Light Bicycle Carbon Rims/Wheels (Review Included on 1st Post))

Z

Zaf

I went through ebay, and it's the same same. You still choose all options and they contact you in the same manner, just through ebay.
If you can get the discount, do it.

Ideate

$1147 for 650b 38mm on hope hubs delivered to Melbourne using ebay 15% off. Is that any cheaper than normal though?

Edit: $1260 if ordered direct (I'm converting usd to aud?).

If that's the case then $100 off is better than nothing.

Edit: plus another 4% off using cash rewards if you're registered.

And a further $250 back if you recently signed up for a low rate CommBank credit card.

That makes it $852 delivered for :

27.5" 38mm wide
Version:Heavy DutyFinish:matteWeave:UDDecal:blackSpoke:DT Swiss CompetitionNipple:Brass BlackHub Brand:HopeHub Model:pro 2 evoFront axle:20*110Rear axle:12*150Freehub body:Shimano MTB 10/11SFront holes:32H J-bendRear holes:32H J-bendDisc system:6-boltHub Color:Black

Last edited:

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Ok, finished a mate's LB build as follows:

. Hope hubs, picked up for $303 a pair in a recent sale (Wiggle?)
. Light Bicycles 650B 24mm/30mm rims - these ones http://www.light-bicycle.com/carbon-mountain-bike-650b-rim-mtb-27-5-rim.html
. DT Swiss Competition spokes, 12mm brass nipples, 272mm all round (calcs say 271.8 through 273.3, go with length of highest tension sides), black (supplied by Summit Cycles)
. High tension side (drive side rear, disc front) of 120Kgf(+2), low tension side lightly less, Park Tools TM-1 to measure
. Stans 25mm tape, twice wrapped (three at spoke hole)
. Stans short valves, dab of silicon
. Two cups of Stans per wheel
. Maxxis Ardent EXO TR 2.4 front
. Maxxis Ixon EXO TR 2.2 rear
. Aired up with no Stans with a floor pump easily

Mate seems happy:

Will report on durability & any other issues as we go...

Last edited:

SF Trailboy

Likes Bikes and Dirt

. Light Bicycles 650B 24mm/30mm rims - these ones http://www.light-bicycle.com/carbon-mountain-bike-650b-rim-mtb-27-5-rim.html
. DT Swiss Competition spokes, 12mm brass nipples, 272mm all round (calcs say 271.8 through 273.3, go with length of highest tension sides), black (supplied by Summit Cycles)
. High tension side (drive side rear, disc front) of 120Kgf(+2), low tension side lightly less, Park Tools TM-1 to measure

Mate seems happy:

Nice - how much all up and how heavy?

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
$300 (hubs) + $540 (rims) + $160 (spokes/nipples). So that's a grand.

Didn't weigh 'em, but they are a lot lighter than the Easton's that were there before. They are light enough!

Mate seems happy:

A very nice 5010 you have
I think I have seen this bike in Kentlyn before :wave:

Ideate

These things are massive. I blew the tyre right off first time around on the compressor. Missus thought I blew the garage up. She shit herself. I'm used to having a higher wall and hook on my deemax and wasn't paying attention to the pressure.. Whoops?

CommBank finally credited me $250 so it all worked out pretty cheap. Time to cancel the card!

mitchy_

Llama calmer
38's look friggin huge!

i've put a couple of weeks on my 35's, absolutely in love with them. gave the 29er back the stiffness it was lacking. already peppered with stone chips/marks, but it's bound to happen with wide rims on a plow machine.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
The scratches and chips etc come with the wide rims versus tyres. Another reason why I think we've gone too far in the wide stakes. Motos have figured out not to go above 50%, yet super wides in Mtb have gone well above that. Might also be contributing to cracked rims - unsure if it's this or just too low a pressure.

Z

Zaf

The scratches and chips etc come with the wide rims versus tyres. Another reason why I think we've gone too far in the wide stakes. Motos have figured out not to go above 50%, yet super wides in Mtb have gone well above that. Might also be contributing to cracked rims - unsure if it's this or just too low a pressure.
How wide it too wide?