Little Things You Hate

Tubeless

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Since when has the accepted past tense of give been gifted. When I went to school it was gave and given.
Someone gave someone the clap.
Someone has given it to Poodle.
Gifted isn't a word as far as I'm concerned.

I just hate it that little bit more than the plural of sign now being signage not signs. At least my spellchecker says signage isn't a word but it also says spellchecker isn't a word as I've just learnt.
Someone gifted poodle his Brazilian?

There are way too many signs in California, there is no reason for all that signage?

Spellchecker and I both agree they have their places.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Since when has the accepted past tense of give been gifted. When I went to school it was gave and given.
Someone gave someone the clap.
Someone has given it to Poodle.
Gifted isn't a word as far as I'm concerned.

I just hate it that little bit more than the plural of sign now being signage not signs. At least my spellchecker says signage isn't a word but it also says spellchecker isn't a word as I've just learnt.

Nobody is giving me anything...I'd even risk the clap for a little taste of the sweet nectar...

Gifted came about with people being generous and bequeathing shit. Then people became lazy ignorant arrogant and even indignant. In my joyous years building websites, use of the correct word or phrase was merely a "guideline". Some wanker compiled the official corporate dictionary to cover the made up words of executives that nobody had the balls to say "That's not a word." to. There were many times i received grief for such an attitude. It felt good to hear the nervousness in their voice when they try to confidently assert their make believe word "It is a word. I use it every day."

Learnings was a common one.

Freediver

I can go full Karen
Language evolves.
Say douches and corporate wankers who use newspeak. Everybody who says language evolves (which it does, but it's not an excuse for bad English) should be forced to read Don Watson's Death Sentence: The Decay of Public Language at gunpoint.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Say douches and corporate wankers who use newspeak. Everybody who says language evolves (which it does, but it's not an excuse for bad English) should be forced to read Don Watson's Death Sentence: The Decay of Public Language at gunpoint.
There is a huge gap between language and vernacular. Both have their legitimacy, it's when the latter replaces the former, things turn to shitith.

#knucklesisachunt
Yous don't know wat you's talkin bout.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
There is a huge gap between language and vernacular. Both have their legitimacy, it's when the latter replaces the former, things turn to shitith.

#knucklesisachunt
The gap between written language and formal or informal language, be it vernacular and/or slang, is the challenge.

The gents who were writing in Ye Old English at the turn of the century would be horrified to see what we have mangled formal written English into now. The Internet and "leet" have accelerated change I would suggest.

With respect to the typical baby boomers reaction to the latest generations written and spoken language abilities. Don't make a rigid, 100% solid connection between changing language and intelligence. There is no doubt a link, but it's over played I feel.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
*ewes

#knucklesisachunt
.....Ewes* :noidea:
Fuck yas. Time to lesson about English.

The gap between written language and formal or informal language, be it vernacular and/or slang, is the challenge.

The gents who were writing in Ye Old English at the turn of the century would be horrified to see what we have mangled formal written English into now. The Internet and "leet" have accelerated change I would suggest.

With respect to the typical baby boomers reaction to the latest generations written and spoken language abilities. Don't make a rigid, 100% solid connection between changing language and intelligence. There is no doubt a link, but it's over played I feel.
2 things...

The internet hasn't expedited the evolution of language (perhaps the devolution?). It has given the many morons who would previously have been denied a space for written communication a space in which to do so in an unchecked fashion. Sadly the stupid of the many often outweighs the correct of the few.

I have read many books from the late 1800s through to the present. The written language has changed, but not significantly. As with above, we just have more exposure to the failings of our education system, but how many of these dumbspeak people are being published? None...well not in English anyway.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Fuck yas. Time to lesson about English.

2 things...

The internet hasn't expedited the evolution of language (perhaps the devolution?). It has given the many morons who would previously have been denied a space for written communication a space in which to do so in an unchecked fashion. Sadly the stupid of the many often outweighs the correct of the few.

I have read many books from the late 1800s through to the present. The written language has changed, but not significantly. As with above, we just have more exposure to the failings of our education system, but how many of these dumbspeak people are being published? None...well not in English anyway.
You been living under a rock, last time I checked, both, Twilight & 50 Shades of Mediocrity had been published....
Can add Hungry Games, to the list of dumbspeak publishmacations. And they're just the popular ones, m8.
#knucklesisachunt

Last edited:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
You been living under a rock, last time I checked, both, Twilight & 50 Shades of Mediocrity had been published....
Can add Hungry Games, to the list of dumbspeak publishmacations. And they're just the popular ones, m8.
#knucklesisachunt
You must have missed the part where I said books. Your use of m8 touches on an interesting part of communication development. Remember the days of texting on a numerical keypad? When you were billed per text message? Oh the calamity of abbreviations that were invented...add MSN messenger to the mix and pow! I remember in the early days of touch screens and virtually unlimited texting, it was (though very briefly) considered very uncool (rude even) to use incorrect grandma. Perhaps I rolled in a different circle? A girl I was stalking even asked me to stop after a few poorly phrased texts.

Psimpson7

Likes Dirt
washing your bike and finding frame damage.... :frusty:

This is on my epic below the bottom bracket. The triangular shape in the middle of the image coming out below the cable shadow is a dent and there appears to be a crack aswell (there is also frame skin type material there so that makes the image less clear)

Even more frustrating as I was thinking about selling it....

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
washing your bike and finding frame damage.... :frusty:

This is on my epic below the bottom bracket. The triangular shape in the middle of the image coming out below the cable shadow is a dent and there appears to be a crack aswell (there is also frame skin type material there so that makes the image less clear)

Even more frustrating as I was thinking about selling it....

That'll teach you for showing it love...