LIGHTS MEGATHREAD - all questions on riding lights asked and answered here!!!

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
His lights will look like a pizza...I had a buddy way back made a nite ride light with a car head light. Battery set up was.heavy!

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
Be the first man!! You'd be visible from space one would hope....

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Somewhere in this thread there is a person who is using one of them, if you back-read.

For me that shit is waaaaay overkill. You'd have to be wearing sunglasses when using them and there's very little point in night riding with that much light. Although, I started off night riding due to time constraints in the day, so I understand that not everyone is after the challenge of hitting trails in the dark. Maybe if you don't care about the "night" aspect of it all maybe these lights are for you.

Zam

Likes Dirt
OK now I am a little confused...

I was looking for a 1800lm to mount on my helmet to go with the solar storm I have for the handle bars, but then I noticed it came with a 4.2v battery pack, so I thought I would check what the solar storms came with only to find conflicting reports some sellers were quoting 8.4v and others 4.2 of various man for the battery packs.

I would like to get a new light with a battery pack that can be compatible with either light.

So does anyone know which volt battery the solar storms come with? Or doesn't it matter?

redbruce

Eats Squid

I was looking for a 1800lm to mount on my helmet to go with the solar storm I have for the handle bars, but then I noticed it came with a 4.2v battery pack, so I thought I would check what the solar storms came with only to find conflicting reports some sellers were quoting 8.4v and others 4.2 of various man for the battery packs.

I would like to get a new light with a battery pack that can be compatible with either light.

So does anyone know which volt battery the solar storms come with? Or doesn't it matter?
A quick google search seems to show that 8.4V is the common voltage (actually I couldnt find any at 4.2, you sure thats right? - whats the charger voltage) for solarstorms, as it is for all decent lights designed for offroad use.

Power is current (amps) x voltage (volt). To get high power from lower voltages you need high current, which is limited to 3 ish amps for the LED discussed in this thread but unless they have a good regulator (ie high cost and generally deliver the high outputs claimed) will only run 2 amps max to prevent frying the LED due to poor current management.

For example:
http://www.brightbikelights.com/solarstorm-x2-1500-lumen-flexible-light-set

Apart from actually being realistic/honest about the light output, specs show 2.3A at 8.4V.

Therefore to get the same light output from 4.2 V you would need approx. twice the current (~4.6A), which is well above the max current for the LED anyway.

So, all things being equal, these cheap lights will operate at no ore than 2 ish amps so your 4.2V light will produce approx half the light output of the higher voltage version.

The lower voltage goes with lower output lights light commuters use rather than what we use for offroad.

Given the low prices, you might be better to just buy two new 8.4v lights.

Last edited:

pharmaboy

Eats Squid

Go with 8.4v. Most are 8.4, and chargers are also one of the weak points and fail more often than the head units

redbruce

Eats Squid
Go with 8.4v. Most are 8.4, and chargers are also one of the weak points and fail more often than the head units
Yes. Warning sign appears to be when they start to make a slight humming sound. I've had two fail on overnight charge, one of which actually had started to melt.

Only three of our original six cheapy chargers still going, but because of the meltdown I only use the quality unit that cam with my Gloworm light and an aftermarket one (Jaycar) which cost as much as the whole cheapy light set.

Last edited:

Zam

Likes Dirt
A quick google search seems to show that 8.4V is the common voltage (actually I couldnt find any at 4.2, you sure thats right? - whats the charger voltage) for solarstorms, as it is for all decent lights designed for offroad use.
Yeah well these were the single light I was looking at for a helmet mount, description says 4.2v

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/310949176224?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

These Solarstorm description shows 8.4v

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/251336793619?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

But these show 4.2V

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SolarSto...Bicycle_Accessorries&var=&hash=item2a3c4cd228

onlock

Likes Bikes
Did abit of a test last night with my solarstorms. I have one that all 3 leds stay on for a fair while and another that drops to 1 led after 5 minutes like some others have reported. I ran both lights on high with a fan running behind them to keep them cool like and fairly cruisy ride or something slow going. The light that drops to 1 led ran for 2hrs 30mins. The other ran for 2hrs 45mins

Im pretty happy with this as running on low for climbs and for general trail riding.

Hope this helps

Also has anyone found any ways to helmet mount a solarstorm or have another cheap solution?

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Yes. Warning sign appears to be when they start to make a slight humming sound. I've had two fail on overnight charge, one of which actually had started to melt.
No way in hell will I leave my SolarStorm chargers running without constant observation. They've been fine so far but I am not interested in risking waking up to my kitchen being remodeled by flame.

The light that drops to 1 led ran for 2hrs 30mins. The other ran for 2hrs 45mins
Also has anyone found any ways to helmet mount a solarstorm or have another cheap solution?
YEah, I gotta say, I'm pretty darned happy so far at how long my SolarStorms run for.

I use cable ties to attach my lights to my lid. I'm going to switch to some decent rubber bands instead though as cutting ties each time I go for a day ride seems like a waste of resources.

Can take pics if you want.

ChopSticks

Banned
I use cable ties to attach my lights to my lid. I'm going to switch to some decent rubber bands instead though as cutting ties each time I go for a day ride seems like a waste of resources.

Can take pics if you want.

Look ok into some double sided velco!
works a treat :)

Art Vanderlay

Hourly daily
Let us know ASAP how they go, very keen to buy some for my wife's bike but would like a first hand report
Ok, used the sanguan thumb 1000 lumen on the road bike tonight. It is a very small light and is about the size of your thumb!
I was using a cheap 900 lumen light off ebay before this and the thumb is much brighter. For the majority of my ride I was running it at 70% and was more than adequate for the road. I ride country roads out the middle of nowhere, so no street lights.
I think it would be a good light for mountain biking, will test it out in the next few days in the bush (though it will mostly be used for the road). I normally use ayups for mountain biking.
1 year warranty, pretty good for $70 light. Battery comes with a good pouch that can be strapped to the bike easily.
Yep, happy to recommend this light. I got mine through pushy's (same price)

Oh, and one for the fuckwits thread, it only comes with about 30% charge. I was 25km from home and battery went flat. Luckily, The missus was able to come and pick me up....

Last edited: