I've gone for straight pull instead.
Performance ...no.
Straight pull potentially lessen the chance of the spokes breaking at the weak point of the J bend.
Apart from that, they don't have any other benefits.
When building or truing wheels they can be a bastard to tension due to them spinning (especially if the nipple is seized).
They're harder to get spares for also as they're not as common so shop dont stock them.
On top of that, a lot of straight pull spokes are proprietory.

g-fish

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Performance ...no.
Straight pull potentially lessen the chance of the spokes breaking at the weak point of the J bend.
Apart from that, they don't have any other benefits.
When building or truing wheels they can be a bastard to tension due to them spinning (especially if the nipple is seized).
They're harder to get spares for also as they're not as common so shop dont stock them.
On top of that, a lot of straight pull spokes are proprietory.
The strength thing is worth mentioning again, because it is statistically significant. For an average rider it doesn't really matter as J-bend already experience a low level of failure. Bladed straight pull spokes with a bladed spoke holder will prevent the spinning. Like-for-like a straight pull hubset with straight pull spokes is lighter than a j-bend hubset with j-bend spokes.

A well designed straight pull hub allows the same length on both left/right and front/back. They are easier to replace as you don't have to take the cassette or disc off to remove spokes. They're also easier to thread through the wheel when you're replacing a spoke.

I'm just about to build a new set of off road touring wheels that will be straight pull because of the ease of replacement and the need to only carry one length spoke on a ride (rather than 4 for my old wheels).

I'm a big fan of straight pull spokes, you just have to know what you're getting yourself in for. I think they get a bad wrap because most propriety wheels use straight pull spokes (like DT Swiss tricon wheels which have 8 lengths of straight pull spoke per wheelset - I mean what the fuck!?!?!). But a wheel that uses standard straight pull spokes will build up to be technically better than an equivalent J-bend wheel.

redbruce

Eats Squid
The strength thing is worth mentioning again, because it is statistically significant. For an average rider it doesn't really matter as J-bend already experience a low level of failure.
So, your also saying its not actually statisically significant? Good, because that's the view of pro builders (just ask Greg at http://www.twebikewheels.com.au/)

But a wheel that uses standard straight pull spokes will build up to be technically better than an equivalent J-bend wheel.

At least one professional wheel builder disagrees https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pz6Ablf8DDY

g-fish

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I can't be bothered chasing it up, but I think Zipp released a white paper on the ultimate tensile strengths of straight and j-bend spokes a few years back. There is a significant difference between the two, however, the strength of J-bend spokes is already so high that it doesn't necessarily matter to most riders.

That video didn't disprove anything I said... It actually backed up everything I said?

When custom building a wheel, J-bend are still a better option for 95% of riders. But for someone looking for an absolute performance edge, or someone with specific needs (such as ease of replacement in remote locations like I've pointed out) straight pull do offer advantages.

redbruce

Eats Squid
I can't be bothered chasing it up, but I think Zipp released a white paper on the ultimate tensile strengths of straight and j-bend spokes a few years back. There is a significant difference between the two, however, the strength of J-bend spokes is already so high that it doesn't necessarily matter to most riders.

That video didn't disprove anything I said... It actually backed up everything I said?

When custom building a wheel, J-bend are still a better option for 95% of riders. But for someone looking for an absolute performance edge, or someone with specific needs (such as ease of replacement in remote locations like I've pointed out) straight pull do offer advantages.
Out of curiosity, what hubs and rims are you using to end up with the one length spoke all 'round. The few OEM disk wheels I own all use two lengths for the wheelset, as do most of the other 24 wheels I've built myself over the years (BMX wheels were the only ones to use a single common size).

g-fish

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Out of curiosity, what hubs and rims are you using to end up with the one length spoke all 'round. The few OEM disk wheels I own all use two lengths for the wheelset, as do most of the other 24 wheels I've built myself over the years (BMX wheels were the only ones to use a single common size).
The hubs are the stock hubs that come in Spank Oozy wheels. Not conventionally available aftermarket. They'll lace up with a single spoke length with any rim providing the rim is symmetrical.

Off the top of my head: extralite, Phil wood touring, American classic and some novatec straight pull build up well with only a single spoke length.

I also ride with a guy who's built a set of mismatched shimano hubs to velocity rims on his touring bike with the same length on front/back by using unconventional spoke patterns. From memory 4x on the front and a mixed 2x/3x on the back. That takes serious nerding though.

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
Damn I've had another Sapim Ally nipple pop the head off on mine. Been replacing with DT ally to see if they're better, but getting over it, replacing with titanium nipples now.
Hate my laziness as I'll only do one at a time when I know better. Time poor too.

higiff

Likes Dirt
Been running my LB 38mm DH rims here in whistler since the start of the season, I have around 170 laps on them, and a few races.
They have been great so far, I have bottomed out on them a couple of times to no damage, however I have now done this. Anyone think its any cause for concern? I have emailed LB and they are currently on a 3 day holiday.

1.jpg

2.jpg

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Nice gouge - get some epoxy or superglue into it. Fairly superficiali, and if it's a rock scrape then it won't go all the way through like a crack can

teK--

Eats Squid
I keep a bottle of clear nail polish for such scratches. Seems after most rides when I clean and check the wheels there is some new scratch or gouge. Just apot clean with alcohol first then brush it on. Needs to be re applied every couple of months as it wears off.

teK--

Eats Squid
P.s. that looks quite deep and maybe has penetrated the top layer of carbon? Need some better pics.

higiff

Likes Dirt
P.s. that looks quite deep and maybe has penetrated the top layer of carbon? Need some better pics.
I don't have any better pics as I have put some nail polish on it already.
It did look like there were one or two fibers that had split